Divine Chaos

15

We left the house and headed to Waterbury right when the sun went down. It was almost eight. We told my dad we were going out to eat, something lame that wouldn’t keep him up waiting all night for our return. We took my car, Val’s rusted red jeep “not classy enough for us”. I slipped in the driver’s seat, my tight red dress riding dangerously up my thighs. I pulled it down, but it was useless. Val got in beside me in her purple dress, not bothering to pull hers down which was even shorter than mine. I pulled off my heels so I could operate the pedals better and headed towards Waterbury.

“So where are we going anyways?” I asked Val, my stomach in knots.
“This night club in the center of Waterbury. It’s called Sin City,” she grinned at me.
“Why did they call it that?” I asked.
“I don’t know,” she said. “But it must be a pretty juicy place.”
“How did you even hear about it?” there was no telling with Val. “Wait, let me guess, a friend of a friend.”
She just laughed and gave me the directions.

When we pulled up to the club I was shocked. It was a pretty big place, but the line went almost all the way around the building. I parallel parked between a Mustang and a Dodge Charger and we climbed out of the car. I slipped my heels back on and straightened my dress. The lights off the building shined down on us. I looked over at Val, sticking her phone and money in her cleavage. I couldn’t help but laugh at the sight. The dark purple dress contrasted nicely against her tan skin and her auburn hair fell, long and shiny.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection off the window. I looked amazing. Overdone, but amazing. I really looked 22, something I thought I could never pull off and it lit a fire inside of me. I felt sparks in my chest and smiled, feeling wild and up for anything. Val waved at me to follow and I headed for the end of the line, instantly regretting my choice of shoes. But Val pulled me away and we headed up to the front. A few girls gave us dirty looks and I could feel all the guys staring so much that it almost burned.

“Val, what are you doing?” I whispered, not wanting to call any more attention to ourselves.
She shushed me, “Trust me.”
I sighed and sashayed beside her biting my lip. When we approached the bouncers, two of them, one big black man with permanent lines on his forehead and in between his eyebrows, and another one, big, white, and bald except for his beard and goatee. They both looked like scary biker dudes, definitely someone you don’t want to mess with. They were standing with a no-funny-business expression on their face, but when Val approached them, the white guy with the beard and goatee broke it with a smile.
“Jerry,” she said flirtatiously.
“Val, nice to see ya,” Val kissed his cheek. He looked over to the black man and then cleared his throat, “I need to see you’re ID. It’s routine.”
We both pulled the fakes out and handed them over to him confidently. He barely even glanced at them before pulling back the dark red velvet rope and letting us inside. Val kissed his cheek again and he held out his fist for me to bump. It kind of made me laugh.

We made our way inside, the music bumping and the lights flashing. “Who the hell was that?” I asked her, leaning in to ask in her ear because of the music.
“Johnny’s uncle,” she replied and gave me a grin. “Bar, now!”
I laughed at her, wondering why my friend was so crazy before following her to the bar that stretched down the back of the club. It had a black, sparkly top and there were round seats following down it. It was a busy night, but we managed to get the bartender’s attention and requested two apple-tinis. He nodded and then came back, the drinks in hand. He set them down in front of us and gave us a suspicious look. “IDs please?”

I felt butterflies gather in my stomach but pulled it out, mentally crossing my fingers. We handed it over and he looked down at them. I was suddenly grateful for the dark lighting. Any flaw on the IDs hopefully would be covered up enough by the lack of good light in this place. He handed them back, introduced himself as Jace and said if we needed anything to call him over.

We nodded and he left us. After, returning my ID to the black clutch I brought last minute we toasted and drank. After that, we looked around, checking out the guys, and making fun of some of the girls dancing who thought they actually looked sexy when really most of them looked like they had a seizure. A couple minutes passed and Jace came back over, two more apple-tinis in hand.
“From the guys down there,” he pointed to two not-that-bad-looking guys.

We giggled and held up our glass at them. They held theirs up from across the. We cheered and then downed that one as well. We drank ‘til we got a satisfying buzz and then headed out to the dance floor. Above us, were dancers in a white cage, moving their bodies to the beat, which was coming from a guy on stage standing behind a complicated looking mix board. We danced with each other, feeling the bass through our chest and trying not to run into people. It was crowded, but it felt amazing. The lights flashed above me as I felt someone come behind me.

I glanced back and recognized the guy from the bar. He smiled at me and grabbed my waist, moving with me. Val gave me look before the other guy came and danced with her too. I wondered what Johnny would think if he saw it. I shrugged it off though and danced the night away, feeling more alive than I had in a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter. Sorry.