Sequel: Lost In Stereo
Status: Complete!! Check out the sequel! =D ----->

Nothing Personal

Chapter One

Zooey was just about to turn the page of her book when the familiar voice popped into her head. *Another book Zo? Seriously? I think you’re going to ruin your brain with all those words you read.*

*Why hello to you too Alex,* she muttered in reply as she glanced at the new page but didn’t bother beginning to read it. He just started talking, and there was no way he was going to shut up now until he either got tired or hungry. *And for your information, reading is actually good for your brain. Not bad like you think.*

*I still think it’s the other way around. And aren’t you supposed to be saving for college instead of buying more books? I think I’m going to sign you up for one of those intervention shows. You’ve got what? 300 books now?*

*247, and I don’t need an intervention, everyone besides you seems to think that it’s a healthy habit of mine. You just like to pick on me.* She said as she glanced over as she heard her best friend Penny talking. But it wasn’t to her so she could go back to pretending to be reading her book while actually talking to the random voice in her head.

Most people think, voice in someone’s head equals insane. Like someone should be calling the closest psychiatric hospital and have they admitted. But for Alex and Zooey, it was something normal. They had been able to do this since Zooey had turned 14. And now four years later, he was one of the people who knew her best. They had gotten over the fact that they could be crazy a few days after it all had happened.

But no one knew about it. Not even Zooey’s best friend, besides Alex, Penny. They had been best friend since the first day of kindergarten. Or even Alex’s best friend Jack, from what Zooey could tell from Alex’s description was a loyal, corny, funny, and awkward guy all packed into one. No one knew. And they figured no one would ever know.

They had never met either and probably never would. He lived all the way in Baltimore Maryland, and she lived in a small town in Minnesota. He was a lead singer in a band with a name he wouldn’t tell her, and she was a high school senior praying that she wouldn’t be stuck in this small town she had lived in her whole life.

Even though they always went to each other with everything and anything that was going on in their lives, Alex still didn’t tell her much. Not that Zooey was worried or anything, he just didn’t like to talk about his life much.

Alex was in mind sentence when she heard her name being called and turned from her book to see Penny glaring at her with her bright blue eyes. “Um, sorry, what did you say?” She asked as she also told Alex to shut up.

“God you get so mixed up and those books? Which one is it now? Your favorite or is this a new one that you got because you got bored rereading your other ones for the billionth time?” Penny asked as she twisted her blond hair back into a messy bun while still keeping the glare in her eyes.

Zooey sighed; she was not having this conversation again. Even thought Penny didn’t know she had already had it with the voice in her head. “What’s up? You ready for me to proof read?” She asked as she glanced at the laptop on Penny’s lap.

“Ugh don’t start. I need a break on this paper, I say we go hit up Las Nachos and then come back once our stomachs are full of yummy Mexican food.”

She was referring to one of their favorite places in town. It was just a few miles from Penny’s house where they currently were working on homework. Well, Penny was anyway. Zooey had all hers done thanks to the eight period study hall she had. But had promised to come over to help her friend on the history paper she had been working on for the last few days.

“You told me before you started it that I wasn’t to allow you any distractions until it was done.”

“Screw it, let’s go.” Was all Penny replied along with an eye roll as she set her laptop on the desk and went to grab her bag.

Zooey just laughed as she set her book down and grabbed her bag also and then followed her friend out to the driveway and to Penny’s old Accord. She got in the passenger seat and began to fiddle with the radio once the car was started. Once she settled on a station, she leaned back and sang along to the song. It was a nonofficial rule that when one was driving, the other had control/in charge of the stereo.

*Ugh, Zo, either stop singing in your head or change the station. I hate that song.* Alex muttered as she laughed and reached over for the knob.

*Sheesh, touchy aren’t you. You just don’t appreciate good music.* She settled on another station and sat back mentioning that she wasn’t going to switch it again. It was one of her favorite songs.

*Better,*

“Did you see how Derek was flirting with you today in Bio, I think he’s interested in you.” Penny said once the song was finished.

“Yeah right, he probably just wanted the answers to the homework.” Zooey muttered as she started to flick through the stations again to find another song she liked.

“Zo, he was totally interested. Besides, you need a date to the dance. It’s coming up soon. You should start giving guys more than one worded answers. How else are you going to get someone to ask you to the dance?”

“Why do I even need a guy to go to a dance? There’s no rule that in order to go to the dance you need a date. Why can’t girls just go themselves or with a group of friends?”

“Wow, you were so born in the wrong decade.” Penny muttered before dropping it and went back to singing along to the song that was playing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so hello there. Thanks for reading! =} This chapter is actually longer but I'm spliting it into two chapters so it doesn't get too long and I don't want to bore you. But I hope you guys like!

This is actually my first fanfic that I've actually posted and it's only up because Faydflowright encouraged me to do so, so I'm a little nervous! But tell me what you guys think! Next chapter should be up really soon! =}