Light Eyes; DarK Eyes

Chapter 20

Mathias looked down at the girl he held. Judging by the bruises on her face, and the blood on her legs, the King had truly put her through the wringer, in more ways than one. Aiden was right in thinking that Ohrir would’ve killed her, first chance he got. The heir slipped into her borrowed room, unseen by any of the guards. He laid Aurora on the bed, pulling the sheets over her. Mathias wasn’t going to betray Aiden by touching her, even to change her clothes. Besides, it would be more than embarrassing if she woke up, or her father walked in.
He went to the door, pausing only for a second, to look back. She turned over, looking for a body’s heat that wasn’t there. A muffled word could be heard, sounding vaguely like his cousin’s name. Mathias shook his head. He hoped that their relationship—whatever it was—wouldn’t be too affected by this. He left, closing and locking the door behind him.

It was finally the night of the new moon. The Celestine party had extended their alleged business to make it, Aurora ignoring the danger she knew she was in. They left late that evening after a very careful dinner with King Ohrir, discussing the safe topic of game hunting. Aurora’s nerves twanged to get out, and for Aiden to be gotten out, but she knew that the longer they dawdled, the better the chances of the mission being a success.
After four courses; four long, arduous courses of food that tasted like sawdust in her mouth, they were ready to conclude the conversation, and leave the palace. The king disappeared right after dinner, to finish up some more ‘particularly boring and unpleasant business.’ Celadon and Aurora exchanged a glance, before hurrying back to the rooms that they had been staying in, to grab the few (very few) belongings that were still there. The Celestine men that they had brought with them, all loyal soldiers, were all quite ready to leave. They hadn’t actually met the Darric king, but they could see his influence all over the place. The maids were frightened of their own shadows. The Darric guards weren’t alert, and all of them were too young or too old. A group of men without livery, all of whom were far too ominous for comfort, patrolled the hallways like thunderclouds. This wasn’t a palace; it was the headquarters of a tyrant.
♠ ♠ ♠
To assauge any fears--this story is finished--their fates have been determined! I'm just an erratic updater. Sorry. Don't worry, the end is in sight.
PS: I'm starting to post my Robin Hood fic. Comments are GOD!