Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

Lunch

Till

Today I decided to find Oli at lunch. That’s when people relax, right? Sure, I had to skip GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) today, but I figure it was worth it. Finding Oli took a lot longer than I thought it would though.

Apparently, there’s some sort of secret hallway where he sits, tucked way in the back of the school. Oli was alone, sitting against the wall with his eyes closed. The notebook Ms. G gave us was next to him, and I really want to know what’s in it. Maybe he’s the type of kid who doesn’t care to write though.

Oli’s music was audible from 20 feet away, loud and messy. Eh, well. Nobody’s perfect. His fingers tapped along to the beat. I sat down and waited, admiring the way his mouth moved. Yum...uh, moving on.

After a few seconds his eyes opened to see me, and he jumped, letting out a not very manly squeal. “Fuck, Till. I almost pissed myself!” “Sorry.” Oli turned the music off, putting a hand to his heart. “What do you want anyway?”

You, I thought to myself. Then I shuddered. Jesus, I’m starting to sound as obsessed as Grell from ‘Black Butler’. Not. Good. “Uh, I was bored. And I found my way here. How’re you?” Oli tilted his head a little. “Fine. You?”

“Looking forward to soccer tonight. And boxing on TV.” His brow furrowed even more. “You like boxing?” My fists clenched.

Oli

Today was another weird experience with Till. I was just sitting alone until he nearly scared the pants off me. He seemed kinda nervous, toying with the little dots in his eyebrows. Still, I thought I was making pretty good conversation, for the way I am.

Then his fists clenched when I asked about boxing. “Y’know, I’m not some stereotypical gay kid. I like guy things too, and I’m sick of people just assuming I only do gay stuff.”

That was not what I expected. I haven’t really thought about how he must feel all the time, as the token gay kid. Also, anger makes his eyes even brighter, just, uh, just saying. “Sorry. I didn’t think.”

Till relaxed and smiled. “I’m sorry too. I get carried away. Do you like sports?” “Yeah, I play some soccer, watch basketball and boxing on TV.” “You think the Knicks will win this year?” “Well....”

So, I’m not gonna write the whole conversation, but it was actually a good one. Till knew what he was talking about, and for the first time in a while I spent a whole lunch period talking to a human being who isn’t one of my two friends. I can’t help but wonder-does this mean I’m friends with Till now?