Gunslinger

Breaking Their Hold

Just before 5am, Somerville woke up the company to prepare for the attack. As Dana was preparing, she glanced over and saw Brian staring at her. When he noticed her looking at him, he quickly glanced away and proceeded to tinker with his rifle.
“What the hell?”, Dana thought to herself. He normally would have said something sarcastic to her if he saw her looking at him, and she wondered at his sudden change in demeanour.
“You know what’s up with Haner?”, O’Shea asked her. She glanced at him and shrugged.
“No, why?”, she asked. O’Shea smirked.
“When Sergeant Butler went to wake him to go on watch he was moaning, Brian grabbed him and nearly kissed him.”
“What!?”, Dana shrieked, which caused some of the men in her vicinity to chorus “Shhhh,”
“Yeah, it was hilarious”, O’Shea continued. “I’d love to know what he was dreaming about.” He busied himself with setting up his mortar tube, and Dana stood silently next to him.
“Yeah, so would I”, she whispered.

She didn’t have much more time to ponder if Brian had had a dream similar to hers, as it was 5.30 and the attack commenced. The Germans happened to counter-attack at the exact moment and both sides cut loose with everything they had – artillery, mortars, machine gun and rifle fire. Under the intense incoming fire, F Company on their left broke their position and fell back. This exposed D Company’s right flank and they too fell back. This left Dana’s company isolated with its rank flight up against the railroad track and it’s left flank open.

One of the machine gunners, Private Fitzwilliam realized that his tripod was broken and he rested his machine gun on a gate at the opening of the hedgerow and blasted away as best he could. A mortar round dropped close to him and he fell with shrapnel in his shoulder and leg. The same mortar round injured Private Garner however both men remained on the line, continuing to fire. Somerville, Hanson, Johnson and the other officers were running up and down the line encouraging everyone to hold their positions.

Dana looked to her left and her eyes widened in alarm when she noticed a German tank breaking through the hedgerow where F Company had been located. Johnson noticed it too and motioned for Private Felton to bring up the bazooka. Just as Felton began to move into position, a mortar round fell close to him and he was blown backwards and knocked unconscious.
“Grab the bazooka!”, Hanson screamed to Dana who was the closest position to Felton. She dropped her rifle and grabbed the bazooka, scurrying over to sit beside Johnson.
“Follow me”, Johnson yelled and proceeded to run into the open field.
“Oh holy fucking hell”, Dana yelled as she raced after Johnson. Johnson crouched behind Dana, holding up the back of the bazooka.
“Fire it!”, Johnson yelled and Dana let loose at the tank. The shot hit the turret of the tank and rolled off. The tank turned its 88mm cannon toward Johnson and Dana and fired. The shell zoomed over their heads, missing them by only a few feet. The tank gunner couldn’t depress his cannon sufficiently, because the tank driver was climbing the hedgerow in an effort to break through into the field. Johnson started to reload the bazooka.
“You’re gonna get us killed”, Dana shrieked, her hands shaking so badly she could barely hold up the bazooka. So intent was she on trying not to fall apart, she didn’t notice the horrified expressions on the faces of Pagliaro, O’Shea and Brian as they simultaneously tried to watch her and the oncoming Germans. She tried to steady her nerves, and when Johnson yelled at her again to fire she took aim and fired. The shot hit the un-armored underbelly of the tank as it was at the apex of its climb to get through the hedgerow. The tank exploded in a great burst of flame and fire.

That was a turning point in the battle, as the German tank drivers who had been lined up behind the tank that Dana and Johnson had destroyed reversed and backed off. Meanwhile battalion headquarters, having severely berated both F and D companies for backing off, put them forward 150 meters, which closed some of the gap on the left flank.

The Germans continued to attack, and the company threw everything it had at them to keep them at bay. By 4.30pm, they were almost out on their feet, and the sounds of further tanks approaching sent a shiver of dread down everyone’s spine. As the first tank broke through the hedgerow, Brian noticed the American flag painted onto the tank and a rousing cheer went up along the line. Sixty tanks from the 2nd Armored Division, accompanied by fresh infantry from the 29th Division, came up to relieve the company. As the tanks broke through the hedgerow, they were firing on the German positions, and it only took minutes for the remaining Germans to flee.

The company pulled back to Carentan and the officers found billets in undestroyed houses. Before going to bed just after 11pm, the officers went around checking on the men. Johnson sat down on the steps of the deserted hotel that Somerville had set aside for the officers, and he lit a cigarette. He was so exhausted that he fell asleep in the doorway.

The next day, the company dug in a defensive position to the south of Carentan. Neither side was making infantry assaults south of Carentan, but incoming and outgoing mail was never-ending as the Americans were receiving reinforcements and artillery from the beach, whilst the Germans were being reinforced from the French interior.

The company stayed within their foxholes during the daylight hours, ready to repel ground attacks but remaining out of sight as best they could. Lieutenant McKenzie wanted to know the strength of the German position opposite them and called for volunteers to make a high-noon patrol. Not surprisingly, no one volunteered. Somerville told Pagliaro that he was nominated to take the patrol, and McKenzie gave him a map of the hedgerows and farm buildings that the Germans seemed to be used which were located approximately 1 kilometre away.

Dana watched Pagliaro, Melville and Morris set out on their patrol and she felt a lump in her throat. Pagliaro had grown to become a close friend and she was worried about him.
About twenty minutes after the patrol set off, the sound of machine pistols reached the company and Dana felt her fingernails digging into her hands. About 5 minutes later, Pagliaro and Melville appeared dragging Morris between them. He had been hit in the neck by a sniper and Bouchard quickly went into action to bandage his wound as best he could.

A further patrol was sent out about two hours later, and this time Dana, Brian and O’Shea set off. O’Shea took point and moved up next to the hedgerow. Brian joined him there but stepped on a tree limb. The limb broke with a loud snap, and a German helmet raised up right across the hedgerow. O’Shea quickly shot at him. Seeing more Germans, the group hurriedly headed back at a full run.
“Damn, patrols may be a good idea but it’s also a damn good way to get your head shot off”, O’Shea said with a sigh.
“I don’t think I’ve ever run so fast in my life”, Brian wheezed.
“I’ve seen you sprint from fan girls before”, Dana said with a smirk. Whilst O’Shea glanced at her wondering what she was talking about, Brian looked at Dana and laughed.

**********************************

A big thank you to nolifelowlife for the comment. So glad that you're enjoying the story. I hope you liked the after-affects of Brian's dream. Poor Sergeant Butler is still having nightmares lol

Comments & subscriptions make me smile :-)