Light Eyes; DarK Eyes

Chapter 23

Two months passed in a flash. Before Aurora knew it, they were wed. No one had been expecting any different, despite what her father said. They were preparing to go back to Darria—for talks of an alliance to commence. The entire city was buzzing with talk about the upcoming trip. Judging by their early-morning jaunts to the markets, if seemed like most of the city wanted the war to end as much as they did. The dissenters were few and far in between, most people had wanted their children and spouses to stop fighting for what were now lost causes. The next logical step after that was an alliance.
With Mathias now as king, and the common people behind him, it was the work of a minute to convince the remaining nobility and sign a peace and alliance agreement. Aiden was accepted back into the country, his assassination of the late king had never been proved, and wasn’t much investigated either. The party stayed for three weeks in the beautiful city. Aiden and Aurora often disappeared into the city or surrounding countryside during their days there. Aiden took her to his childhood haunts, and told her some of the happier stories of his past.

It took almost half the day to get to the Ritgar Fissure, a steep canyon not far away from the Vena forest. They had been planning to stop there, to loosen the horses’ girths, but it soon became clear how much of a mistake this was.
The surrounding area was bandit country.
It was almost astonishing that the riders hadn’t been waylaid two months earlier, but even brigands have to sleep. Aurora’s people and the few Darrics that had come to see them off—Mathias, and a few guards—were set upon on all sides, very close to the edge of the fissure.
It was unlucky, most would say, that Aurora’s opponent was so much larger than she was. He was a giant, by most standards, around seven feet tall and proportionally broad ‘cross the shoulders. They engaged in combat.
The fighting didn’t last long. The escort was made up of highly trained soldiers, and they were quickly repelling the bandits. Mathias had already dispatched his opponents; two had fallen under his blade, while another two had fled. Others were following their lead, and fleeing, but that was not what had drawn his eye. Aurora was losing ground rapidly, and the cliff edge loomed nearer.
“Aiden!” The man looked up from his fight, blocking a blow that would have disemboweled him. He spotted the same dilemma that Mathias had. With a shout, he disengaged; and propelled by desperation, rushed to Aurora’s side.
Another clash of blades forced the Celestine princess back. Her foot missed the cliff edge, throwing her balance off—over. For an instant, time stopped around her. An arm wrapped around her waist, half pulling, half pushing her back onto firm ground. She caught a glimpse of red eyes and a flashing blade spinning away from its owner, as the giant also lost his balance, and he and Aiden took her place answering to Dame Gravity.
Only Mathias’s tight grip around her waist kept her from bounding after them. She struggled wildly, tears springing to her eyes. She seemed incapable of speaking at the moment, but merely strained to get free.
“Aurora—stop it! He’s gone—don’t throw his sacrifice away!” Mathias hissed at her without any true anger. Either that or exhaustion caused her to go limp in his arms. Tears flowed freely down her face. Her father came over quickly, having seen what had occurred. Celadon gently took her from the newly appointed Darric king, rocking her back and forth; just as he had when she was a very young child.

Bright light surrounded Aurora in her dream. She was sitting in her bedroom, on the floor, for whatever reason. That made sense; she was asleep, after all. Where was Aiden? She had seen him fall over the edge, but…it didn’t seem real to her. A gasp left her as a sudden vision of blood floating through water surprised her. Shaking her head in confusion, she found she couldn’t see it anymore. Strange. She shrugged, unconcerned; still half expecting Aiden to walk into the room, even in her dream. Footsteps made her turn around, light ones. Aiden stood there, right next to her; a small, odd smile on his face; bringing an even larger one to hers.
“Aiden!” She threw herself into his embrace, pulling him down to her level. He held her close for a moment, before pulling back. The smile was gone as he kissed her; a slow, gentle kiss. A…sad kiss, almost. He pulled away too early, and backed up. Confused, she tried to take a hold of his hand, his sleeve, anything that would keep him there.
“Take care of yourself and our daughter, love.” It was soft, so soft, she could have imagined it.
“Aiden? Where—?” the barest smile yet, and the saddest tugged at his mouth. He was…fading? The light seemed to be swallowing him…blood dripped from his temple, staining his light colored clothing. Blood slid down to his chin as well, from the edge of his mouth. Why was he so hurt? It looked like the light was wrapping around him, pulling him unwillingly away. Aiden’s eyes closed, and the smile remained…He disappeared into the light, dragged away.
“Aiden! No—please come back! Don’t—don’t leave—”

A healer came out of her bedroom, grim eyed. The king sprang to his feet, not liking the expression on his face.
“Well?” He demanded. The man shrugged.
“She’s in shock, sire. I don’t think she entirely accepts what happened yet. I can’t do anything for her until she comes to that conclusion by herself. I’m sorry.” The man apologized. Celadon shook his head.
“It’s not your fault. Thank you.” He said, disheartened by this news.
“Um—I recommend that you have a midwife by the name of Milda come in. She knows older herb lore, and might be able to help the princess.” The healer said, borderline nervously. He wasn’t going to be the one to inform Celadon. The king nodded, smiling his thanks without any real hope.

The midwife was brought in, rather bemusedly. She was the same woman that had given Aurora the rosemary two months ago and had met Aiden almost immediately upon his return. She went into the room and didn’t come out for a very long time. Hours seemed to tick by, though only one had passed. The king paced and sat at intervals. He was considering going in to see just what was taking so long when Milda came out. He looked up, searching her face for something to be hopeful for.
“Well, your Majesty, I think she should be alright.” A smile started to light up his face, but was forestalled by the grim look on her face.
“What’s wrong?” He asked, brow furrowing.
“I’m worried that her grief may affect her child…” The midwife explained.
Celadon blinked a few times. “Child…?”
She nodded, an eyebrow raised. “Yes. Princess Aurora is with child. Aiden was the father.” She said slowly, apparently trying to make what should have been perfectly obvious understandable.
“Aurora…and Aiden…have a…child?” he seemed to be stunned by this news.
She nodded again. “Yes, your highness. In about eight months, provided that there are no complications, Aurora will give birth to her and Aiden’s child.” She said encouragingly.
“Oh.” He absorbed this. “I’m going to have a grandchild.” He said, his voice midway between awe and trepidation. “Oh gods…You’re positive?” He asked, half afraid that this was an elaborate joke.
Milda nodded again, confirming it. The news would be all over the city before the week was out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now, how many of you are going to go read the optional epilogue, where i play god and fix their lives? MESSAGE~and you shall have a cookie. ^_^