Smile For Him

Chapter Nine

“Evening, lads.” Louis said as he stumbled across the welcome mat. A couple of mumbles were heard from the living room in response over the sound of the television. Louis smiled and kicked off his trainers. They landed in the pile of shoes which was beginning to form at the bottom of the stairs. Louis jumped over them and ran up the stairs to his bedroom, flinging his wet coat onto the unmade bed and grabbing a dirty but warm hoodie from the floor. His ruffled his damp hair and looked in his mirror to see it had grown fluffy. Louis groaned and tried to smooth it down, but gave up once he realised his hair was refusing to co-operate. So instead he exited his room, stepping carefully over his laptop left carelessly on the floor, over the dirty pile of clothes he had yet to wash, and the stack of plates placed by the door. He ran down the stairs and flopped onto the sofa next to Niall, grabbing the beer bottle from his hand and taking a swig. “Oi, get your own!” Niall cried, snatching the bottle back and cradling it preciously. Louis groaned, but heaved himself off of the sofa and towards the kitchen, slipping on a FHM magazine which was left in the hallway in the process.

Their house wasn’t big, and it wasn’t particularly pretty either. But, it was cheap, and it had enough room for the four messy boys to live in. The house was originally Liam and Louis’, they’d brought it just over a year ago when both were fed up of their small and grotty apartment. To begin with it had been strange. Louis was nineteen at the time, and Liam just eighteen, and both were overwhelmed with the space that they had.

But two months after they’d first moved in one of their friends, Zayn had had an argument with his mother, and as a result was kicked out of the house. So the tiny third bedroom, which practically only had room for a single bed and a cupboard was now Zayn’s. It was confusing at first, as Louis and Liam had only just settled in themselves. And suddenly their outlandish friend was thrown into the system. Although, Louis must admit he enjoyed having the extra hand, as he never really did like doing the washing up. It had stayed like that for a while. Each boy was bringing in enough money to keep up with the bills, with both Liam and Louis working at the local pub, and Zayn at Blockbusters. It was tough, Louis couldn’t lie. Despite the boys knowing each other since middle school, and as much as they were friends, they could just as easily get on each other’s nerves. Liam had, on more than one occasion slammed the front door shut and spent the night at his Mum’s house after the frustration got too much.

So it was thankful that after nearly a year, their other friend Niall who’d moved from Ireland when he was seventeen claimed he was looking for a place to stay. Niall was previously staying with another mate of his; however his mate’s girlfriend was causing issues. Apparently she refused to let the boys drink beer on week nights. And so three days later, the Irish boy had set up camp on one of the sofas. And that’s how it had been ever since.

“How was work?” Louis asked as he collapsed back into the sofa, this time a bottle of beer in his hand. Liam made a noise of disinterest and shrugged, “It was all right. Nothing interesting,” while Niall cried, “It was the worst day ever! Little Timmy puked his lunch up all over me, Lisa stuck a plastic bead up her nose and Jeremy poked me in the eye...twice!” Niall sighed exaggeratedly and stated, “I need a new job. I don’t think I can stand that nursery anymore.” Louis let out a loud laugh. Niall had been working at the nursery since he’d left school at eighteen. At first he had loved it; after all, he was practically a child himself. But after a while the kids started the show their true colours and now everyday Niall would arrive home and claim that the kids were bullying him.

“I here there’s a place going at the pet shop.” Liam said, his eyes focused on the screen as he sipped his Pepsi. Niall made a noise of disgust, “Kids, animals, they’re all the same. They’re cute to look at but once you get too involved, they turn into little bastards.” Louis laughed again at the Irish boy. “Where’s Zayn by the way? I thought you guys were meant to be watching a film or something?”

“He’s gone to get pizza,” Liam explained, “he’s got a few DVDs from work too.” Liam picked up the small pile of cases from the coffee table and held his arm out for Louis to take. As he skimmed through the titles Louis groaned. Zayn was into weird films. And by weird he didn’t mean just a little bit confusing. He meant weird as in pink rabbits predicting the end of the world, giant spiders ripping people’s faces off, and Louis’ particularly favourite – people killing zombies with lawnmowers. The DVD that took Louis’ interest this time was The Human Centipede, he’d heard enough about the film to know he didn’t really want to watch it. But, knowing Zayn, he, as well as the other boys would be forced to watch it. So Louis downed the rest of his beer in preparation.

-

All four boys yelled in horror at the movie in front of them. Liam made a gagging sound while Niall choked on his piece of pizza. “I hate you.” Louis muttered to the dark skinned boy next to him. Despite the disgusting scene, Louis couldn’t quite take his eyes off of the TV scene. “How did you even find this film?” Liam asked, his whole body turned away from the scene. Zayn just shrugged, “Dunno. Just found it in the horror section and took it. I heard it was good.” Zayn winced at the film, while Louis squeezed his eyes shut.

“I’m getting another beer.” Louis said, springing up from the sofa and rushing to the kitchen. He grabbed another bottle from the side and popped off the cap. He leant against the work top for five minutes, smirking as he heard Niall scream from the living room. The kitchen was a mess, with the sink piled high with dirty dishes, and the floor covered in pasta sauces, beer and God only knows what else. His socked feet stuck to the titles because of the amount of grime, and Louis grimaced. If he wasn’t as tired and as tipsy as he was, he would have made an attempt to at least tidy it a little, but instead he walked away, ignoring the sticky sound his feet made as he walked across the floor.

-

“Morning, darling.” Anne said as soon as Harry entered the dining room. Despite it only being seven o’clock in the morning she already looked bright and awake, her green eyes sparkling. “Morning, Mother.” Harry mumbled quietly, lowering himself into his usual seat and watching as Chelsea rushed over to fill his glass with fresh orange juice. He gingerly picked up a piece of toast, and buttered it silently. The sound of Robin chewing loudly on his toast was the only sound that was heard, other than the clock on the wall ticking. Harry took the tiniest bite of his toast, staring only at his plate. The silence was broken by Gemma, who came bursting into the room dressed in her smart school uniform. She thumped into her seat and grabbed a handful of toast. “Morning,” she said cheerily. “Morning, darling,” Anne replied with a warm smile, one which Harry hadn’t received for her from his greeting. “Morning, sweetheart.” Robin smiled too, a sight that made Harry slightly sick. “How are you this morning? Got anything planned today?” Robin questioned her with genuine interest. “I’m good. I’ve got a hockey game after school, and then I said I’d meet Alice for coffee, so I’ll be home at around six o’clock, if that’s okay with you?”

“Perfectly fine.” Robin said with ease, “Unfortunately I have to go up to London tonight, so I doubt I shall be back in time for dinner. In fact, I have to leave now. I am quite sure my car is waiting for me. Have a good day,” he kissed Gemma on the forehead, and gave Anne a rather sloppy kiss on the lips, but all that Harry received was a glare. Harry looked away sharply, and continued to nibble his toast. His Mum and Gemma sprang into girlish conversation, “Oh my, Gemma, you must tell me who this boy is! Your father and I will be delighted.” Anne giggled. Harry sighed and stood up. His family didn’t even register that he had left the room. With his head down he wrapped himself up in his grey winter coat, and placed his school bag on his shoulder. “Mr. Styles, is it not a bit early to be going to school. It is only 7:15.” Tobias said. Harry was unaware that the butler was even there, but he sighed and shook his head. “It’s okay, I-I have something to do anyway.”

“Will you be requiring a car ride? It is rather cold out there, I am sure you would not like to walk in it.” Harry shook his head again, “It’s okay, Tobias. I like to walk. I shall see you this evening.” Harry replied politely before making his way to the door. Tobias did not have time to reply before the door was slammed and Harry was making his way down the path of his house. “Mr. Styles! Bit early isn’t it?” Greg said, knelt on the ground pulling out weeds. “No,” was all Harry could be bothered to mutter.

Harry knew getting to school this early would only mean the day would go by slower, but somehow, even without Robin being there, he didn’t want to be in that house. He knew, and always did know that he never truly belonged there. It was clear from the moment Robin showed his dislike towards him that he didn’t belong there. It was just that Harry had known no other life to be a part of. Harry had only ever been a part of this posh twat-like society, in which everyone is a bigot. Where it was okay to treat others with less money than yourself like shit, and that it was okay to judge people simply because they were different than you. Harry had never belonged, and he’d always known it, but it was only now that he was beginning to realise that there was a way out of it.