Status: Incredibly active. C;

Dreamcatcher

01.

“Fiona, don’t you think it’s about time you get rid of this old thing?” said a disapproving brunette, the pads of her fingers squeezing the obnoxious brown feathers with a look of disgust on her face.

Fiona Garrett sighed, her sister was always disapproving of everything she did, but especially when it came to her most prized possession. “No, Jade, I don’t,” she remarked icily, releasing her grip on the fabric she’d been bunching up without even realizing it. She hopped off of her seat on the bed and went to grab it from her older sister’s hands, to no avail. Jade was surprisingly much quicker and had anticipated this move as she raised her right arm up in the air so her petite younger sister couldn’t grab what was rightfully hers.

“How old are you again?” questioned Jade, peering at Fiona with the very same jade eyes that mirrored her very own.

“Fifteen,” she muttered, stuffing her hands in her pockets and averting her gaze before her sister could pierce her own. Fiona struggled with not raising her eyes as she heard a critical sniff that stamped her not-so-silent veto. For a girl who was barely floating in the middle of the pack that dominated the moderate to average end of the grading scale, she was unbelievably condescending.

“Exactly. You don’t need this anymore. It’s a dreamcatcher, do you really think this thing actually works? Is that why you won’t toss it out?”

“No,” grumbled Fiona, wishing her sister would stop protesting and quit on her efforts. She had her reasons as to why she kept it, and Jade simply didn’t understand them. Then again, Fiona’s sister was about as sentimental as a clunky block of wood, so even if she even bothered to attempt an explanation, she just wouldn’t get it. While it frustrated Fiona, it wouldn’t bother her nearly as much if Jade wasn’t trying to force the change on her.

“Then what’s the problem? Let’s face it, kiddo, you’re growing up. You don’t need that ratty old thing, stop being a pack rat and just throw it away. Seriously. I don’t even get the big deal.”

“Fine!” exclaimed Fiona angrily. Without thinking, she hopped up and roughly snatched the dreamcatcher from her sister’s hands. It proved to be an easy feat, since Jade had been caught by surprise. To appease her patronizing elder sister, she carelessly tossed the dreamcatcher into the polished bamboo wastebasket beside her desk. Fiona would dig it out of the trash once her sister left, but since she couldn’t risk hanging it up again without Jade’s bothersome interference, she’d have to settle with stashing it in the confines of one of her drawers in the dark wood chest resting safely beside her bed.

Jade paused mid-stride to inspect her younger sister, her plump, rose-stained lips pursed. It vaguely reminded Fiona of a scaly rainbow trout. The image of her sister as a fish caused her to smother a fit of giggles down her throat, though a few muffled snickers slipped from the partition of her lips regardless. Her elder sister’s eyes narrowed at her, instantly silencing Fiona. Trying would actually be a better word, considering that the willowy girl’s eyes still had a glint of mischief swimming in a pool of shining bright green irises.

Without another word, Fiona’s eyes met Jade’s backside as the latter sauntered out of the room, the ornate brass doorknob resounding a click in response. Fiona found that she could breathe much easier with her sister safely out of the room. It was ridiculous in her opinion, how Fiona’s sister somehow thought that she could march anywhere. Without a doubt, Jade Garrett was nothing short of a tactless, but dictatorial leader, trumping over anyone in the house, their mother included.

Jade frequently exercised her tyrannical sort of behavior, almost as if she was making some sort of living from bulldozing over everyone in her way; she was on a path to social perfection, and anyone who stood in front of her would easily be knocked down a peg or two if she were in a good mood. If she was in a bad one, they would effortlessly be thrown under a bus.

Fiona was fortunate that they were sisters, otherwise she would probably be a target. Scratch that—being her sister only made her less likely to be targeted in a harsher manner. Jade would always trample over every single human being she met, but Fiona constantly thanked her lucky stars that being related to Jade made it easier on her in comparison to everyone else, even if her relationship with her sister was a disaster at best. Everyone else felt extremely blessed that they didn’t have to call Jade their flesh and blood, but they generally got the worst of the insults. While young Fiona got mere cuts, everyone else received slash wounds whenever she drew a comparison.

Sighing, she shoved a few light strands of hair from her face as she got up. Fiona stood over her wastebasket and plucked her precious dreamcatcher out. Fortunately, it had been resting over crumpled balls of paper she’d tossed from the endless days of rough copies she was forced to create before composing the final essay draft she’d turn in for class. While a slight amount of guilt nipped at her insides at the fact that she wasn’t recycling the wasted sheets of paper, on the bright side, she always aced the essay portion of her assessments. Ordinarily, that thought would quell a small portion of her guilt.

Her slender fingers curled around the handle of the top chest drawer, which made a creaking sound as she opened it to reveal a neat medley of various items Fiona had collected over her fifteen years of living. Gently lifting up the mound of accumulated entities, she softly placed the delicate dreamcatcher beneath it all. Cautiously, she took her time in releasing the materials that would conceal her precious dreamcatcher. Shutting the drawer and sprawling over the top of her bed, she stretched her limbs like a cat. As her mind generated various scenarios of how the rest of her evening would play out without her prized dreamcatcher, Fiona heaved a great sigh as she established a single conclusion.

It would be a long night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, darling readers!
This small preface is just so you can catch a few glimpses at a few of the primary characters. The few chapters might not relate to the significance of this just yet, but it’ll all eventually make sense. I do hope you guys enjoy this, I’ve had the idea brewing in my brain for months now, and I’ve only just gotten around to making this a possible full-length story.
Enjoy, dearies! <3

Drop a line of constructive criticism. | Express your desire to receive updates.