Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

Unfair

Till
I still feel this kind of glow inside me. Oli called me a couple minutes ago. He took a long time to answer after my "Hello?" I was getting nervous when he finally spoke. His voice was husky and shy. "Uh, hey, Till. This is Oli....Just wanted to know how you're doing after, erm, last night....Are we okay?"
I laughed a little. "Yeah, Oli. We're fine." He sighed with relief. "Good. Just wanted to make sure." We talked for a few more minutes before my father walked in and I had to go.

My dad was kind of suspicious. We've been weird around each other lately. I know he doesn't really accept who I am, but he's usually able to hide that. Now, though....

I hung up the phone and turned to him. "Hey, dad. How was work?" "Who was that on the phone?" "Uh, my friend, Oli." "Why don't I know him? Is he straight?"

I clenched my fists and reminded myself that my dad is trying. "We haven't been friends for very long, Dad." "I asked if he was straight." My dad's eyes were narrowed and mean, like they used to be.
"That's none of your business." My dad stepped closer. "It's my business if my son is out flaunting what he is." I probably should've been quiet, but he was being so blatantly unfair I couldn't help myself.
"Flaunting what I am? You mean gay? Cause I'm gay, Dad. Why can't you get over that?"
His face turned red, and he hissed at me, "Because I'm sick of the guys at work teasing me for my fairy son. That I'm never going to have grandchildren. Of watching you look more like a girl every day. I'm sick of having to control my tongue around you!"

I felt tears come to my eyes, but I swallowed them back and stood tall. "Yeah? Well I'm sick of having to hide who I am. I hate having to work for your love. I hate that you have never stood by me when I was bullied. All I ever wanted was for you to accept me! I hate you!"

I screamed the last part and ran from the house, grabbing my bag as I went. Now I'm sitting on the swings at a park near my house, sobbing. I want Ella. I want Oli. I want my mom.