I'll Never Forget You

Oneshot

“Come on Frankie.” I said to my friend who stood in the doorway to their home. “Come on, please Frankie.” I pleaded once more for him to move at least one inch out of the front door, but he simply looked at me with the same blank expression on his face, that he’s had for the past few days. Then again, I can’t blame him. “Come on, just take a walk with me, down to the old park or something, we can just sit and talk.. Just come out please” I pleaded to him once more. His expression didn’t change. I pleaded once more. “Please Frankie. It’s not healthy to stay in for such a long time, you need to get out just fir a little bit, please?” I stared at him and waited for a response.

“Fine.” One word. That’s the most anyone has got out of him for the past two days. He hasn’t said a word to any of us. They only time he’s spoken of it was to tell their family, and that was only a few sentences. He’s locked us all out so far, but I need to get inside.

He grabs the key’s off the tiny table near the door and shoves them in his pocket and shuts the door behind him and puts his hands in his hoodie pockets and stands beside me. I pulled my hood up over my mess of black hair, put my hands in my hoodie pocket and began to walk down the empty street. We walked down the empty Belleville street, I lead the way with my friend following solemnly behind me, with his head down and hood up, watching his own footsteps. He knows where we’re going. We’re going to the same place we always go together now. The old Belleville park. Only a few ever go their now so I know we can talk and not worry about people wandering around us. There was a light breeze whispering around us not cold but cold enough to know it was their, the streets were silent and it was almost like the breeze was actually whispering to us, well to me at least. After a while we reached the old park and I opened the gate and let Frank walk in first, he then walked straight over to the old oak tree in the corner of the park where we all used to play as kids… all of us… together. I looked around and the park was empty as normal and the only thing to be heard was a slight creak of the kid’s swings, I turned back to face where Frank was now sat and walked over to him.

“See, it’s a nice day Frankie, bet your glad you came out today right?” I waited for his answer but he continued to looked at his hands in his lap, twisting the band of white gold around his finger. “So… are we going to talk or are we going to sit here in silence until it gets dark?” Again I waited for him to answer but he continued to twist the band of white gold around his finger. “Come on Frank. Talk to me. Please, let me in just a bit please?” I asked him the same question I’ve asked him about a thousand times before, it was getting repetitive now.

“I’m okay Gee” he stated to me. I could see the tears building up in his eyes, I tipped his chin up and looked straight into his eye’s. “I’m okay Gee, I promise” he tried to state once more but a tear fell from his eye.

“No. Your really not okay.” I stated back to him. He closed his eyes and a few more tears fell from his eyes. I whipped them away with my thumb and hugged him. “Oh Frankie, you know you can talk to me right?” I felt his small frame shake as his cried into my shoulder. This was the first time I have ever seen Frank cry. The first EVER time I’ve seen him cry. I held him close to me and rocked him back and fourth, he held on to me tight and cried more. “That’s it Frankie, cry all you want, I’m here for you” I whispered to him while rubbing his back and doing my best to make my friend feel better. I felt the tears prick my own eyes as he began whispering the one thing I didn’t expect him to say.

“Gee, I can’t go on. I need to be with her.” he kept on repeating the last part over and over again, crying harder and harder each time. He scared me. He wouldn’t possibly do anything.. Would he?

“Come on Frankie, talk to me, tell me everything that running through that little head of yours” He pulled away from me and looked at me, his eyes red and blood shot and his cheeks wet.

“I was married to her Gee. I know she had a problem, I know she wouldn’t last as long as other people might, but I loved her Gee. I was so in love with her I can’t describe it. She was everything to me.” he paused and looked up and me, more tears rolled down his cheek.

“I know you loved her Frank”

“I Love her. I won’t ever stop.” He stated to me.

“I know.. I know Frankie. We all loved her. We all miss her so much too. Nothing will be the same without her, she was a part of us all. She’s always going to be with us Frankie, you just have to know she’s free now, she’s not in any pain now. She’s alright” I said trying to give him a shed of hope. I poor guy lost everything the second she.. Passed on.

“You weren’t there Gee. You weren’t there when she took her last breath. You weren’t there when she was struggerling to live. You didn’t have to just sit back and watch her die. You have no idea how much pain I was in, just sitting there watching her die. Gerard, she died holding my hand, she died as my wife, the second she died, so did a part of me… no-one can understand how much that hurt.”

By the time he finished I had tears rolling down my cheek. No-one knew how she died, whether she was in pain or asleep or anything. All we knew was that she was gone and she wasn’t coming back. It hurt us all. Yet none of us could even imagine what Frank was feeling. Frank had known her since they were small, he always had known about the disease but it didn’t dim his feelings in the slightest. Lola had Systemic lupus erythematosus. A disease that can be fatal and in her case it was. Lupus effects the immune system where it attacks the body’s cells and tissue, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage. It can attack anywhere on the body. At first when she was young it was only at her joints, making it hard for her to live like an ordinary kid, but she lived the fullest life anyone could with the disease. After years it began spreading more quickly, spreading through her whole body, first to her liver, then to her heart and then, finally, to her brain. That’s what did it… After a few months of having it in her brain she died. With her death, she took a piece of us all.

“I know Frankie.. We’ll never forget her. I promise you that, she’s always going to be with us. She’s a part of us all. She may not be here Frankie, but she’s never that far away, she’s in your heart, never forget that, she’s always with you, looking after you, you’re her princess Frankie with your bright pink tiara” I smiled weakly and he looked up and smiled weakly back at me. Both of us remembering back to the good old day’s back when My Chemical Romance was just starting out, when we all were so young and didn’t know any better. Back in the good old day’s. The day’s when we were all together.

“Gee. Ever song we’ve written makes me think of her.. Every time we played on stage she’s be there waiting for me after. Now every time I get off stage she won’t be there anymore.. Gee.. I need to get a new guitar, I need to call it Lola.. Then her memory will be with me every time I’m on stage.. And then everyone will know her name.. Gee. I need a Lola. Just so I‘ll never forget her..” Then he looked up skywards. “Lola Elizabeth Iero I’ll never forget you, I love you, I promise.”