Light Eyes; DarK Eyes

Chapter 15

Two months passed, and the season turned from summer to fall. Aurora still went, everyday, to the markets and the courtyard. The small class was doing very well, they could each hold for several minutes against Aurora. But Aurora had changed some, ever since Aiden had left. She was still a cheerful, hardworking, young woman; but she seemed a little…wiser. She was more aware of the world now. She still wore the stone, never taking it off.
Aurora was curious, though. Why had Aiden left this? Aside from its emotional significance to him. More importantly, perhaps—why had his sister given it too him when they were children? She knew that stones, like flowers, had meanings. Did it have a special meaning, or was it just what he felt he could leave? It wasn’t until she found a little occult shop that she had a chance to ask. The occult shop was little more than a shed. An old, kindly looking woman sat inside. She was selling a young housewife some herbs to make an ointment to heal small cuts with, for her young son, who apparently had a habit of cutting himself on any available edge. The young woman went away smiling gratefully. Aurora stepped forward. The old woman’s smile was warm as she greeted the princess.
“What a surprise, Princess Aurora.” She started to rise, to curtsy.
“Please, don’t get up. I had a question for you, actually.” The woman sat back down. Aurora took off the necklace, and handed it to her.
“Does this stone mean anything?” It sounded like a fairly innocent comment, but the woman raised an eyebrow.
“This is…obsidian. It’s fairly rare around here. Let me see…I believe it means ‘mutual affection’. It’s a protection stone, generally. Very effective against negative energy. I assume someone gave that to you?” She asked, her eyes kind. Aurora blushed.
“Uh—yes, he—I mean, yes, it was given to me.” She stammered, not expecting that question. The woman smiled softly.
“Whoever gave you that cares about you greatly. It was a thoughtful gift.” She said. She pulled a small packet out.
“This is rosemary. It helps remembrance.” She put it and the necklace in Aurora’s hand. Stunned, Aurora put on the necklace, and pulled out a coin. The woman held up a hand.
“No, Princess. This is my gift to you. Please, take it. I will not accept your coin.” She said with another smile. “Take it and remember your lover.”
“We—we weren’t—lovers,” Aurora said, not sure if she could accept it. The smile never faded.
“You needn’t have made love to be lovers, dear. Loving each other is plenty.” Aurora blushed when she said that. The woman chuckled. “You say that you ‘weren’t’. He is still of this world, I hope?”
“Yes. I think so. I hope so.” She said ferverently.
“I think that you would know if he left it, my dear. I wish you a happy reunion.” Aurora thanked her and left with a light heart.

She did think about Aiden. Now that she really tried, or maybe the rosemary was helping, she could remember the exact sound of his voice, of the laughter that she and he had shared. How he had slowly grown from merely an odd acquaintance—for she had never really thought of him as a prisoner, because he wasn’t the sort of person that acted like one—into a friend, and finally into the object of her affection and adoration. A tear slipped from her eye, and she smiled. Aurora was still sad that he had left, but she was glad for his parting gift. Both of them, for she now believed that he had indeed kissed her.
“Princess Aurora!” A messenger ran up, and saluted. A sudden bout of déjà vu hit her. She shook her head to clear it, and returned the salute, allowing him to speak.
“Your father, the King, would like to see you immediately in his study, highness.” She could almost hear Aiden telling off another messenger, some months ago.
“Princess?” She was snapped out of her daze to see the messenger looking concerned. “Are you alright?” She laughed.
“I’m fine. Thank you, I’ll go see my father. Dismissed.” She sent him on her way, before heading up to her father’s study.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Gags on the cheesiness* Its almost over! Soon i can toss him over a cliff and get on with Robin Hood! Oh wait...i shouldn't have said that. Shoot.