Status: Completed.

Forget Yesterday

Alex.

June 18th. Jack’s birthday. Just over two weeks since Jack and Alex sorted out their problems and got themselves back on track. Things were still a bit hesitant between the two of them – there was still that layer of awkwardness they hadn’t gotten over yet. Alex wanted to be with Jack as fully and completely as they were before, but he knew they needed to give it time. He knew Jack needed his space still. Sure, they had started getting a bit more physical in the last week, but they hadn’t had sex and they hadn’t stayed the night in each other’s beds.

Slow and easy. That was the only way they could do things right now.

Other than that, everything had gone back to where it was before. Alex still got his morning kiss from Jack before he went into work next door. They still met up for lunch. Alex still spent time with Emma watching Disney movies when Jack needed a break. And they still loved each other. That was the main thing, for Alex. Jack still said those three important words every single day, and Alex never got tired of hearing them. He didn’t think he ever could.

But yes, today is Jack’s 28th birthday, and Alex had the task of distracting Jack for the day while Rian took Emma and while Vinny set up the surprise party for Jack. Yeah, Jack had no idea what was going on. Alex was just a really good distraction.

“Fuck, Lex, I can’t believe you just blew me in a public bathroom,” Jack murmured in Alex ear, arm thrown around Alex’s shoulders.

Alex blushed, biting his bottom lip. Jack was getting antsy about how Emma was, so Alex had to distract him. Like he said, he was a good distraction.

“Yeah, well, it’s your birthday – you deserved a treat,” Alex said with a shrug.

“Even so, it was very much appreciated,”

Alex giggled as Jack started kissing his neck, nipping the skin lightly, his veins thrumming with electricity at the touch. The things this man could do to his body.

“Jack! Not in public! People are staring!” Alex protested half-heartedly, batting at Jack’s chest.

“Let them stare. I want everyone to be jealous of how fucking good you look and how I’m the only one who gets to touch you,” Jack murmured.

Alex inhaled sharply, biting his bottom lip. This old chestnut again. Alex supposed he couldn’t blame him, right? He couldn’t blame Jack for getting possessive like this. Then Jack sighed against his skin, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek before standing upright.

“I crossed the line, huh?” Jack asked, a sad smile on his lips.

Alex just shook his head. He couldn’t be mad at Jack. Not really.

“No, it’s okay. I know you meant well,” Alex shrugged.

“I’ve ruined my own birthday, haven’t I?” Jack grumbled.

“No! I promise, everything’s okay. We’re still okay. And we have plenty of stuff to do today before we rescue Emma from Rian and Vinny’s madness” Alex insisted.

Jack looked down at Alex, really looked at him, before smiling.

“Okay, if you’re sure. Where are you taking me next?” Jack asked cheerfully.

Alex just smiled and lead the way. Everything could only get better.

*

It was much later in the day when Alex and Jack arrived back at Vinny’s apartment. Alex and Jack had been to see a movie, although half way through Jack had apparently gotten bored and they’d made out for the rest of the time. And then they went to lunch, which was just lovely. And then they’d taken a walk around a local park, just talking. It had been really nice, actually, just spending time alone with Jack. They needed it to be honest. They had definitely needed this day.

But half an hour ago Vinny had texted to say that everything was ready and that everybody was at his apartment waiting for them, so here they were.

“I hope Vinny hasn’t corrupted Emma too much today. There’s only so many demands to listen to punk rock that Charlotte’s mom and dad can take,” Jack mused, buzzing for entrance on the front door.

“She marches to the beat of her own drum, just like you did,”

“Before I became a boring accountant,” Jack added dryly.

“A sexy accountant,” Alex countered.

Jack smirked and leant down to press his lips to Alex’s, but then the door buzzed open. Typical Vinny. The two of them walked up in a comfortable silence, and this was when Alex started to get a bit nervous. What if Jack didn’t appreciate the surprise party? What if he got angry and that just made everything bad between them again? But it was too late now. They were already outside the apartment. Alex knew the door was open, so he just turned the handle…

“SURPRISE!”

Jack stumbled slightly into Alex at the shock of seeing so many faces, making Alex giggle. Vinny, Rian and Emma had hidden behind the kitchen counter, everyone from the tattoo studio had hidden behind the sofas and a couple of people from Jack’s work had hidden round the corner by the stairs. Jack’s eyes were wide but he had a smile on his lips, and that’s when Alex knew he’d done the right thing.

“Happy birthday Jackalope!” Vinny cheered, earning cheers around the room.

“Daddy! You need to wear a hat!” Emma grinned, holding one for the both of them.

Alex put the hat on his own head before he put one on Jack’s, and then pressed a kissed to Jack’s lips. Jack clutched at his hips lightly before pulling away.

“I should’ve known you were up to something,” Jack mused.

Alex just laughed, shaking his head. Jack would’ve never figured it out.

“Happy birthday old man,” Alex grinned.

“Old man? An old man couldn’t make love to you as well as I’m going to make love to you tonight,” Jack murmured.

Alex blushed slightly, feeling a ball of lust stirring in the pit of his stomach, and smiled.

“That remains to be proven,” Alex said innocently.

Jack grinned and pressed another kiss to his lips before leaving Alex to walk into the room and greet people. Alex accepted a drink from Rian in silence, just watching Jack talk to his friends, a smile on his lips and happiness in his eyes. Yeah, Alex was happy too. And this time he knew it would last.
♠ ♠ ♠
So cute, right?
It does look like Jack and Alex might just be alright after all :)

The next chapter is the penultimate one...

Thank you to everyone who commented on the last chapter! Please keep your feedback coming - there won't be long left to let me know what you think of this story!

xo