Status: A working progress. I'll update as soon as I write another chapter.

Even Without Wings

A Boy I Used to Know

Halfway through the feast, I left to go to my room, which Dumbledore specifically arranged for me stay in for the year until I succeeded in doing my job. I would be sleeping in this room by myself. I had no roommates like the other girls in Slytherin dorm, and that’s how I liked it. I loathed at the thought of sharing the same room with at Bulldog Face. She’d never let me sleep a wink.

Walking down the drafty stone corridor, I glanced around at my surroundings. The castle hadn’t changed that much from the last time I visited. The only thing that was missing was the boy who had made me distrust magical people. The thought of the boy made a shiver go down my spine and made the corridor I was on seemingly endless and sinister.

My heart banged in my chest, I descended the stairs, which lead to the cellars, in which the Slytherin Common Room was located. Memories flooded my mind at the sight of the familiar corridors that led there. The mysterious boy’s voice rang out inside my mind and perspiration beaded up on my forehead. I wiped it away with the back of my hand, walking as fast as my angel feet could carry me, which was pretty far.

I hung a left down the next corridor, almost running straight into the sparkling Archangel himself, Yukio. He smiled down at me, putting a hand on my shoulder to calm me down. His deep brown eyes stared down at me, softening when he saw the distress in my eyes.
It wasn’t surprising that every angel in Heaven knew of my background with this school. I wondered why Michael had even chosen to let me go through with this mission, but then again, the Archangel had a problem with me. I guess he’d rather see me suffer than see me achieving my goal of becoming a full-fledged Archangel like himself.

Maybe, just maybe if I achieved my goal, I’d be seen as an equal to him.

“Are you alright, Eva?” He asked with his eyebrows furrowed in concern.

“It’s nothing,” I said, smiling wearily up at him. I could tell by the expression on his face, he didn’t believe me for a second.

“Evangeline, if you don’t think this mission is such a good idea, I could tell Michael, and maybe we’ll be lucky and he’ll give you another mission in which you are comfortable with.”
“No, as funny as it may sound Draco needs me. As I told Gabriel, he’ll never change his mind. What’s done is done and there’s nothing I can possibly do to undo it.”

Yukio smiled down at me. “Good, I didn’t want to have to leave. I have even got starting on spying on your client.” He winks at me.

At this, I roll my eyes and start walking away toward the wall, which would reveal the entrance to Slytherin Common Room once I spoke the password. I did this, but the entrance did not reveal itself. It just remained the way it was.

“I could’ve sworn that was right,” I mumbled, biting my lower lip.

I said the presumed password again. Nothing. The same result as last time.

Frustrated, I turned to Yukio, who was nowhere to be seen. I kick the wall hurting my foot, which results in me hopping on one foot like a fool. I drop my foot after examining the damage, lean against, and slid down the wall. It would be awhile before anyone from Slytherin house came.

I sit there for what seems like hours, until I heard someone coming. I get up off the floor to be met by the tall figure. A flash of the boy walking down that same corridor brings fear into my heart. His maniacal laughter rings out inside my head. I put my hands to my head and close my eyes, tightly.

“Go away. Please go away.” I whispered as I crouched down.

I peeked open one eye to see the person still coming. They were getting closer and closer. Was my mind playing tricks on me? I didn’t know. Real or not, I wanted the maniacal laughter to cease and the figure to go away.

“Don’t come any closer.” I said sounding unconvincing, I dug in my robe pocket and came out with my wand. “Stop!” I yelled, pointing my wand at them.

They did.

“Who’s there?” asked the familiar voice of Draco Malfoy. Relief flooded my mind at the sound of his voice. I took in a deep breath of stale cellar air. Never thought I’d be happy to hear my own client’s voice.

“Lumos,” I whispered, the dark corridor light up with light from the tip of my wand to illuminate Draco, who put a hand up to his eyes.

When he took his hand away, he noticed it was me. He cut his eyes at me. “What in the devil is going on here? Is this one of your jokes?” He scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

“No, not a joke,” I smiled wearily at him, and then, whisper softly, “I thought you were someone else.”

He seemed to have heard me.

“Who?”

“A boy I used to know.”

He shrugged it off with a frown, and didn’t press the matter, which surprised me.

After, he spoke the right password he turned to me, and said with a mischievous smirk, “I’ll not tell anyone about this if you do something for me.” His eyebrow rose up and down in a subjective way.

“Whatever you have up that sleeve of yours, my answer is no. You don't even know my name." I try moving pass him into the entrance of Slytherin Common Room, but he blocks me. I step back a few steps, so does he. His smirk gets bigger and bigger as I step back further and he follows suit.

My back hits the wall. He puts a hand up on the wall beside my head, and takes the wand from my hand, which I had forgotten about. He uses the counter to lumos, and moves closer to me so that his spearmint smelling breath hits my face. My face heats up, luckily it’s dark down here and Draco isn’t able to see.

"Then, what is it?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Evangeline Constantine." I say breathlessly as my heart rate speeds up.

He moves a bit closer so that our lips brush, stares deep into my eyes and so suddenly pulls away. “Fooled you, didn’t I, Evangeline?” He laughs down at me, putting my wand back in my hand.

I stand there looking at him, face heating up even more. I reach out in an attempt to injure or seriously maim him, but he moves out of the way in time. He continues to laugh and point at me. Angry, I push past him to my room, where I stare at the ceiling until I finally fall into a dreamless sleep. That boy would be dead before I had the chance to lead him in the right direction.

I’d be the one to kill him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates in a row today!:D I'm on a roll!:D Comment, please!