Status: Done!

Angels Sing Of The End

1.1

Olivia’s blue eyes darted around the club in search of her friends, who usually stood in a corner or sat at the bar. So far, they weren’t in the corner or at the bar. They must have wandered off somewhere. I’ll find them, Olivia thought as she fought her way over to the bathrooms. She opened the door and saw a pair of sky high red heels, the exact ones Zayne were wearing.

“Zee, come on, we have to find Lexi, Shelby, and Kristin.” Olivia told her, knocking on the outside of the stall Zayne was in.

Sighing, Zayne flipped open her compact and looked at her pale reflection. Her sad green eyes staring back at her. She dropped the compact back in her purse and walked out of the stall, not ready to meet Olivia’s sky blue eyes. Zayne’s hair was mussed, her makeup was smeared from crying a bit. She’d run into Zachary, one of Lucifer’s second in commands.

“Oh my gosh, Zayne, what happened?!” Olivia whisper-screeched, not wanting to draw any unneeded attention to the two Angels. Zayne shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes. “We need to find Lexi, Shelby, and Kristin; pronto.”

With that, the two dark haired girls set out to find their three other friends, Zayne hoping they didn’t see the Demons either. See, if you see a Demon (one of the second in commands), Angels get little marks burned into their skin and suffer the pain of the burn. So far, Zayne only had suffered four, not counting the new one, in her lifetime as an Angel. Which was about four hundred Earth years.

“There they are!” Olivia yelled to Zayne, the music blasting obnoxiously loud around them. Zayne looked towards her pointed finger and the two sauntered over to their friends. There were a few guys around them, thankfully they weren’t Demons.

“Lex, Shel, Kris, we’re leaving, now.” Olivia commanded. Her friends bid goodbye, knowing better than to object and followed Olivia and Zayne out of the club.

“Would someone please fucking explain why we’re leaving early?” Shelby groaned as they got in their black Ford Expedition XLT.

“I-I saw a D-demon.” She stuttered, “and it was Zachary.”

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, Zayniepoo! Come here!” Shelby cooed, pulling in the black haired green eyed girl, who was now crying again.

Shelby felt bad, she made Zayne cry and she saw a Demon all in one night. Usually Shelby was the nicest and most level-headed of the five girls. The Lexi, the other girl in the backseat, slid over a few inches to join the hug between the two girls. Zayne’s sobs were the only noise as they drove back to their condo.

“Zay, you gonna be okay?” Shelby asked as they walked to the elevator.

The girls could feel the tension as the elevator rose up to the fifth floor. One thought ran through Zayne’s mind as they went their separate ways. Why did she see Zachary of all Demons? The other three times, she’d either seen Brian or Matthew, Zachary was never seen. His striking green eyes burned into her in more ways than one.

In her apartment, she looked at her left wrist, four small pentagrams glaring back at her, one bright red, the others mere scars. Angels and Demons never really conversed, for if you talked to or made eye contact with the other race, you’d get a pentagram or a normal star. The more marks you had, the less chance of you staying on Earth.

As she began to take off her tight jeans, a knock resounded off of her door, scaring the living shit out of her. Her pants were re-zipped and her phone was at the ready if someone tried to hurt her, namely a Demon. Zayne rose to her toes to look through the peep hole and saw no one. This scared her nonetheless but she still opened the door.

Six figures rushed in and ended up on her couch. Zayne’s jade green eyes were wide as she turned to see five heavily tattooed figures on her couch and the sixth less tattooed and standing at the window, looking out on the city below. She instantly recognized the standing man as Lucifer and the other five as his sidekicks.

“Lucifer.” Zayne greeted coldly.

Lucifer smiled and turned, only to be met with the ice-cold glare Zayne was sending him. Little did she know, he was there on official business and would refrain from burning her. Still, she wouldn’t look him in the eyes and directed the glare at his forehead.

“Zayne, I am here on official business. I’m refraining from burning you, since you’re going to be looking at us for a while.”

Zayne winced when he said ‘us’. That meant she had to talk to Matthew, Zachary, Brian, James, Jonathan, and Lucifer. Fuck me, she thought. Olivia, Lexi, Kristin, and Shelby weren’t even here to back her up!

“So, what’s this ‘official business’ you need to attend to here?” Zayne grumbled before she stalked into the kitchen, intent on getting a fruit punch Gatorade out of the fridge.

Matthew smiled and patted the seat between Zachary and him, making Zayne inwardly cry out for help. She hated both of them they’d burned her, Matthew more than once, and for some reason Zachary looked exactly like her. Jet black hair, bright green eyes, pale skin. But that couldn’t be possible that they were related, she was an Angel, he was a Demon. Angels and Demons didn’t get along and if they didn’t get along, why would they be related?

“Well,” Lucifer began as Zayne sat between Zachary and Matthew, sipping her sports drink, “it’s about you and Zacky.”

“Yeah, he burned me-“

“It’s not that. You and Zacky are… related.” Lucifer said, his pitch black eyes going between the two.

Zacky and Zayne looked at each other like they were the grossest thing on the planet, Hell, and Heaven. Everyone’s expression mirrored the others: surprised, kind of freaked out, and very, very confused. Everyone knew it was a crime for an Angel and a Demon to have sexual relations and have children!

“How the fuck did that happen?!” Zacky exploded, “Angels and Demons aren’t even supposed to look at each other! Why would they fuck?!”

“Maybe because I committed the crime, you idiot!” Lucifer snarled, standing. Zacky sat back down and looked closely at Zayne.

Now that he actually took the time to notice it, she did have the same eyes, hair color, and skin tone as him. They drank, a lot, and had the same personalities, though she was a tad calmer. The two hid their emotions extremely well, drowning them out with some good old Jack Daniel’s.

“How the fuck could you, Lucifer?! Who the fuck did you fucking fuck to make us?!” Zayne yelled, eyes burning into Lucifer’s back.

She’d always known she was different from her friends. She had many violent outbursts, was a lot less innocent than them, swore and drank more; all signs of a Demon. Why hadn’t she noticed it sooner? She was part Demon and she never noticed it.

“Oh my God. I’m a fucking Demon!” Zayne whispered, putting her head in her hands. She felt a large, warm hand on her back and flinched way from it, since it was a full-blooded Demon touching her.

“Zayne, Demons can’t hurt you anymore. Those burns? They disappear when I say they disappear, you just had to figure out who you really were and they’d go away.” Lucifer pointed to her arm, “See? They’re gone.”

Zayne couldn’t believe it. The four pentagram burns were gone, leaving nothing but bare, clean, unmarked skin. A small laugh escaped her pink lips, the first one in a long time. Soon, she was sitting there, tears in her eyes, her laughs echoing off of the walls. The Demons around her looked at her like she was crazy… then started cracking up themselves.
Zacky was the first one to laugh. Then it was Matthew, Brian, James, Jonathan, and Lucifer. Their laughter filled the air, everyone’s sides starting to hurt.

“We better be going,” Lucifer pointed to the beginning of the sunrise, “Zayne, Daughter, make sure to call some time. I’ll send Matt, Brian, Jimmy, Johnny, or Zacky up periodically to check up on you…unless you want to stay with us.”

“I can’t, Father, Olivia, Lexi, Kristin, and Shelby need me. I’m a devoted friend, I’ll make sure to call though!” Zayne said with a smile as the Demons left her condo.

When she saw them get in their dark grey SUV, she flopped on her bed, sleep the last thing on her mind. She’d just found out that the last 400 years were a lie, that she wasn’t a full-blooded Angel that she was half Demon and she hadn’t figured it out yet. Lexi had even pointed out at one time that she had the short temper of a Demon but the five girls shrugged it off, not thinking anything of it.

Another time was when she’d gotten completely shitfaced at a party and the girls hadn’t drank a single drop of alcohol, only drinking water. They listened to pop and country; she listened to darker music, heavy metal, rock, and alternative. God, why hadn’t she realized this sooner?!

Soon, sleep tinged the edges of her vision and she was out cold.

&&

Zacky’s eyes tried to focus on one thing as they sped down to Hell. He couldn’t focus though, his thoughts on the previous few hours. He had a sister, he was half Angel, his father was Lucifer, his long-time boss, his Creator.

“Zack, do you want to go be with your sister? I’d let you.” Lucifer said as he slowed.

“Yes, I would like to get to know my sister, Lu-Father.” Zacky mumbled back.

Lucifer smiled. He always knew what Zacky wanted. If he wanted a certain Harlot, the Harlot would become obsessed with him and he’d have her.

“Zack, do you want to go now? Everyone will be able to visit, you’ll be able to visit us. Are you sure?” Lucifer asked.

“Yes.”

&&

Zayne rolled over, only to hit something that felt like a warm brick wall. Her eyes cracked open to see her brother lying next to her, light snores escaping this slightly open mouth. A giggle escaped her mouth as she rolled the other way, feet landing on the cold hardwood floors.

The box of Fruit Loops was calling her name as she wandered into the kitchen. Her phone lay on the table, seventeen missed calls blinking on the screen. As she poured the cereal and put milk in it, grabbing a spoon, she called Olivia back.
“Zayne Parkyr Baker! Why didn’t you answer my calls?!” Olivia shrieked. Chuckling to herself, she chewed a spoonful of the sweet cereal before answering.

“I was lying next to my brother, sleeping, why?” She replied a bit cockily.

“You don’t have a brother, Zayne!”

“Yes I do, his name is Zacky.”

“Zacky is a Demon!”

“No. He’s half Demon, half Angel, just like me!”

There was silence on the other line. Olivia couldn’t believe it. Either Zayne was kidding or she really was half Demon. If she was, they couldn’t be friends anymore. Kristin, Lexi, and Shelby would be crushed and would feel betrayed, just like she was feeling right now. She couldn’t believe Zayne wouldn’t let her know that she was half Demon!

“Goodbye, Zayne, don’t ever talk to me again. You’re half Demon, we can’t be friends.”

With that, Zayne heard a click then the dial tone. Did Olivia really just do that? Tears welled in her eyes. No, she couldn’t let herself cry, it’s a sign of weakness and weakness means vulnerability, vulnerability meant letting the real emotion show through. That could not happen.

&&

Zacky woke up to the sun in his eyes. Shuffling could be heard in the kitchen, and cereal was being poured. He heard muffled talking then something clattering to the floor.

He rushed out to the kitchen, Zayne sitting at the table with a bowl of Fruit Loops in front of her and a faraway look on her face. He didn’t know what had happened but, as a brother, he was going to find out. Whoever hurt his sister was going to have Hell to pay, pun very much intended.

“Zay, what happned?” he questioned, pulling her into a hug.

“Olivia… we… we aren’t friends anymore according to her,” a sad smile appeared on her face, “that fucking bitch! She’s going to get what’s coming to her! I’m going to fucking damn her for all eternity!”

Zacky grimaced at her screaming, noting the anger problem, and continued to hug her as she continued to mumble curses in a demonic language. He didn’t know how she learned it but she did.

“Zayne, where did you learn that language?” he asked her, making the girl face him.

Black eyes stared back at him. Shit, he thought, her inner Demon had just taken over. She pushed him away and went to the door. Her mission: kill all Angels in the vicinity. Two doors down was the first Angel her senses had picked up. She busted down the door to reveal Kristin sitting on her couch, watching TV.

“Oh, hey Zay… What’s wrong with your eyes?” she greeted.

Soon, red blood was spattered all over the room and Kristin was laying in the middle of a large pool of blood. Yet, Zayne didn’t feel any remorse. Zacky rushed into the condo, realizing he was too late. Kristin was dead and Zayne was about to barge past him, going to the other girls’ condos.

“Zayne, calm yourself. This can only end badly.” Zacky pleaded with the Demon who used to be his sister.

“Why?! They were my fucking friends and they betrayed me!” Zayne’s inner Demon growled.

“Because, the only person that knew was Olivia. She didn’t tell anyone else, I bet. Kristin greeted you like normal, didn’t she?”

Zayne’s inner Demon realized Zacky was right and backed off, still ready for action. Her normal eye color returned and she saw the blood on her hands, the walls, and finally Kristin in the middle of it. A sob broke from her chest. She’d just killed one of her best friends because of Olivia. She ruined everything, like usual.

“W-why does Olivia ruin e-everything, Z-zacky?” Zayne sobbed into her brother’s chest, blood smearing onto his clothing.

“I don’t know, Zayne, I don’t know. All I know is it’ll all get better soon, I promise.”

“Really?”

“I promise.”

Zayne smiled up at her brother through her tears. Everything would get better and that’s all that mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Contest entry :)