Promises Under the Rain

3/3

2009

Another storm hung over California, overwatering the dry land and bringing strong winds with it that swept back troublesome thoughts to her. Despite being engaged to a man who was practically perfect for her, Linda was not content with her life. All she wished for was the ability for her legs to function again. It was a ridiculous and impossible dream, but she couldn’t stop thinking about it.

She also wanted her lover to be happy. He could have anyone he wanted, a woman that could walk and take care of him, and he could be so much happier without her. Yet he stayed. Linda couldn’t understand why. This year, she had stopped searching for the reason, and tonight, she had decided to set Zacky free from her, as well as setting herself free forever. She no longer would be troubled by her disability. Linda’s pain would finally cease.

Linda wheeled herself a long distance until she was incredibly tired. There would be no way that Zacky would ever find her and therefore stop her. It ended tonight. Her arms ached once she reached the bridge and she pushed herself just a little bit further so her chair rested near the edge. Gazing down, Linda noticed that the normally gentle river had become a thrashing rapid with the storm. Slamming on the locks on the wheels, she sat comfortably as she pondered the choice she was about to make. Was this really what she wanted?

Accepting that this was to be her fate, Linda pulled her feet off the supports on the chair and placed them on the ground in front of her. Then, she grabbed firmly onto the slippery metal support beam on her right and pulled her body upwards so she balanced on her legs, though she couldn’t feel anything at all. It was a strange feeling. She hadn’t been like this for a very long time, and strangely enough, standing on two legs felt unnatural.

Linda looked to and from the rushing water and the stationary chair, knowing that she’d much rather go forwards into the fast lane than remain still if she went backwards. This was definitely the right choice. Just as she was about to let go of the beam, she heard her name being called out over the loud water sounds. Turning to her right, she saw a figure running at her, soon recognising it as her fiancé. This was unexpected. To avoid the confrontation, Linda almost let go instantly, but something kept her hand clamped around the wet metal. Zacky had kept her holding on to life… for now…

Zacky reached her and immediately began to plead with her to stay, that she was making the wrong decision, that he loved her, but nothing seemed to work. Linda was determined on falling the great distance and being swept away like another piece of insignificant debris that the storm was taking out to sea. Nothing he said made her realise how much she meant to him and how she couldn’t leave him. He too would die, but on the inside, if she took that leap.

Linda was begging for her life to be taken. As she stood on the edge of the two worlds, Zacky was proving to her how much pain and suffering she had inflicted on him by being in this world. It was not worth it. As she looked into his green eyes, finally without having to look up for the first time in years, she could see the damage done because of her disability. Linda wanted him to be happy, and that just couldn’t be done with her here. She closed her eyes and took in a breath, wishing that it could all just end, not just her physical weakness, but her emotional weakness too. A tiny break in the brooding clouds allowed for a shimmer of the moon’s hopeful light to shine through, and, as if her prayers were heard, an answering gust of wind slammed into her, causing her dead legs to give way…
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback would be very much appreciated, so please comment. I hope you enjoyed reading.