Bruises Heal, My Heart Doesn't

Chapter 4

The week passes by in a slow crawl. Some days, I hung out with Danny at my house or his--which happened without incident, surprisingly; just a few outbursts--and some days, I stayed home, bored.

Finally, it's the night before school and I haven't seen Danny all day. He called me earlier to talk and then he told me he had to go because he had some last minute shopping to do.

I lay out my clothes at the end of the bed--the clothes that Danny bought me when we went to the mall that time I went to his house.

A pair of nicely-fitting black skinny jeans, a deep purple tanktop paired with a black cardigan, and purple Vans.

My phone starts ringing. It's a number I don't recognize, but I pick up anyway. "Hello?"

"Dailyn! Hey, it's your dad." Says the voice on the other end of the line. Oh. "Hi, Dad." The words feel foreign on my lips. I know Mom won't like it, but I talk to him anyway. "How are you?"

"As good as you can be in prison." He chuckles. I give a weak chuckle but I know he can tell it's forced. "I'm sorry I'm not there, kid." He says sympathetically, "I'm missing the most important moments of your life. I wish I could be there."

I sigh deeply, a lump forming in my throat from his sentimental words. "I wish you could be there, too. You never told me why you're locked up."

He hesitates before finally saying "Armed robbery."

Oh. Based to the way Mom talks about him, I could've sworn he committed murder or something.

Suddenly, it strikes me that I have no idea what my father looks like. My mom is Black with dark brown eyes and long, smooth black hair. I on the other hand have very light skin with semi-rough semi-smooth shiny black hair, and hazel eyes that change color from hazel, brown and green depending on my mood.

"What do you look like?" I ask.

"What?"

I repeat the question as I walk to the bathroom and stand in front of the mirror and examine myself.

"Well… I'm White. I have brown hair and green eyes. I'm kinda muscular. I have a tattoo of your mom's name on my wrist and yours is on my bicep."

That explains why I look like I'm mixed… I am. For years I would stand in front of this mirror and wonder why I barely look like my mother and if I could've been adopted. Now I know. At that point, an idea comes into my mind and I already know that there's no stopping myself from acting on it.

"I want to meet you." I blurt out.

"I don't think your mother would like that very much." He replies after some hesitation.

"I don't care." I go back into my room and sit on my bed, careful not to sit on my clothes. "I should have the right to see my own father."

"If you really want to."

After I get off the phone I get up and put my clothes on a hanger and hang them up in the closet. I get myself ready for bed and lay down. 'Stuart Correctional Facility.' I keep repeating in my mind. That's where my dad is and I don't care what my mom says--I'm going to see him.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=* =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

When I wake up the next morning it's 5am. I beat my alarm clock by an hour and a half. I had a dream about Jordan. I kept running after him and calling out his name but I could never catch up and he never turned around. Then Danny came and took me away, telling me to forget him and that he's not worth my time.

I sigh and get out of bed and go to the bathroom. I decide to straighten my hair since I have extra time. I take a shower and wash my hair with some good smelling shampoo and conditioner. Then I brush my teeth and stand in front of the mirror with my towel tied around me, waiting for the straightener to heat up enough that I can use it.

By the time I finish, it's five forty-seven. I go back into my room and get dressed with the clothes I layed out the day before. Now it's six twenty. I go into the living room and sit on the couch after turning on the tv. I sit there and watch some morning cartoons until my phone starts ringing, alerting me that Danny's outside.

I hop up and turn off the tv. I grab my black Jansport backpack and head out the door after taking the spare key. I lock the door before walking to Danny's car and getting in. He starts driving away.

"Where do you want to go for breakfast?" He asks, speeding down the quiet street.

"I don't know…. Aren't only fast food places open at this time?"

"We'll go to Dunkin Donuts."

I pause. I guess I'm not choosing anymore. "Are we going inside or through the drive-through?"

"I don't care."

When we get to the Dunkin Donuts near the school, we decide to go inside to order.

I get a caramel mocha latte and coffee cake muffin. Danny orders a regular coffee and a breakfast sandwich. We get our food and sit down at a table to eat.

"So I need you to take me somewhere whenever you've got time." I tell him.

"Where?"

"Stuart Correctional Facility."

I look up at him to guage his reaction. He looks confused at first, but a few seconds later, it clicks. "Is that where your dad is?"

I nod. "Yeah. I'm gonna go see him."

Danny doesn't reply. We eat in a comfortable silence. When we're done, we get back in the car.

I find myself wishing that I would see Jordan at school again. After what happened two years ago, he transferred schools and I didn't see or talk to him again. I know he left because the hatred he had for Danny… and me.

Danny starts the car and starts driving to the school.

About fifteen minutes later, we pull into the school and park next to a blue Prius. I get out of the car and throw my backpack over my shoulder. First day of school jitters fill my stomach with butterflies.

"Come on," Danny says, wrapping an arm around my waist.

I don't object. Where will I go? To hang out with my "friends"? Yeah, that'll be the day.

We go into the main office to get our schedules. There's a guy already standing up at the counter, waiting for his. Finally, the woman returns and hands over the white paper to the boy. He turns and I gasp. Those blue eyes pierce mine with a hint of something behind them and just as quickly, it's gone and his face is blank.

Danny immediately recognizes him and his arm tightens around my waist. Jordan looks at his arm around my waist and I notice a muscle ticking in his jaw. I keep staring at him as he's leaving the office until Danny sharply pulls me forward. I look ahead and see the short and slender redheaded woman behind the desk. Her brown eyes light up when she sees Danny and I--probably admiring our "young love".

"We need our schedules." He says before she can ask us what she can do for us.

"Names please."

"Dailyn Kay." I answer.

"Danny Pratt."

The woman walks away and goes into another room to get the schedules. Danny turns to me.

"What's he doing back at this school?" He demands.

"You made me stop talking to him, remember? How should I know?"

He discreetly pinches my side just as the woman comes back. I keep from making a sound. She hands us our schedules and we thank her, then leave.

Once outside the office, I try to get out of his hold. He holds me tighter.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I don't want to hang out with your friends, Danny. Besides, if I talk to one of them, you're gonna get all mad. I'm going to hang out alone."

"Fine. I'll see you later."

He finally lets me go and I walk away. Danny's friends have to be the most arrogant and cocky guys in all of North Dakota and I hate hanging out with them.

I bump into a wall and my backpack falls on the floor. I start to bend to pick it up until I notice another pair of hands already picking it up and dusting it off, then handing it to me.

"Sorry, Sage."

Huh? No one calls me Sage except Jordan, Mark, and their friends.

I look up and see a tall muscular guy with dark brown hair. His green eyes are kind and there's a smile on his pink lips.

"Mark?" I ask.

"Wow. I'm surprised you remember me."

I quirk my head slightly to th right. "What does that mean?"

Mark shrugs. "Seems like the only guy you've been focused on anymore is your boyfriend. Well, I'll see you around, okay?"

He starts walking away while I stand there, trying to figure out what he meant by that. The only guy you've been focused on anymore is your boyfriend.

I look at my schedule and look at my first class so I can get there first and get a good seat. AP English Literature and Composition.

I start walking to building one. About halfway there, the bell rings. When I finally get to the building, the hallway is flooded with students. Someone lightly hits my shoulder as they pass by. I recognize Jordan in his white v-neck tshirt.

"Jordan!" I call, but he doesn't reply. "Jordan!" Even louder this time by now, some of the kids had stopped and are staring at me like I'm a wild animal that needs to be tamed. "Jordan!"

He turns his head without missing a step and sends me a look. Then he looks ahead again and continues to walk away. Ouch. I didn't know he hates me that much.

I sigh and continue down the hallway to my first class. The teacher, a young guy--maybe in his 20s--is standing at the door, holding it open for the students. I smile politely and try not to stare at him too long. Wow, no doubt the girls will be all over him.

I scan the available seats in the class and inwardly groan when I notice Jordan sitting in the middle and an empty seat next to him. I will do anything--ANYTHING--to avoid sitting in that seat. He probably doesn't want me sitting next to him anyway. I notice Mark sitting in the back. There's a blonde-haired blue-eyed boy sitting next to him. I walk up to him and he looks up at me, a smirk on his face. Mark looks up.

"Hey, do you think I can have your seat?" I ask politely.

"Why would I do that?" The boy asks.

"I'm nearsighted and that seat in the middle just won't do." I lie smoothly, "Plus Mark and I have some catching up to do."

The boy contemplates only a moment before picking up his backpack and moving to the empty seat by Jordan. "Only because you're hot." I hear him mutter under his breath.

Mark scoffs incredulously as I sit next to him. I look at him and give a small smile, which he returns. At least one of my old friends is happy to see me.

The bell that signals the beginning of class rings and the teacher lets the door swing closed as he comes in and stands at the front of the room.

"Hi," he greets with ardor, "I'm Mr. Kay." He runs a hand through his dark brown hair and smiles, showing off his pearly whites. "I'm sure you guys don't want to hear my whole life story so--"

"No, no Mr.!" Yell out a few girls frantically. "We do!"

Mr. Kay chuckles, his green-blue eyes lighting up with amusement. Stupid girls, I think, he's not interested! He's like, twenty-six!

Mr. Kay tells us about himself for about fifteen minutes. Apparently, he's twenty-seven. I was so close. When he's done telling us about himself, he asks us to tell the class about ourselves. We have to stand up and say it.

When it's finally my turn, I recieve a kind smile from Mr. Kay as I stand shyly from my desk. Everybody looks back at me. A few girls stare at me with contempt and most of the guys look at me with lust. All except Mark and Jordan. Mark probably because he never saw me like that, but Jordan…. He's staring at me with a blank expression. I can't even read his eyes and when I try to catch his eye he just turns away from me.

"I'm Dailyn," I start shakily, "and I'm seventeen. One thing everyone should know about me is--"

"Sexy!" Some guy calls out, trying to cover it up with a cough.

"Um, bitch!" A girl calls out the same way and all of her friends around her start laughing.

I feel my face getting hot and my breathing gets shallow as my palms start to sweat. Oh my gosh! I wish a giant hole would just form right now and swallow me up. I look at Jordan and see a muscle ticking in his jaw and his fists clenched. He probably wants to say something about me, too. Well, thanks for holding back.

Mr. Kay glares at the students. "Detention. After school. With me." He says. The girl tosses her platinum blonde hair over her shoulder and smolders at our teacher with a seductive smile. "I wouldn't mind that at--" "Cleaning the cafeteria." The blonde stops short as Mr. Kay's words sunk in. "I just got my nails done!" Mr. Evans smirks. "Maybe you should have cleaned out your mouth while you were at it."

Mr. Kay looks at me again, waiting for me to continue. But I can't even remember where I left off. I can't think of anything but how embarrased I feel right now.

"Can I just… sit?" I ask quietly.

"Ugh. Please do." Blondie stage whispers. Again, all of her friends giggle; quietly this time.

Mr. Kay shoots her a look then returns his attention to me. "You can sit."

I quickly sit down, my face flushing. I look over at Jordan to see him just the same as before, his knuckles white with the force of which his fists were clenched. I put my head down. I don't care if all of my other classes go well. I tell myself, this is the worst first day of school ever.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=* =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Lunch doesn't come fast enough. I walk out of third period hand in hand with Danny.

"You okay, babe?" Danny asks, "You've seemed pretty distant."

I consider lying to him, but I know that he'll soon uncover it anyway. "This girl was messing with me in first period. No big deal… not really."

He squeezes my hand. "It'll be fine. I promise. Do you want to go off campus with me?"

I shrug, uncaring. I walk silently by his side as he leads me towards the front of the school and right out the fence.

"Where are we going?" I ask as I start to wonder why we aren't taking his car. I spot a few guys across the street smoking but I can tell that they're not smoking cigarettes.

Danny leans against the fence and I stand there with my arms crossed over my chest as he takes a pack of ciggarettes and a lighter out of his pocket. He hands me the lighter and puts the cigarette in his mouth.

"Could you light me babe?" He mutters.

I shakily light the butt and shove the lighter back into his pocket. Danny grabs my hands and pulls me against him, opening his legs wider so that I'm standing comfortably in the middle of his legs with my hands on his chest. "Ready?" He asks. I nod. We used to do this when our relationship was still fairly young. Danny had recently discovered smoking and he wanted me to join him most of the time. But soon after it started, I stopped; Danny didn't. He'd gotten hooked.

He takes a drag and blows out the smoke. I open my mouth and inhale it as he does, then turn my head and blow it out. I wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat and breathing.

He snakes an arm around my waist and rests his hand on my butt giving it a light squeeze.

A few minutes later, he takes my hand and slowly brings it up. I look at him. He takes the cigarette butt and presses it into my wrist. "Masochist." He smirks when he hears me moan quietly.

I look away from him, my cheeks turning bright red. He takes advantage of my exposed neck and starts to kiss it, slowly rolling his tongue over my weak spot.

"Danny…" I warn, though it comes out as a slight moan. I feel him smile in satisfaction against my skin. I take a step away from him. "We should go back." He sighs, rolling his eyes. "Fine. Let's go."

He takes my hand and leads me back inside the school. We get on campus just as the bell rings for fourth period.

"What do you have?" Danny asks me. I take out ny schedule and glance at it. "Phys. Ed." I reply, groaning. "Me too. Come on."

We walk to the gym, Danny's arm possesively draped across my shoulders, my arm around his waist. When we get to the front door of the gym, I look back. Jordan….

As if he heard me, his amazing blue-gray eyes lock on mine. But a second later, he looks away. I sigh and turn around. Great, I'll have a class with Danny and Jordan--two sworn enemies.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=* =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

"Tomorrow, you'd better come prepared with your gym clothes!" Shouts Coach Greene at all his students as we race out of the gym, ready to go home. That's going to be my hardest class… I can tell.

I watch Jordan--the only student casually walking out of school--as Danny and I make our way toward his car. This time, he doesn't notice me looking at him. I watch him laugh with a passing friend… he looks so happy. He won't even spare me a smile.

"Who are you looking at?"

I immediaely turn around. "No one…" I answer Danny.

We make it to his car and he unlocks the doors. I get in quickly as he walks around to the other side and gets in himself.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=* =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Danny pulls into his driveway and I unbuckle my seatbelt and get out. We walk into his house and go upstairs to his room. I discard my backpack on the floor and climb up on his bed and sit down.

He throws his backpack near mine. "I'll be right back." He tells me. Then he leaves.

Glancing around the room, I notice something sticking out of his drawer. I go and open it and pick it up. It's a small black notebook. Hm. What's this? I flip it open and stare at the pages.

Cary Smith 547-5578 GOOD

Reese Mander 314-7856 GOOD

Brianna Peff 398-7568 REALLY GOOD

Beth Grant 218-7377 BAD

All I see on the pages are girls' names and numbers and ratings next to them along with quick notes like flexible, loud, and cuddler.

"Day?"

I jump and shove the book back into its place and close the drawer. I turn around and look at Danny who's standing in the doorway.

"What were you just doing?" He asks, coming closer until he's standing right in front of me.

I sigh, shaking my head. "N-nothing."

"Oh really?" He grabs my wrists, shaking me. "I saw you looking through my stuff!"

"I saw the book!" I yell. "With all those girls in it…. Have you been cheating on me, Danny?"

He doesn't answer immdiately. Suddenly his palm is connecting with my cheek. "Don't you EVER go through my private things again! Damn it, Dailyn!"

"I'm sorry…" I look down at my shoulder.

His fast angry breaths lead me to believe he'll hit me again. My hunch only gets confirmed when he reaches out and pushes me onto the floor and starts hitting me.