Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

Awkward

Till
Oli looked so lonely, sitting by himself while everyone else ran about choosing partners. I feel like sometimes he tries to keep us this tough, loner mask, but he’s not really like that. I remember Oli from eight grade. He was a clever kid who never seemed to stop moving. I wonder what happened to make him like this.
It made me nervous to walk over and tap his shoulder. I was afraid he would sneer a no at me and turn back to his thoughts. Everybody thinks I’m so confident, mostly cause I came out, but it’s not true. I can be really shy.
“Hey Oli, do you want to be partners with me?” He eyed me for a moment, and I fidgeted anxiously. “Sure.” I couldn’t help but grin at him, and he smiled back. Oli has a very nice smile.
It made me even more nervous to be almost alone with Oli, sheltered behind the tall library shelves. Our whole conversation he focused forward, playing with that lip ring. Every time he flicked his tongue around it I wanted to kiss him.
The conversation kept me interested, though. I’m into politics, which I know it weird for a teenager, but ever since I was a kid I’ve liked the alliances and enmities, how tangled everything can get. Oli must like them too, cause I’ve never met anyone else but him who can challenge me in a debate.
When we sat down for lunch I finally said, “Alright. Truce?” I had to summon up courage to come closer and lay a hand on his knee. When he didn’t move away or look creeped out, I smiled on the inside. Then Charlie and Alejo came in, interrupting our ‘moment’ with their news of Ella.
As I’ve said before, she’s my best friend, one of the few people who have always stood by me. I felt awkward when Alejo asked me to out in a good word for him. It’s not that I don’t like Alejo. He seems okay to me, but I don’t like feeling used. I said good bye to them, and left quickly. I wish I had gotten more time with Oli.