Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

Special

Oli
It’s been a few days since I last wrote in this. I’ve been kinda busy, what with Till and school ending and all. This is probably going to be a really long passage, sorry, Ms. G.

I’ve been enjoying living with Till. It was lonely by myself, with only the creak of the house and the TV for company. He brightens up everything and keeps me from falling into my moods.
I can tell he’s insanely grateful to me for taking him in, cause he’s always saying thanks hand helping me clean. Right now we’re curled up on the couch watching TV. Till has his head on my lap and I’m pretty sure he’s about half asleep. His dark hair is all mussed and his eyes keep fluttering closed.

He sleeps in my bed every night. I love waking up to his face in the morning, which probably makes me sappy but I don’t care. We went to pick up his stuff a couple days ago.
Till made sure the house was empty before we went inside. I think we were both really nervous. I flinched at every noise. Till grabbed clothes, money, and a few sentimental items. He wanted to bring Kevin, the tarantula, but I flatly refused. He pouted and promised favors, but I stood strong. So he left a note asking his dad to take good care of it.

I’m starting to realize just what we have here, how important this relationship is. Maybe I saw it when I did the first load of our laundry, or when he put a picture of his mom on our bedside table, or when I started thinking of the house as ‘ours’ rather than ‘mine’.

Either way, I know he’s special....so I told my mom about him.

It was two days ago. I brought Till to see her after school. I told him what I was going to do beforehand, and the way his eyes lit up made me grin. He pulled me close and kissed me right in the middle of the hallway.

It was the first time we’ve ever done something like that in public, and it made me flush. I didn’t mind though. We walked to the hospital hand in hand. I rang up to see my mom and told her I brought a friend.

I think she was expecting Alejo or Charlie, because her eyes widened slightly when she saw him. “Hi, mom. This is my friend, Till.” She smiled. “Hi, Till. I’m Sara.” He waved.
I sat on the edge of her bed and gathered courage. To be honest, I had no idea what her views on homosexuality are. It’s not like we’ve had reason to talk about it. “So, uh, mom, I...uh, I’m dating Till.” There was an awkward silence for a moment as she stared at us. “Oh.”

Then my mom smiled. “Don’t be so nervous, baby. I’ve got nothing against gays.” It felt like a load was off my shoulders. “Thanks, mom.”She patted my hand. “Uh, something else. Till’s dad kicked him out, and he’s kind of living at our house...”

My mom’s eyes narrowed, and I saw how my real, feisty mom was coming back. “Are you keeping it clean?” “Yeah.” She shrugged, carefully. She’s still connected to a few IV’s. “And I guess I don’t have to worry about pregnancies.” Till blushed and laughed. “Mom!” She just smiled at me.

School ends in two days. I don’t know how I’ll be able to leave Till. We’ve been talking about it, sort of. It’s a painful subject. We both decided a long distance relationship wouldn’t work, and we’re not really going to communicate either. I think we both know it would just end up with us trying to date.
If this was a fairytale, one of us could quit our chosen college and we could go to the same one. But we’ve made our choices, and tuition is already paid for. The thought of leaving him still makes my stomach ache.