Status: completed

The Princess and the Outcast

Party time

The bell jingled. "Right on time." Oliver said smiling as Jade walked in the door.
"Huh?" she said, looking confused.
Oliver laughed. "It's 9:38. You come in at the same time every Saturday night."
"Oh...? Ok..."
"Yeah... awkward..."
"Anyway... I want you to come to the party with me tonight! Please?!"
"Oh... I don't know. I mean, I was cutting things close with your dad on Wednesday. And my dad never lets me leave until I'm done mopping."
"I'll talk to him."
"Jade..."
Jade walked over to the counter. "Tony!" she sang out. Tony walked out to see Jade standing there.
"Hi Jade. What can I do for you?"
"Well, I was wondering if I can take Oliver for a few hours?"
Tony looked at her with a skeptical look. "Well... Alright. I suppose."
"Thank you Tony!" Jade threw her arms around the baker.
"Just have him back by midnight, alright?"
"Deal!"
Jade skipped over to Oliver. "There. Now will you come?"
"Well... I don't know. Look at me. I can't go to a high society party looking like this." Oliver said, gesturing to his gray vans, skinny jeans and black misfits t-shirt. "I look like a punk skater."
"Because you are a punk skater!" Tony called out.
Jade laughed. "Oh c'mon. It'll be fine! Please?"
Oliver looked at Jade's pleading eyes. He couldn't say no to those wild blue eyes. "Alright. Fine."
"Yay! C'mon!" Jade grabbed Oliver's hand and brought him along the cobble stone path back to the other building. Jade slowly pushed the door open and the two slipped into the golden room.
"Woah." Oliver said when he saw the room covered in gold and the glass chandelier hanging from above. "This is like... like-"
"Oh, I know." Jade interrupted. "Dance with me?"
Before he could object, she was pulling him out to the dance floor.
"Just so you know, I'm a terrible dancer." Oliver said.
"Oh, I'm sure you're not that bad!"
"Well..."
"Here." Jade took his hand and placed it on her waist and then took his other hand in hers. "See? You're not that bad."
"I guess..."
Jade then spotted Eric on the other side of the room, watching her. She looked back at Oliver. "Kiss me."
"Wha-"
She pressed her lips against his. She looked back over at Eric who looked a little hurt.
"That's what you get, bastard." she thought.
"That was... nice." Oliver said smiling.
Jade smiled back. "There's more where that came from."
"Jade!" her father called out. She looked over at him and her mother and saw them waving her over.
"Come with me." she said to Oliver, taking his hand and interlocking their fingers. "Hi Daddy!"
"Ah, Jade. I see you're with..."
"Oliver."
"Right. Oliver."
"Oliver, what's your last name?" Jade's mother asked. "You look very familiar."
"Cavossa." he answered. Jade's parents turned ghost white.
"Oh. I know your father." her mother managed to say. Jade's parents had gone to school with Tony. They knew he was poor. He always had been. Tony was never really well liked by them. He had been the outcast, just like Oliver.
"Well, Jade. We're going to head out soon. You better bring Oliver back home. Or wherever he came from..."
"Alright... C'mon Oliver."
They walked back along the cobble stone path.
"Well that was..."
"Horrible." Jade said.
"Yeah... I knew this would happen once they found out who I was."
"I told you, I don't care what they say or think. I want to be with you."
"And I want to be with you, too."
"We'll make it work. Don't worry."
Oliver was skeptical. Would they really be able to make it work in this judgmental, corrupted society?