Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

Parents

Till

Fuck. Yes. I got Oli to smile today, even laugh a bit at stuff I said. It makes me feel pretty good about myself, and I went home to my dad grinning, for a while at least.

So, I guess this is the sort of thing I should tell a journal? Well, my dad’s kinda homophobic. Mom left four years ago, when I was 13, but even my dad and I got along pretty well, until I came out at 14. To be honest, it should’ve been obvious to him. Everyone else saw it coming.

After that we started having scary, huge arguments that got worse and worse until he kicked me out in the middle of sophomore year, and I had to move in with my best friend, Ella. Uh, so he came to her door a few months later, begging for me to come back with tears in his eyes.

My dad said he was sorry, that he loved me and he hadn’t meant any of what he said. I left Ella’s house and I’ve been staying with my dad ever since. We still have a few problems, like we never talk about my gayness and I can’t bring guys home.

But my dad loves me and I love him too. I can’t leave again, he can’t seem to live without me, after mom left. Fuck. I forgot how much I write in these things. Got to finish homework and watch more anime. Night, uh....diary thing?

Oli

My mom was waiting for me when I got home. As usual, she had a worried look on her face, thin wrinkles spreading from the corners of her hazel eyes. Every since my problems in freshman year she looks like that when I’m around. Since Ms. G said for us to write the important things in here, I’ll write one of the biggest.

When I was eight my dad died in a car accident that nearly took my life too. I still have pins in my arm and big scars on my head where the glass cut me. It destroyed Mom for a while, so I had to take care of everything.

I wear the key he gave to Mom when they married around my neck. It opens the jewelry box that Mom filled with all the pictures we have of him, and I keep it close to me so she can’t have it. Not cause I’m a dick or anything, I love my mom, but whenever she opens that fucking box she cries for hours and doesn’t get back to herself for days.

Sometimes I wake up and it’s gone though-she’ll steal it off my neck when I sleep. After freshman year she takes the key less and less, probably cause she’s more worried about me now.

Mom’s always telling me to talk more, try to make friends, smile at strangers, go out on the weekends. But I have Charlie and Alejo, the two guys I’ve known forever. Don’t need anyone else.