A New Place

Chapter 1: In a New Home

A tall dirty blond guy looked out over the stall door at me. I smiled as he let him self out. I had just gotten to my dads estate and was in love with the place, and possibly the people too.
“Hello, I'm Davyn. You must be Master RavenWoods daughter.” He said his deep British accent sending shivers down my spine. He was about 5'10”, very buff, extremely hot, had a nice tan, deep green eyes, dirty blond hair that was cut short but not too short.
“Yuppers, that's me.” I said sounding strangely American when talking to him. His eyes ran over my outfit tight skinny jeans, high top skater shoes that where black bright blue and bright green, tight tie-died v-neck t-shirt, dark brown medium length hair, mismatched earrings, amber heart necklace, pale tan completion and hazel eyes.
“Davyn! Get back to work!” Yelled a voice from farther down the barn. A tall older man with graying dirty blond hair came into view. He came stalking down the row not looking up to see Davyn and me. He looked up and saw me and froze.
“Miss RavenWood! I'm sorry I thought my boy was slaking off again and singing to the horses.” The older man said, Davyn blushed as he ran a hand through his hair.
“It's all good, sir. No harm done.” I said with a smile as my maid as my dad put it, Clare came into the barn.
“Miss your father would like you to see your rooms.” She said nodding to Davyn and his father.
“Davyn, Mr. Skye.” She said waving for me to follow her.
“Why can't you people just call me Kali? It's not that hard!” I snapped. They all looked at me, I just stood there looking shocked at my outburst.
“Sorry, I'm just tired of everyone here calling me “Miss RavenWood” or “Your Ladyship” I'm just a normal person like you.” I said fiddling with my six braclets. I looked down at my feet and sighed.
“I'm sorry. I'll just let you get back to your work. See ya around Davyn, Mr. Skye. It was nice meeting you two.” I said and followed Clare to my father's study.
“Ah, My little bird. How do you like your new home?” My dad asked as Clare left us. I sat in one of his many leather chairs that he had in his study.
“It's okay, but I just wish every one wouldn't call me “Miss RavenWood” or “Your Ladyship” It's just so formal.” I said as my father looked up at me with the same hazel eyes I see in the mirror every morning. His graying blond hair was wispy, and his work suite was wrinkle less and clean. He eyed me my long dark brown hair, jean shorts, purple and orange checked unbuttoned button-up shirt over a orange tank-top, and high-top skater shoes that were black with bright green and blue accents. My hair was in a messy pony tail in order to hide the rebellious red streaks I had put in my hair weeks before. The pendant he gave me for my 7th birthday hung around my neck, a shield with a peridot set in it.
“Well, you don't look very lady like yet, but we'll work on it.” My dad said going back to his work. I took the hint and left to find Clare waiting out side the study door for me. I walked down the large hallway to the back door and looked out. In a small circular corral was a filly the color of a fox, racing around the corral like a wheel. I jogged down to the fence and looked in. the filly's mane was a brown gold color and she had a white blaze, and socks. She slowed seeing me. Our eyes met, my hazel ones to her liquid brown ones. She stopped and cocked her head in wonder. I smiled climbing over the fence and standing in front of her. She skittered back a few steps and looked me over quietly.
“Hey, there pretty girl. I won't hurt you.” Our eyes met again I let her see into my soul, to why I was really here. Not as a fun vacation as every one thought, but to get away from the night my life had changed. That was one night I would never forget. Riding home from the movies with my best friend Jessie. We were laughing about the movie, when it happened. We were side swiped by a drunk driver, it crushed the driver’s side, killing Jessie instantly. I made it out with only a few scars from the winshield. One on my right arm, and two on my left. They were reminders of what had happened only a month ago. It hurt so much being the one who survived. She was heading off to an arts school in a month from now or would be if she hadn't died. I blinked my memories fading back a little. The filly stretched out her neck to sniff my hand. I took another step. Touching her head, she held still, her ears were soft, she nuzzled my left arm with her soft warm lips.
“Hey! What Do You Think You're Doing In There?!?!?!” Some one yelled. I jumped as did the filly she screamed and ran to the other side of the corral. I turned around to see, Davyn. He blinked seeing me and rubbed the back of his neck.
“Sorry Miss RavenWood. I didn't see it was you. That filly is very aggressive and we don't want any one to get hurt.” He said as I went to climb the fence to get out.
“One it's okay, I was just looking around, and two don't call me Miss RavenWood. It's annoying.” I said climbing over the fence again. My foot slipped on the bottom rung and I fell forward. Instead of hitting the ground I hit something hard and warm.
“Careful there, don't need you to get a banged up on your first day here.” Davyn said as I regained my footing and pulled away from him.
“Thanks Davyn.” I said straightening my hair. I looked up at him he was only about four inches taller than me. He wouldn't meet my eyes he looked down at the dirt.
“No problem, Kali? Right?” He asked as I nodded, a neigh rang out be hind me as the filly started in circles again this time faster.
“Is she always this hecktic?” I asked turning to watch her. Davyn joined me along the fence.
“Yeah, I think the calmest I've ever seen her was just now with you.” Davyn said looking my way. I looked down at my hands and fiddled with my ring engraved with the words, “Where words fail us, Music Speaks.”
“Why is she like this?” I asked as she took a break slirping loudly from the water trough along the fence on the other side.
“Her owner died. She spooked at a snake and bolted, her rider wasn't trained very well, and the filly fell crushing her owner, killing him instantly.” Davyn said looked sadly at the filly.
“Where you close to her owner?” I asked, looking him in the eye. He nodded slowly.
“He was my dad's best friend. He lost what live he had left to live all for this little filly.” Davyn said shaking his head.
“I guess I know how she feels then.” I said remembering how the filly's eyes and mine had met moments ago.
“What do you mean?” Davyn asked turning to face me. I looked at him and swallowed.
“My um..... My Best friend died in a car crash and month ago. I was in the passenger seat, we were laughing about the movie we just saw then bang. We were side swiped and she died, I escaped with only a few scars but she lost her life.” I said tears filling my eyes, I wiped them away with my hand.
“I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you to tell me.” Davyn said cocking his head looking at me his dirty blond hair falling into his face.
“It's okay, I needed to get it out anyway. That's why I'm here to get over what happened and move on.” I sniffled.
“You sure you're okay? I could go if you would like.” He said watching my reaction.
“No, you can stay, I'm fine just a little jumpy now. I see headlights and freeze up, it really scared me.” I told him. He nodded understanding what I was saying.
“I'll let my father know so we don't cause you to panic, when we drive in and out to town.” Davyn said I smiled at him and he gave me a half grin that made my knees go weak.
“Does she have a name?” I asked changing the topic, back to the filly.
“No you want to name her?” He asked looking over his shoulder at the filly.
“Sure. How 'bout.......... Hummm?” I said thinking on the names I had heard for fillies.
“Flicker. Like a candle flame.” I said Davyn nodded.
“Flicker it is.” He said. I looked up to see Claire making her way down to us. I watched as she neared us the look on her face was one of a very tired mood. She got half way down the hill and saw Davyn, he waved her back towards the house she nodded and waved back leaving us to talk.
“I wish I could do that.” I said as Davyn and I watched Flicker race around her corral. I looked at him.
“Do What?” He asked looking over at me a puzzled look on his face.
“Look that good in a hoodie.” I said smiling at him.
“I bet you do.” He said unzipping his hoodie and handing it to me. “Try it.”
“It smell's so good.” I said slipping my arms into the sleves.
“If you like the smell of horse then I bet it does.” He said with a laugh.
“It doesn't it smells like you. I like that smell.” I said wrapping his hoodie around me, it was still warm from where it was touching his body.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I can't spell so, sorry. But Any ideas??? I have a slight case of writers block. I know it's not the best. But it's what I've got at the moment. So I hope you enjoyed.