Light Eyes; DarK Eyes

Chapter 5

For the first few weeks, Aiden was a figure to be feared and mistrusted. Aurora couldn’t leave him alone in the rooms; he scared the maids even when he was sleeping. This point was proved when he was napping on the couch, having nothing better to occupy himself with, and one of them saw him. She screamed loudly enough to bring the entire guard and Aurora into the room, while Aiden picked himself up off the floor, on the opposite side of the couch’s back. After ten minutes of explaining that he was supposed to be there, and that he wasn’t going to eat her, all was well and good.
“I like my maids’ medium rare, thanks.” Aiden remarked in Darric, straight faced. Aurora sent him a look that made him smile crookedly, breaking the emotionless-ness of his expression.
“Aiden…you’re being impertinent again. You scared her.”
“I scared her? I didn’t scream when I saw her. And I don’t believe she jumped over the couch back while lying down.” He said in the same tongue, rubbing the back of his head, which he’d hit on the floor.
The markets were worse. People walking down the street would cross to the other side rather hurriedly, leaving Aiden and Aurora completely alone on the original side. Aiden didn’t say much, and stood well away from any stands that they stopped at. It was a highlight of his day when a little old woman got close enough to spit at him. Ducking the rotten egg that was flung at him from behind made a few people gasp, and avoid him all the more. Needless to say, they left the market early that day. Aurora’s lips tightened at the thought. Yes, he was Darric, but he wasn’t a monster. Aiden was a person, and should be treated like one.
The next day, someone actually spoke to Aiden. Well, just enough to roundly and fluently curse him and his entire race to the deepest pits of hell. He merely blinked and pretended he didn’t understand the language. Aurora came over, but the man had already walked away.
“What did he say?” She asked.
“Nothing I didn’t expect.” He told her, looking nonchalant. No one threw things, but they were still avoided him. At one point, a child was pulled completely into a house and the sound of bolts being drawn back could be heard. This was across the street from where he was standing. He didn’t bat an eye.
“It’ll pass.” She said bracingly as they walked back into the palace.
“Mm.” was all she got in response.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like. TOMATOES!!!!!!!