Forbidden Love

The Manager

When I got to my cabin, I creped in as quietly as I could and into my room; I sat down on my bed and waited for more tear to come. My face fell into my hands as they appeared, with each tear that fell the harder I cried. I collapsed on my pillow, not bothering to pull the blanket over me. That night I cried myself to sleep.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

When I woke up, the next morning, I felt miserable. So miserable I didn’t even want to reread the letters I had received yesterday from him. I didn’t even go to breakfast and when my mother came to check on me I just said I was feeling ill, which to some level was true.

I slept most of the day but when it was around the time Sarah came by, a little after noon to clean and drop off my letters, I decided I would go walk around the ship. Maybe, just maybe, it would keep my mind off of him.

Once I was dressed, I went outside and the smell of the salty ocean hit me hard, filling my senses. I walked over to the rail and looked out into the sea; the water was beautiful. The waves tumbled over each other in what I thought was a marvelous dance. There was a light breeze in the air and I felt a little comfort as it blew through my hair in a breezy whisper.

My thoughts drifted. They went to my family. How my father despised almost anyone who was different from him.

Stop, I thought to myself.

If I continued thinking like that I would soon start thing about him.

But why not? I asked myself.

I love him. I love everything about him, but if I kept thinking I would, no doubt, go and find him. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with the lovely fresh air, turned and for the rest of the day waked around the ship, over and over again.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

By the time I was done walking, and was on my way back to my cabin, it was dark. As usual the floor was disserted but it seemed very peaceful and quiet. At least that’s what I thought.

As I walked past one of the dark rooms that led into a different eating area two strong hands came around my mouth and waist, pulling me into the pitch back room. I tried to scream but they were muffled by the hand covering my mouth. The next thing I knew the man who grabbed me shut the door and I heard the lock click.

“Don’t you dare make a sound. You hear me? Are you going to make a sound?” the words were said in my ear were hard and mean.

I shook my head quickly. His hands fell away from me and I stood as still as I could, even though I was trembling. I heard him move around the room then a lamp turned on, lighting up most of the room.

The man’s back was to me when he started to speak, “Forgive me Ms. Edwards. I didn’t mean to frighten you.” He sounded cruel and very angry.

“It’s alright,” I said in a barely audible whisper.

He turned and rushed towards me, obviously angrier than before. His face was very close to mine as he grabbed my arms, right above my elbows, and gave me a hard shake. “I thought I told you not to make a sound!” he said through clenched teeth and gave me another hard shake.

I didn’t do anything. Couldn’t do anything because I was so terrified.

He sighed, heavily, and then said, “Do you know who I am, Ms. Edwards? Just shake or nod your head.”

I shook my head, slowly.

He chuckled, “Well, I’m the man you beloved boyfriend works for.” He smiled, “I’m the manager, Mr. MacCullen.”

My eyes widened as my mind screamed no. I wanted out of there. I wanted out of there now! I wanted O’Reilly.

He continued, “I’ve been watching you and Mr. Quinn for sometime now.”

I closed my eyes tight and shook my head.

He snorted, “I’ll just get straight to business. You and Mr. Quinn better to stop seeing each other. If you don’t, I will personally make sure he is put in jail.” I opened my eyes to see him smiling. “You may speak now. Quietly.”

“On what charges?”

“On false ones, of course. I know you’re father hates the Irish and I happen to hate them myself, but the make very good workers,” he replied, cruelly. “So I have better not see you two together ever again or else.”

“I’m sorry but I can’t do what you’re asking me.”

He frowned, his eyes narrowing. “And why is that?”

I looked him straight in the eyes, “Because I want to be with him. I love him and he loves me.” I raised my voice, “And there’s not a da-”

Mr. MacCullen slapped me across the face so hard I fell back onto my buttock. There was no doubt I would have a bruise on my face later.

“I’m leaving you with this final warning Ms. Edwards. If you don’t do as I have asked, you and your precious O’Reilly will be sorry.” With that he left the room.

I rubbed my already swollen cheek as I got to my feet. I was surprised to feel tears on my cheek; I hadn’t realized I was crying. It wasn’t that far of a walk back to my cabin and my cheek, other than being swollen, was probably still red, so I walked slowing.

When I did arrive at my cabin, which was only five minutes sooner than I would have arrived normally, my cheek was more swollen than it had been earlier. Unfortunately for me when I entered the cabin my mother was sitting on the couch by the window.

She look at me and was instantly on her feet and coming towards me, “Bella, darling, what on earth happened?”

“I…fell when I was on my walk. Sorry, I had a clumsy moment,” I lied easily.

She gave me a hesitant look, “Let’s go get some ice for that.”

I nodded and followed her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one.

COMMENTS!