Status: Comment<3

Little Bit of Truth

The Flight

Eliza and Noah were comfortable with one another. Eliza had awoken the day after the pub fiasco wrapped in Noah and had not questioned it one bit. She merely left his bed, dressed in her day old clothes and walked out of the door, she was late for work. She hailed a cab that drove her to her flat and with a quick shower and two aspirins, Eliza left for work. On her way to Strand, she sent Noah a text with the flight details. No mention of her drunken declarations was ever made.

Noah and Eliza were set to leave for the States on Friday. Louis made sure someone was able to cover for Eliza for her three week absence and Noah made sure his band did not book any gigs for the following few days. The night before their flight, Noah rang Eliza with his mind and closet in disarray.

“Lie, what am I supposed to bring?”

“Noah, ask your mother. I don’t know what you need.”

“Well, I have a suit for the wedding but other than that should I bring my normal clothes or something more decent. Khakis and oxfords, perhaps?”

“Noah, you’re thinking way too much. Wear what you feel comfortable in.”

“Won’t your mum mind? You’ve told me she can be a proper bitch so I don’t want to get on her bad side.”

“Trust me when I say you won’t.” Eliza said knowing her mother would not like Noah.

Her mother believed a man should be prim and proper. He should have hair that was not in constant disarray and he should have a degree and a stable job. In her eyes, a man should be all about the materialistic. It did not matter that Noah had a good heart and that he was happy with his life. In Lillian’s eyes, money could always buy happiness.

“I’m going to pack some decent clothes just so your mum doesn’t kill me on arrival.”

“You do that Noah.”

As Noah tried to pack attire that would suit Lillian Barnes’ fancy, Eliza searched her closet for everything that would make her mother glower. Leather jackets, leggings paired with loose tank tops and dark colors dominated Eliza’s suitcase. She packed one nice dress for some formal dinner that Eliza knew she would need to attend but other than that, her clothing choices were sure to make her mother cringe which left a satisfied smile on Eliza’s face.

~~~~///~~~~


The following morning, Noah and Eliza met at Heathrow for their flight. As Eliza locked her flat door, she realized for the first time in a while she felt at home. Upon leaving Maine, she would be going back home.

When Eliza saw Noah, she groaned. He had chosen today of all days to dress in a somewhat normal manner. He wore dark denim jeans and a red and black plaid shirt with a beanie covering his mop of hair. Hopefully Eliza’s attire would be enough of a nuisance for her mother, a grey tank top with “Hope for the hopeless” emblazoned across its front and black jeans and cardigan along with a black pair of TOMS.

Noah did not realize it was Eliza that was walking towards him until she stopped in front of him. She no longer wore a dress or skirt with a pair of sky high heels. Instead, she looked quite average and quite comfortable.

“Well, are you excited to see the States?” Eliza asked Noah.

“Of course I am. I have never actually left the UK.”

“You’re so uncultured.”

“Yes, me of all people.” Noah said in a tone of disbelief.

“Let’s get our luggage booked and get me a cup of coffee. I am not prepared for this flight. She probably booked a flight at seven in the morning on purpose. She knows I hate waking up early.”

“You make her sound horrible.” Noah said with raised eyebrows.

“She’s not horrible.” Eliza said to Noah. “She’s worse than that.”

“I doubt that’s true love.”

“Doubt me all you want but when she scrutinizes your every move and criticizes the manner in which you breathe, you’ll know I was right.”

“Lie.”

“I am not lying. I pinky swear.” Eliza said as she held out her pinky to intertwine with Noah’s.

Noah shook his head at the girl’s childlike personality and headed towards security. After a half hour of waiting in line, the pair was cleared through security and the pair went to get Eliza coffee.

“This coffee is proper shit. Strand brews so much better coffee.” Eliza complained as Noah merely stirred his in silence with a small smile on his face.

“My complaints are making you laugh?”

“I always laugh at your complaints but I’m only smiling because of the way you complained. You’re becoming more and more English by the second.”

“So maybe I am. It’s no big deal.”

“Of course not.”

Eliza and Noah were buckling their seatbelts when the worried feeling settled itself into Noah’s stomach. He had never flown before and now that he thought about it, he did not like the idea of a metal box suspending him in the air.

“Don’t tell me you’re afraid of flying.” Eliza said as she saw Noah’s clenched fists.

“Ok, I won’t tell you.”

Eliza reached over to Noah’s fist and waited for him to unclench it before placing her hand in his and giving him a gentle squeeze. “It’ll be fine. It’s nothing. I’ve flown tons of times and I’m fine, aren’t I?”

“Don’t jinx it.” Noah said as the flight attendant informed them that they would be landing at John F. Kennedy Airport in six and a half hours’ time.

“See, only a few hours. Don’t worry.” Eliza said before placing headphones in her ears and closing her eyes. Noah followed suit and soon he was asleep with his head on Eliza’s shoulder and their hands in one another’s. Somewhere midway over the Atlantic, the plane hit turbulence which awoke Noah with a start.

The plane shook and rattled and he was frightened. Eliza merely shook head at Noah’s frightened expression. Taking out a headphone from his ear she told him “It’s just turbulence. Don’t worry. It’s not a big deal.”

“We better take a boat back to England Eliza ‘cause I don’t think I can handle another plane ride.”

“It’s going to be fine. Don’t you trust me?”

Oddly enough Noah did and the remainder of their flight was spent sleeping soundly.

“Welcome to New York City. The temperature is sixty-five degrees Fahrenheit, eighteen degrees Celsius. Enjoy your stay.” The flight attendant announced over the speakers.

“How about a small tour of New York before we head up to Maine?” Eliza asked Noah as they left the plane and headed to baggage claim.

“I’m up for it if you are.”

“I am more than up for it. I lived here for four months. You gave me a tour of London, I’m going to repay the favor.”

“Why’d you leave this city?”

“Not the time or place.” Eliza said as she headed to chauffeur carrying a sign that said “Barnes, Eliza.”

“Change of plans sir, we’re going to head into the city for a while before driving up to Maine.”

“As you wish, Ms. Barnes.” The man said as he led them to their car.

The city that never slept awaited the insomniac and the dreamer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eliza's outfit
i've lost a sub which disheartens me. hope this chapter is long enough. this story is about to get filled with drama.
please comment for another update. writing the next chapter at the moment
Marie