Status: Finished

Golden Slumbers

Rage

Oli

Alejo pulled me aside when school ended, after I was chewed out by Mr. Grimes. He lectured on for about thirty minutes, about responsibility, attendance, and my duty of getting an education. To be honest, I don’t care.

Charlie had already gone home, but Alejo caught me as I was headed to the bus. “Oli, I have to talk to you.” “What? I need to get on the bus.” “This is more important.”

He sat down against the main office wall, making room for me to slide next to him, Me and Charlie, we both know your dad died two days ago, We, uh, we just wanted to know how you’re doing.” “Fine. I really need to get on my bus.”Alejo nodded and stood. “Cool. Just wanted to make sure.”He freed me to my bus.

I got more and more pissed as I got closer to home. It was Mr. Grimes, but I got too angry. I dunno why, it’s just that this rage grabs me sometimes, when I get so angry I throw things and punch walls.

When I finally got home I did just that, broke open a snow globe, cracked my mirror, spilled books across the floor. I punched my walls until my hands bled, leaving red smeared across the paint. Then the rage just faded, leaving me exhausted, face down on my bed.

My mom didn’t stir in the next room, even though I’d made enough noise that our neighbor came over to see if everything was alright. Mom didn’t even stir to greet her. Before I went to sleep I checked on her, just in case. She was lying on her back in bed, eyes open and staring at the ceiling. “Mom? Did you eat today? Do you want anything?”

There are wrappers scattered around her bed, and the room smells bad. At least the food is fresh, so she’s eaten. When she gets like this, that’s the best I can expect.