Status: Comment<3

Little Bit of Truth

The Proposal

Three weeks had elapsed since Eliza’s arrival in London. She smiled at the thought of having been in London for three weeks. The jittery feeling that came around this time, three weeks into a new location, never came for Eliza when she was in London. For the first time since Houston, Texas, Eliza felt as though she belonged somewhere. She finally felt as though she could stay put for a while.

The Evansson’s were the most amiable family Eliza had ever met. Following the eventful dinner on Sunday, Eliza returned to the Evansson’s for the past two Sundays for dinner. She grew attached to the family and threw all reservations to the wind. If she wanted to find friendship then so be it.

Noah left Eliza alone and did not throw taunts at her despite the atrocities that often left the small brunette’s mouth. Ivy soon was Eliza’s twin, attached at the hip as Rose would say. Luke kept to himself but he often made the overture, the step in making conversation with Eliza. Through their short conversations, Eliza came to learn that Luke was on his way to becoming a doctor. He liked to read rather than attend parties and had a sweet girlfriend of four years, Vivienne. It was safe to say that the Evansson household had started to treat Eliza as one of their own. Ivy was no longer the only daughter and Ivy did not mind this new realization at all.

However, all good things must come to an end. That was the notion that occupied a small corner of Eliza’s mind. Life was being far too kind. Where were the trials that came after two weeks or the tribulations that arose three weeks in? Well, fear not, for the first problem came in the form of a phone call on an unusually sunny Tuesday morning.

Eliza had just gotten ready for work and was locking her door when her cell phone rang. It was early, eight o’clock, so Eliza’s eyebrows shifted in confusion. Who could be calling her at such an early hour? However, all curiosity left Eliza’s face and was replaced by a blanched face when her eyes fixated onto the tiny screen.

The 505 number that glared back at her made Eliza’s stomach fall. Her mother was calling. Taking a deep breath, Eliza answered the call as she headed out for the walk to work.

“Hello.”

“Eliza, what is this I hear from Stephen? You’ve moved to England? Was running around one country not enough for you that you had to go across the pond?”

Of course, Eliza thought, never a simple hello. “A nice ‘hello Eliza, how are you?’ would suffice Mother.” Eliza said calmly.

“I do not care for simple mundane greetings just as I do not care for your consistent need to move about.”

“Well Mother dearest, if I do recall correctly, I was under your care when I went to eight different schools in a matter of four years. Perhaps it isn’t my fault that moving is so commonplace in my life.” Eliza said bitterly.

“I did not call to listen to your usual rants and tirades…”

“Of course you didn’t Mother. Doing that would imply that you actually care. So tell me, what is it this time? How could I possibly be of service to you now?”

“Don’t use your sarcasm on me; I’m not your brother or father…”

“I know you’re not Mother, which is why I didn’t want to answer your call.”

“Eliza Marie Barnes!”

“Mother dearest!” Eliza shot back.

Lillian Barnes let out a sigh of frustration as anger began to seep through her body. “Your brother’s wedding is in a month. I want you in Maine a week before the wedding. Bring a date and none of those odd men you seem to attract.”

“So if Stephen wasn’t getting married, you wouldn’t have called me? Typical.” Eliza said in disbelief.

“Oh stop your wining and ‘woe is me’ attitude. Be in Maine in three weeks. I’ve already gotten you two tickets. You’ll be driving up from JFK. A car will be waiting for you at the airport.”

“What a surprise, you don’t leave out a single detail, flawless as always Mother. I’ve got to go, I have a job to attend to.” And without so much as a goodbye, Eliza dropped the call.

Eliza and her mother did not always have such a bitter relationship. In fact, being the only daughter, Eliza was often showered with affection throughout her childhood. However, all that changed in Houston. Eliza learned then that running was the only way to solving a problem. Following the incident in her sophomore year, Eliza’s family moved to Sacramento, California and never spoke of it again. While Eliza resorted to a hardened exterior, a layer of sarcasm and a reserved personality, Lillian blamed her daughter. If only she hadn’t been running late for school that day, nothing would have happened.

Eliza was daydreaming at the cash register of Strand when a familiar mop of dark hair walked in. Looking at him, Eliza thought, how was it possible? How could his family be so perfect and affectionate while hers was cold and reserved? To say she was jealous would be an understatement. Eliza looked at him, actually looked at Noah for the first time. He wore black skinny jeans that were of the looser variety, black boots, a grey t-shirt with a black leather jacket while his hair looked as disheveled as usual. He was the kind of guy her mother would hate. Eliza smiled as a devious idea formed in her mind.

“Eliza! I need your help!” Noah exclaimed with a frantic expression on his face.

“My my Noah. A being as wonderful as you needs the help of lil old me?” Eliza said in a mock Texan accent.

“Be serious for a second. I need you to be my date.”

Eliza shot the green-eyed boy an incredulous look. “Shouldn’t dates be reserved for people that one does not feel disdain for?”

“I don’t loathe you Eliza.” He said in an offhand manner. “Mother is having a dinner party. Normally I don’t care but she invited the Sullivans, which means their daughter Helen will be coming. The woman is obsessed with me, I swear. I need you to go with me. You’re the only girl I can think of that doesn’t like me and is an outright bitch when she needs to be. You’re perfect.”

Eliza was about to say no when her own mother came to her mind. “How badly do you need to fool Helen?” She asked.

“Desperation is an understatement.”

“I’ll go, but I need a favor in return.”

“Anything.” Noah said while giving a sigh of relief.

“Anything? Well than I need you to be my date for a wedding.”

“A date for a date seems fair enough.” Noah mused.

“But mine is a bit more complicated. I need you to fly to the States, as you call it, for my brother’s wedding where we’ll be staying for a week and a half.”

“Why are you asking me? Ask Luke.”

“Why are you asking me to cover for you? Ask someone else.”

“Touché.” After a moment of silence Noah said. “Fine I’ll do it.”

Perfect, Eliza thought as she smiled to herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
I changed the time period in the prologue. Check it out?
Well, how's it going? Do you still like it? Comment?
Eliza's outfit
Young Guns' Bones came out. Amazing album, everyone should go listen to it.
-Marie