Status: Active.

Oculos Patentes

watch as the monlight

The day we met wasn’t some earth shattering moment; time didn’t stop, I didn’t feel like we were the only two people in the room, it wasn’t love at first sight. The day we met was just like any other day, but it was only later that I realized it was the day that changed everything.

Avery Ryder had lived in the same suburb as me all my life, but we never spoke. She was an average girl, with long blonde hair and eyes so blue you’d think God had picked up a handful of the ocean and placed it in her irises. She was quiet, and based on the fact that I had no classes with her, she was smart. She kept to herself a lot and that was odd compared to most of the other kids in our town, but it was unique; no one likes someone who’s just like everyone else, anyways.

Although I had known of her and seen her around for as long as I can remember, the day I really met Avery Ryder was the first day of the second semester of our senior year of high school. I was sitting in the school’s office, waiting for my counselor to call my name before leading me to their office, when she entered. She was walking slowly, cautiously, as if one big step would make the floor shatter beneath her. Her hair was up in a messy bun atop her head, strands falling loosely around her face. I felt like she was staring right at me, right through me even, but her eyes were distant and had a faraway look in them.

The secretary noticed her and immediately ran to her side, taking her hand and leading her to sit in a chair two down from the one I was currently occupying, hushed words being exchanged before Ms. Hastings returned to her desk and started dialing a phone number. I could see the tension in Avery’s shoulders, the vein bulging on her neck, the quick breaths falling from her lips.

I found myself asking her if she was okay before my brain had even registered the fact that I was concerned. She looked up from where she had laced her fingers together, her brow furrowing in confusion as she looked around the room. I was right next to her, hadn’t she seen me? I reached out hesitantly, my hand grazing her arm. She jumped underneath my touch before finally turning her head in my direction.

“Hey, you gonna be okay?” I questioned, the amount of concern in my voice surprising even myself. She let out a breath, a small smile coming to her lips, but it didn’t reach her eyes.

“I always am,” she told me, a choked sound escaping her throat that made it seem like she definitely was not always okay, but before I could voice my opinion, Ms. Hastings was making her way over to us, a cup of water in her hands before handing it off to Avery and muttering,

“Your parents are on their way honey.”

Avery nodded and I sat there with a confused look on my face, so many questions flittering around in my brain. I didn’t get a chance to ask any of them as Avery stood on shaky legs, letting out an even shakier breath as she smoothed down her floral skirt and turned to me saying,

“Goodbye John.”

And I wondered how she had even known my name, along with all the other wonders now making themselves present in my thoughts. Who was this girl?
♠ ♠ ♠
New story. I have big big plans for this, & I also plan on trying to get back on track with my other stories, but we'll see how that goes....

Please comment & subscribe! I would greatly appreciate it (:

Ps: The story name is Latin, kudos to anyone who knows what it means.