The Inbetween

Eight

Holly looked up at the clock – it was four thirty pm. Four and a half hours had been wasted. She only had seven and a half hours left, and she still had no clue how to tell him. She frowned hard at the floor, desperately knocking thoughts around her brain in an attempt to figure out how to let him know. She couldn’t take another day waking up on the cold hard concrete and wandering around without her brother knowing what really happened to her. They had spent the time that had ticked away talking about everything and anything that came to any of the six’s minds – which turned out to be a lot. Holly told them that each and every day since the accident she’d wander the streets or visit people who she loved, and told them that on more than one occasion she’d sat in on conversations with them. She’d also told them about the one time when she’d watched them perform live and had cried tears of utter pride, which caused Nathan to tear up.

They had decided to order in their food and Holly sat and watched as they ate, longing to join them. Not for what they were eating – Holly had found that she never was hungry or thirsty – but just for the social aspect. It was one thing to sit around the TV and talk about how she’d spent the last five years, but she longed to be able to sit and eat her own Chinese curry and ask her own questions about everyone else’s day. She allowed them to eat in silence and lolled her head back on the sofa, her brown curls falling behind her. Holly glanced at the clock again – five pm. She was getting agitated, and it was only when she glanced at the TV did inspiration hit her.

Holly sat bolt upright, a gasp escaping her. Nathan jumped from beside her and clutched at his heart; “Don’t-”

“Nathan, we have to go,” Holly said with an urgent tone to her voice.

“What, go where? Why?” Siva asked, leaning forward in his seat slightly.

“Earlier, when I was trying to talk to you- Nathan, please, we have to go!” Holly tugged on Nathan’s hand until he stood.

“Okay!” He cried, “Where are we going?”

“To the café,” she said. Nathan’s eyes became guarded and Max sat forward in his seat slightly. Holly noticed this but didn’t take her eyes from her big brother’s. Nathan stared back at his little sister; he hated going to the café. Without a doubt, absolutely hated it and he always avoided going anywhere near that road, for that’s where his baby sister died.

He gulped and finally nodded his head. “Okay then. Okay, let’s go.”

Ten minutes later the six of them walked into the café and into the booth in the corner that Holly had occupied that morning. It held the perfect view of the café and the street. She stood by the table staring hard out onto the street where it was starting to get dark.

“So what are we-?” Jay started.

“Shh!” Holly stopped him speaking; “I’m going to show you what happened when I died.”

“No!” Nathan shouted suddenly, slamming his hands onto the table. “You cannot show me that again, Holly. Do you know how much that affected me? I still have nightmares about it. No, absolutely not,” Jay and Max averted their eyes to the table but Tom and Siva looked between Holly and Nathan.

“But Nathan there’s something you need to know! And I can’t physically tell you! Please,” Holly pleaded, “Only once. Please?”

“No,” Nathan growled.

Holly bit her lip, glancing between everyone before resting her gaze on the road outside; “I’m so sorry, Nath,” she whispered, before she focused her energy and blinked.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one's a bit shorter, but the next one's longer! :) Enjoy!