Status: Comment<3

Little Bit of Truth

The Man in the Cab

Eliza was tired. She wanted to find the hotel she had hastily made reservations with and rest. That was all Eliza wanted and yet sleep seemed hours away. She sat at the curb, frustration seeping through every fibre of her body. Where was the stupid taxi that was supposed to take her to the stupid hotel that she had stupidly made reservations with so she could get some stupid sleep? In New York, she had to merely walk out of LaGuardia Airport and there would be a taxi waiting for her. Why was the same not true for Heathrow Airport? Just when she was about to blow a gasket, a taxi stopped in front of her and a middle-aged man with laugh lines asked,

“Where to, love?”

“Oh thank god!” Eliza exclaimed to herself. “Park Lane Hotel, please.”

The man nodded his head and loaded her bags into the trunk of the taxi.

“So what brings you to London, love?” the man asked in an attempt to make conversation.

Eliza gave the man a once-over and decided he was a normal man; he did not emanate a psychotic aura so she told him what it was. She would surely never see the man again and what was the harm in getting a few burdens off of her chest?

“Problems, a great deal of problems. I have a knack for running away from my problems so I decided what better way to run then to go to a foreign country?” she said, giving a shaky laugh.

“Dear, what sort of problems would a lady your age run from?”

“Well, this time, it was a guy. I like to think I’m one tough cookie, definitely not the sort of girl to cry and ruin her life when a guy leaves them. But, it’s a lot harder to say than do. Nicholas was the first real boyfriend I have had in … well my whole life really. I don’t like getting close to people. I usually leave before I get the chance to do so anyways. However, I stayed in Pine Creek for a while, six months to be exact. That’s the longest I’ve been in one place really. But, walking in on another girl, a busty blonde named Sandy to be exact riding my boyfriend of four months was not really great. We were nothing serious but we were exclusive. I suppose I was a lot more hurt than I let myself admit, but then again, it’s not like he was my first love. So, I did what I always do. I packed my suitcase, looked at the map and decided where I would go next. It was as simple as that.” She finished her rather pathetic tale with a bitter tone.

“Well it seems to me that you haven’t got your life in order. Now excuse me for being so frank, but if you were set on what you were doing in life and had everything planned, you would not let a silly, pathetic excuse for a lad get in your way. You’ve got to be stronger and more determined. Don’t let the trivial problems of life mess with you. Besides, you definitely grew attached to this Nicholas lad. Time heals wounds, even the ones we try painfully to hide.”

Not knowing how to answer the man for her jaw had droppd, Eliza said “My name’s Eliza Marie.”

The man let out a hearty laugh and said “The name’s Edward, but me wife calls me a pain in the rear end.”

Eliza laughed out loud. She liked this Edward. He was a nice, friendly fellow.

“How long have you been married Edward?”

“Twenty-one painful years!” However, after seeing Eliza’s shocked face he added “I’m only joking. Its been twenty-one years, but they haven’t been painful, well not too painful.” He said which sent the two of them in another roar of laughter.

“Do you have any children?”

“Yes. I’ve got twins, Noah and Lucas. They’re both twenty-one years old. I’ve also got a daughter, Ivy, she’s nineteen. She’s such a nice lass, you’d like her. What about yourself? Family?”

“I have a mother and father that are living in New Mexico at the moment and an older brother, Stephen. He’s getting married in two months.”

“Does your family know you left the States?” Edward asked her in a serious tone.

“I plan on informing them when I get to the hotel. But they probably don’t care, they’ve become accustomed to my constant moving.”

“Well Eliza dear, I doubt they don’t care, they are your family. Anyways, this is your stop. It was a pleasure meeting you. I do hope you get your life in order.”

“Thanks Ed. I appreciate it.” Eliza said as she handed him two British 20 pound bills. Thankfully, she’d gotten her American money exchanged at the airport.

“Here’s my number love. If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to call. You seem like a sweet girl. Life tests us all, even the sweet and the innocent. Good luck.”

“Bye Ed. It really was a pleasure.” she said as she put the slip of paper with his messy scrawl scribbled across it in her bag.

Less than an hour in London and Eliza had made an acquaintance. Perhaps England wouldn’t be so bad after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments galore!!!!!!!!!!!!
But seriously, tell me what you think.
-Marie