Hooky

The Reason I Go To School

When I woke up it seemed like a normal day, at least until I felt a burning, sharp pain in my right side. At first it wasn’t too bad, but it got worse until I collapsed on the couch in pain. I was close to crying when my mom called the teacher, Mrs. Wuchte, who gave me a ride to school every day and told her that she wouldn’t have to come and pick me up because I was going to the hospital, and when she asked ‘what for?’ my mom told her it was because of sharp pains in my sides. Then my mom called my grandpa to come and pick me up and take me to the hospital since she couldn’t. When my grandpa finally arrived the pain had dulled to a light throbbing, but I wanted to know what had caused the pain, so we drove there.

Once I got there I was given a room with a TV, a heated blanket, and left there until I was rolled out to get a CAT Scan, even though I could have walked. After that they took some samples of blood and urine then kept me in the room until the results came in. Until then I sat in the room watching the morning talk shows.

After a while my grandma arrived and we just stayed there and watched TV, and I texted David, who was at school, telling him I was at the hospital. He told me he already knew since Mrs. Wuchte told everyone at general assembly so they could pray for me, and then he asked why I had to go to the hospital. I told him I was awaiting the results. It was actually pretty fun just lounging around on a bed with a heated blanket, watching morning TV considering I was in a hospital.

Sometime later the doctor came in and said that the reason I was having pain was because of a small kidney stone, because they found blood in one of the samples, and that I had already passed it. My grandpa paid the bill so they would let me out and I went home. As soon as I got home I picked up my backpack and turned to my mom.

“Ok, can I go to school now?” My mom looked at me weird.

“Kayla, you just got out of the hospital, don’t you think you should rest for the rest of the day?”

“No, I feel fine now, I don’t need to rest. I want to go to school,” I said. My mom sighed.

“Alright, I’ll take you.” Truth be told, I was a little wiped out from the pain and hospital visit, but I had to get to school. As soon as I got there my mom signed me in. The school receptionist was surprised to see me, saying she thought I had to go to the hospital, and I told her I did, but now I was all better, then she gave me a late pass.

As soon as I opened the classroom door everyone turned to stare at me, and when they saw it was me they got shocked looks on their faces, then everyone started clapping as I walked to my seat. My friends Gustavo and Gloria got up and each gave me a hug, then I walked up to David who always sat next to me.

“Well, aren’t you going to give me a hug?” I asked him. He stood up and gave me a hug, and I smiled. He was the reason I went to school. He was the reason I never wanted to miss a day.