Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

He's Back

Till

Oli is back, back to himself, that is. I’m happy, although he does have scrapes all across his knuckles. I think he even tried to apologize during English, when we were finishing up our essay.

“So....the last couple of days have been bad.” I nodded, thinking he was going to continue. “And?” He shrugged and turned his face back to the computer screen, where I couldn’t see him. “That’s all.” He was quiet for a couple minutes, and I began feeling awkward.

“Uh, are you eating lunch today?” To his credit, Oli didn’t look at me like I’m stupid for saying that. “Yeah. You can sit with us, if you want to.” I grinned at him. “Yeah, that would be cool.” I got to follow him down to Lunch today, sit alone with him before Alejo and Charlie came along. I find it a bit easier to make conversation when they’re not here.

“So, uh....how were your days off?” I never said it was good conversation. He shrugged in a way that told me to pick another subject. “Never mind. Uh....you in any clubs?” Oli shook his head, frowning. “Never really wanted to join anything,” he admitted. “What are you in?” “Yearbook, Chess, Drama, and GSA.” “Isn’t GSA that gay club or something?”

I bristled and turned my face away. I’ve had enough people judge me for being in that club. It’s still the only place where I really feel I belong. “Yeah. It is. You got a problem with that?” Oli seemed to realize he’d hit a nerve, cause he cleared his throat, saying, “Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I don’t care what people want to fuck, long as it’s not kids.”

“Most guys are cool with lesbians, but they think gays are freaks.” Oli snorted and shook his head. “That’s stupid. I don’t care if you’re gay. Actually-” Before Oli could finish his friends walked in. “Hey, guys. What’re you doing?” Oli actually blushed. I’ve never seen him do that before. “Nothing. Just waiting for you guys to get here.” Damnit. What was he going to tell me?