Smile For Him

Chapter Eleven

The school was empty. Lessons had finished twenty minutes ago, and the students had rushed off back home. Even some of the teachers had left, sending confused glances towards Harry, who was standing just outside the doors, his eyes fixated on the road in front of him. The teachers were no doubt questioning to themselves why the young boy was still here. Every teacher knew Harry Styles hated school. They all knew that he was quiet, and had no friends, and was bullied by his class mates. Not that they did anything about it. Harry Styles was even too weird for the teachers to bother with. In some of their eyes, it was Harry’s own fault. Harry was unresponsive and uncooperative; therefore he didn’t deserve to be treated like the other students. It was harsh, but true. The teachers at this school could be just as cruel as the students.

A female teacher with a stern face and her black hair pulled tightly into a bun came strutting out of the school. “You, boy,” she said, causing Harry to turn around, “what are you still doing here?” Harry’s eyes drifted towards her forehead, where her thin eyebrows were arched dramatically. It was slightly amusing to him; however it did make her appear much like a witch. “Well?” she demanded, her shrill voice piercing Harry’s ear. “Sorry. Um, I’m waiting for someone. They’re picking me up.” She looked down her nose at his messy curls, “Yes, well, make sure they arrive swiftly next time. It does not do the schools image well to have unruly students loitering after hours,” she sniffed and walked away, her Victorian-styled shoes clicking noisily on the pavement.

Harry was taken aback. She called him unruly? If there was one word to describe Harry Styles, it was certainly not unruly. Harry had to shake his head a little in laughter. Harry was quite possibly the quietest student in the school, and definitely the least disruptive. However, it appeared that he had a reputation for being unruly? Harry knew why this was, although it did confuse him a little. Harry was not like the other students. It is clear that he never fitted in, and in some ways, this scared the teachers. Rather than accept Harry for being what he was, they decided he was a troublemaker, and that he would influence the others around him to believe in the same liberal ways. Well, some of the teachers thought this anyway, the ones that bothered to pay him any attention.

What sprung Harry out of his thoughts was the sound of a cheerful car horn, and instantly Harry knew the day was about to get better. Even before he saw the car his cheeks were blushing, and his lips were tugging into a smile. Louis raced up to the front of the school, breaking only in time to stop merely inches away from Harry. Harry’s face went from shock to amusement. For a split second his mind really did believe that Louis was going to run him over, but once catching the laughing glint in the blue eyes, he instantly knew that he was joking. Louis cocked his head in a way that said, ‘get in’. Harry took a breath, and opened the door, sliding into his usual position in the passenger’s seat.

“Hey,” Louis said, turning towards him. Harry had to admire how effortlessly cool he looked. One hand on the wheel, the other carelessly slung over the back of Harry’s chair. One blue eye half-hidden from the way his soft hair flopped. A day’s worth of stubble scattered across his chin, which made Harry feel baby-faced and pubescent. He seemed to have a crooked smile, which was full of kindness and humour, but also held a sarcastic note. To be quite honest, Harry was amazed at himself that he could detect such little details in a simple smile. His green eyes flickered back to Louis’, and with a smile muttered back, “Hey.”

Louis’ smile widened before putting the car into reverse and doing a three point turn. Again, it was Louis who struck up conversation, and as always, asked the same question, “How was school?” despite asking the same question three days in a row, Louis always seemed interested. Well, up until the point where Harry repeated with the same answer. So, today Harry gave a different answer. With a slight glint in his eyes he admitted, “It was terrible.” Louis’ eyebrows rose in shock, as if he’d been waiting for that answer all along. “It has been all week, actually.” Harry admitted further, realising that for once it was okay to bitch and complain to someone.

“How so?” Louis asked. Even though his eyes were firmly on the road, Harry could see in Louis’ expression that he was keen to hear more. Louis knew all along, but he just wasn’t willing to interrogate Harry about the matter. “It just is, it always is. The people there, they don’t like me. They call me weird, and they push me around. I understand that I’m weird, I just don’t want them reminding me of that fact every moment they get.”Harry sighed deeply, clearly frustrated with the matter, but relieved that he could get the matter off of his chest. He glanced at Louis, who was chewing his lip in thought.

“They push you around?” he said after a while. Harry looked down at his lap, suddenly embarrassed. “Yeah,” was all he could say. He didn’t need to look at Louis to know the older boy was thinking. Louis was angry that people were treating his friend this way, and there was an obvious side of him that wanted to protect Harry. But Louis didn’t say a word. Maybe because he didn’t know what to say, or maybe because he had too much to say. An awkward silence filled the air for the last two minutes of their drive. Louis parked his car in a free space, and as Harry looked around he was surprised to see they were in the centre of town. But not the part of town Harry was use to seeing. There was no sign of greenery anywhere. The entirety of the place was grey, with litter dancing across the floor with the wind. Harry gingerly stepped out of the car, now more aware of the public school uniform he was wearing, although he was thankful he could hide most of it with his big coat.

Louis didn’t seem to be embarrassed by Harry’s company. Instead, he locked his car and said cheerfully, “Do you like milkshakes?” Louis took two steps towards the boy, his hands in his pockets. “Um, yeah, sure,” Harry said, his eyes darting around at all of the cheap shops along the street, wondering where Louis could be taking him. Louis grinned, his eyes creasing slightly as he said, “Good! So do I.” He gave Harry a look before walking off, causing Harry to scuttle after him. “I bet you don’t get shops like this in your part of town.” Louis laughed as they passed a ‘JD Sports’, where three teenagers in tracksuits were stood by the entrance. Harry made eye contact with one of them, and instantly looked away in embarrassed fear. “No, we don’t,” Harry said, giving a nervous laugh to show Louis he was okay.

They walked past a ‘Blockbuster’ where Harry noticed Louis seemed to perk up. Louis turned towards the glass doors, his eyes straining to see if Zayn was working already. “My mate works there.” Louis explained. Harry just nodded and kept his eyes on the floor, trying to step over the chewing gum and sweet wrappers. The only thing that littered Harry’s part of town was crisp golden leaves that fluttered gently from the trees. Although Harry knew for a fact it took the cleaners approximately seven minutes to sweep it up. They turned a corner, and Harry was met with even more shops. There was one shop which stood out, which Harry figured was the one they were heading to. It had a sign outside advertising their milkshakes, and it seemed to be by far the most popular place in the street. A dozen or so people were inside, either sipping their milkshakes chatting with their friends, or queuing up to make their order.

Louis entered the shop with confidence, giving a brief scan of the room to see if he recognised any faces. He did, although they were no one really worth talking to. Harry, on the other hand seemed to go ridged as soon as his feet touched the black and white tiled floor. He wrapped his coat tighter around himself despite the fact the room was much warmer than outside. He dared not take it off due to the blatant school blazer that he wore underneath. He raised his head enough to catch the sight of two girls who were sitting at a small table. They appeared to be his age, and were wearing foundation two shades darker than their natural skin tone. The one sipping on a blue coloured shake noticed Harry’s look, which caused her to look him up and down. It wasn’t with disgust, but more with interest. Her lips pulled into a smirk as she stared Harry in the eye. Keeping his gaze she raised the straw to her pouted lips and sucked her blue drink suggestively. Harry went bright red and looked away. He could hear her giggling and her friend whispering desperately, “What?” Harry strained his ears so he could hear the girl say, “That boy, sexy or what? Haven’t seen him before. He looks like one of them posh twats from up the road. Dunno what he would be doing here though.”

Harry couldn’t have been more embarrassed. Sexy? Never. He had never once looked in the mirror and thought he looked anything but scruffy and pathetic. Somehow Louis sensed Harry’s discomfort, and shuffled and inch or two closer to him. Harry’s head was down, meaning he would never see Louis sending a threatening look to the two girls, which caused them to roll their eyes in realisation and disappointment.

Harry was in so in his own world that he did not realise they had arrived at the counter. It was only when Louis asked, “What flavour?” that his head shot up. “Oh, uh, s-strawberry.” Harry stumbled. The girl at the counter raised her thick painted-on eyebrows and turned to Louis. “White chocolate and raspberry, please.” The girl just turned away without even a smile and began making the shakes. Louis forked some change from his pocket, which caused Harry to say, “I-it’s okay. I have some money.” Louis smiled, “Don’t be stupid. I’ll get it.” Harry looked away and licked his lower lip. He felt useless. He had more than enough money, yet he let Louis pay for him. He swore to himself that one day he would pay Louis back. How, he didn’t know. Maybe a nice bottle of wine? Although he guessed Louis didn’t really drink wine. A crate of beer then? Or would that be too trashy?

Harry muttered a, “Thank you,” as the girl thrust the plastic cup into his hand. “Where are we going now?”Harry asked once they stepped back onto the street. “Dunno. There’s a park about five minutes away, we could go there? I know of a nice tree.” Harry didn’t even have to give a reply before Louis started walking again. Harry sipped his shake and followed Louis, and, as promised five minutes later they arrived at a park. Or rather a small area with some trees.

“So,” Louis began, managing to climb a tree with milkshake still in hand until he was sat on the lowest branch, “I want to hear more about your school.” Harry looked up at the older boy, who held his hand out to take Harry’s drink. Harry gave it to him, and used two hands to climb onto the same branch. “Why would you want to know more about my school?” Harry asked, taking back his drink and watching as their feet swung beneath them. “Because I’m interested,” Louis replied, moulding his lips around the plastic straw in a way that caused Harry to blush. “There’s not much to say,” Harry said, looking away, “it’s just school. I don’t have any friends, the teachers don’t like me, and I hate pretty much all of my lessons.” Louis laughed, “So you have a pretty fucking hard time then?” Harry smiled back. “Yeah, I kind of do.”

“Do your parents know you have a shit time?” Harry realised things were getting a little bit too close to home, but he shrugged it off and answered the question anyway. “They do, but I think they think it’s my fault. Well, it is my fault-” he started to explain, but he was interrupted. “Nothing’s ever your fault, Harry,” Harry turned back to Louis to see a stern look. “Do you understand me? It is never your fault. It angers me that you think like that,” Harry was completely shocked at the sudden turn that Louis had taken. It made his heart beat at how protective he seemed. And Harry couldn’t quite believe that someone was trying so hard to make him feel good...to make him feel happy. “Harry, you are weird. You’re the fucking weirdest kid going,” Louis paused and laughed, “but I like that you’re weird. It’s a good weird. But please, don’t ever blame yourself. If people can’t see how amazing you are, than that’s their fault. It’s never yours.”

A gentle hand was placed on Harry’s knee. Harry’s heart thumped and it took all of his courage to turn and look into Louis’ eyes. There was a certain pain behind them, like a look of desperation. It was almost like Louis was begging him to understand. Harry had to swallow the lump in his throat. Louis was so genuine. He cared. He was the first one to care. Harry bit his lip as he began to feel the heat from Louis’ palm on his trousers. He felt like he could stay like this for hours, looking into those blue eyes, but it was Louis who looked away first. “What time do you have to be home?”

“Not yet,” Harry said quietly, it seemed to him that if he spoke too loud he would break the magic between them. “Not for a little while.” Louis smiled slightly, “Okay,” he squeezed Harry’s knee gently, and this time, it was Louis who smiled and blushed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for your responses so far! I really enjoy writing this story, I hope you enjoy reading it!