Light Eyes; DarK Eyes

Optional Epilogue for a happy ending.

It had been six years since Aiden had last seen the city he considered home. He could only hope that his presence wouldn’t disturb balances that were better left undisturbed. He couldn’t help it, he had to see her. Six years had been torture. It had taken almost two years to recover from the tumble off a cliff. Then he’d had to take the long way back, due to impassible mountains and the cliffs. That had taken four years, total, including waiting for the passes to melt, and then the river to freeze. And then waiting for the other mountains to let up their blizzards. Aiden had decided firmly that he never wanted to see another mountain in his life.
The city’s gates were open when he arrived there. He could almost see her. Shaking his head to dispel hallucinations, he hurried through the streets. Aiden was surprised to see other Darrics there, but reminded himself of the successful treaty. Surely six years is enough for tentative ventures by courageous merchants and artisans, right?
He was getting into the markets now. Oh gods, would she even see him? What if she’d married another man? Aiden wouldn’t blame her if she had. Aurora probably thought he was dead.
Aiden nearly went down under a sudden assault to his knees. He looked down to see a thatch of black hair shake itself dazedly. The face underneath it looked up suddenly, a wide grin on it. He froze. Aurora’s eyes shined up at him good naturedly.
“Hiyah, mister!” She was missing a tooth. “You okay, mister?” She looked more curious than concerned, with a child’s innocence of pain and illness.
“I’m—fine, I guess.” He found himself picking her up off the ground.
“Phanks—whoa…” the girl was staring at Hiraka, who had miraculously survived the cliff as well. “Yore sword’s HUGE, mister.” She stated, reaching out to touch the scabbard—the one he’d had to have replaced. “My momma’s only started ta teach me. You must be a MASTER with it.” She looked up reverently at him. This was definitely Aurora’s daughter. He wanted to say his as well, but he wasn’t out of uncertain waters yet. There were others with black hair around here now.
“My name’s Niamh,” the six year old stuck out a grubby hand. Aiden tried hard not to laugh at her straightforwardness, and took her hand, shaking it gently.
“I’m Aiden. Niamh, shouldn’t you be with your mother?” he asked, knowing that Aurora would never let her daughter come to any harm. Niamh stuck out her tongue.
“I hate lessons.” She said as way of explanation. This time he did laugh, something he hadn’t done in a while. Like mother, like daughter.
“Ha. I knew you were hers. I don’t blame you. Your mother never liked them either.” He laughed. She looked at him confusedly.
“You know Momma?” she suddenly grew excited. “Do you know who my father is, mister Aiden?” She asked, clutching at his sleeve, excitement brightening her eyes even more. Aiden felt something twist in his stomach; guilt, perhaps.
“I don’t know. Maybe we should find your mum. She might be able to tell you, Niamh.” A reassuring smile that he didn’t feel covered his face, fueling the girl’s excitement. She dragged him along with her, toward the palace courtyard.
“Come on, mister!” He allowed her to pull him, stooping a bit to let her keep a hold on his hand. They entered the courtyard, Niamh releasing him at the doorway to rush to her mother. Aurora. It was almost staggering how much he had missed her, and he could have quietly stood there just staring at her for hours. How could he have thought that he might have been able to leave if it became apparent that she no longer wanted him? He wanted nothing more than to take her in his arms and beg her to have him back. He watched dazedly as Niamh told her about ‘the tall swordsman’ that she’d met.
Aurora listened patiently, there were a lot of swordsmen in the city that were tall, and most of them knew her, more or less.
“An’—an’ he’s got these pretty red eyes and a HUGE sword, momma!” That caught her attention.
“Is it Uncle Mathias, Niamh?” She asked quickly, knowing that it could only be Mathias. It had happened before, and it always sent a jolt of hurt through her.
“No, Momma. I know who Unk Mathias is.” Niamh said, shaking her head adamantly. Aurora felt her heart leap. There were no other red-eyed royals, with any skill with notable skill with a weapon, that would be in Celestia, were there?
“Where is he, right now, Niamh?” She almost demanded, receiving a puzzled look from her daughter.
“Right over there,” she said, pointing him out.

To anyone that had never seen Aurora move purely out of need, it came as a surprise that their queen could move so incredibly quickly. Of course, Aiden moved just as fast, if not more so. He had had no child to occupy his mind and heart with.
It was almost as though the past six years had never happened. Or, rather, they had happened, but nothing had changed about their feelings. Certainly, no one seeing their impassioned kiss could or would ever doubt the power of a miracle again. It was only barely categorized as a kiss, and only because their lips were touching. It was more like they were trying to make up for six years of lost time right there in the middle of the courtyard.
They were lucky that someone as understanding as Milda had been there to stop them. She did it exceedingly delicately, too. Plainly put, she emptied a bucket of cold water over their heads. Very cold water.
“Now really. Going at it right here in the middle of the courtyard. Have you no shame? Leave that for your bed. Goodness!” Aiden didn’t even look abashed, although Aurora blushed even brighter than the people that had been watching the very dramatic display of passion that had suddenly been thrust upon them.
“Of course. I apologize. Aurora; now, or do you think we can get away with two solid days, if we wait?” He asked, quite serious, despite the relieved grin. He still held her up off the ground. She kissed him again, with controlled passion this time.
“Wait. I want you to meet your daughter. And then you can explain exactly what kept you for six years.” She kissed him again. “I love you.” Another kiss.
“I can see that. Which is excellent. I would have had to kill your husband, if you’d remarried.” His voice was joking, but the relief was still quite evident. “I’m never leaving your side again.” He vowed, taking her mouth suddenly. Milda raised the bucket meaningfully. He released her, quite reluctant to have her soaked again. Aiden’s hands rose submissively.
“Alright, alright! I’m not going to touch her again. Not here, at least.” He revised. The student that had jumped to cover the young princess’s eyes cautiously removed his hands, releasing the girl.
“Niamh.” Her mother called her over. “Do you know who this is?” she asked their child. Niamh looked thoughtful for about half a second, looking from her mother’s twinkling eyes to the tall man’s huge grin.
“Well…he’s a funny man.” Her father’s eyebrows shot up. Several guards, his and his wife’s former students, chuckled. “And momma really likes him…doncha, Momma?” Aurora smiled encouragingly. “I’d say that he’s my new poppa.” Niamh came to the solid conclusion that nothing else was possible. Her new poppa scooped her up and swung her around, laughing, making her scream aloud with joy and excitement. She had always wanted to have a father to do this with her.

Aurora and Aiden never did figure out why she’d had the strange dream after their unwilling separation—though she discovered that he’d had a similar one. He hadn’t known about Niamh until he’d returned, though she certainly was no surprise. Aiden never had been able to keep his hands to himself in the months after their marriage. Her father had relinquished the throne to Aurora almost a year ago—and remarried. Milda was now Aiden’s mother-in-law.
Within a year, another little one was born, a son, with his mother’s hair and eyes. Named after his grandfather—on his mother’s side, for neither of his parents would ever even contemplate naming any child of theirs after Aiden’s father—the boy was tempered more like his father than his mother.
Several more children followed the first two. The Celestine royal family would never decline down to a mere two members for over two thousand years. Darria and Celestia forever remained close, never again would war split the two allies. The royal families often intermarried, for there were certainly enough of them to remain no closer than distant cousins between marriages. Eventually, the two nations became one. And the Gods continued to watch and play their games, entertaining themselves with the fates of those in their care, as Gods will. It was generally thought that the world was in fairly safe hands. Generally.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am God. I play with the insignificant mortals...it's fun.
Now...if you liked it...Message me. I will update Robin Hood, if you do. I want messages on Robin. I worked hard on that, and i'm inscure about my baby.