Status: Comment Please :)

The Way We Were

Unexpected

Image

October Twenty-Sixth

I had my bags all packed and my gown came back from the cleaners perfectly pressed and in its bag. We were taking the family's jet to Nashville; my brothers and sister-in-laws were downstairs, Nik and Daniel took my bags down to Daniel's SUV for me and I gave my dress to Edie and Chanel to take down also. Jack was coming too, I invited him to the wedding and I wanted him to come and meet me and Caleb's families.

I was pacing around my room making sure I didn't forget anything and checked my bag multiple times. "Keys, makeup, wallet-" As I was talking to myself, I suddenly felt sick. Quickly I held my mouth and ran downstairs into the bathroom and got sick.

Jack must have heard me and quickly came in, he held my hair as I coughed. I shut the lid and flushed the toilet, sitting on the floor from sitting on my knees.

"Audrey are you alright? Are you sick?" He asked.

I sighed and let him help me up, I walked to the sink and rinsed out my mouth. "I have no idea. This is the second time today, it's been happening for a couple days now. I didn't even drink that much last night, maybe three or four champagnes, but I never get sick from that."

"Maybe it's the flu, should I make you some tea? Do you want any pepto-bismol or aspirin?"

"I don't know what it is. And no thanks, I'll take something on the plane." I shook my head. We walked out of the bathroom and I picked up my purse that was dumped out on the floor. Jack went to the living room and I told him to not tell my brothers about it. I knelt down and began putting the things back in my purse when my heart stopped. I picked up a tampon and was frozen.

"Audrey, are you ready?" Daniel called from the living room.

I quickly shoved it in my bag and stood up, "Yeah, I just forgot something, I'll be right there." I ran up the stairs to my room and tore the calendar off the wall and began flipping through the months, studying the little red marks that I left on certain days. When I flipped to October, there were no red dots.

I covered my mouth and the calendar dropped out of my hand, "I'm late."

* * *

I was very quiet during the car ride, so much was on my mind. When I saw the drugstore down the street, I made an excuse to stop there.

"Hey, do you think we could make a quick stop at the drug store?" I spoke.

"Sure, for what?" Daniel asked, looking in the rearview mirror at me.

"I'm gonna get my prescription refilled. I need to go back on my pills again, the bipolar ones." I lied.

"Oh yeah, definitely. Go ahead." He pulled over and I got out, trotting into the store.

I walked to the back where the pharmacy was, I looked around and made sure no one else was around.

"Hi, can I help you?" The pharmacist asked.

I hesitated and then leaned forward, whispering, "Can I get a...a...pregnancy test?"

She nodded, "Is there a certain brand you'd like?"

I made a face, not knowing which one. "Whichever is the most accurate."

She smiled, "Alright." She turned around and took one off the shelf. "You can pay here."

So I paid and quickly stuffed it in my bag, I thanked her and left. We went on our way to the airport where our jet was.

The entire ride was excruciating. An hour and a half felt like an eternity. What if I was? What would I do? What would Caleb do? What if I am? I was fidgety during the flight, the others laughed and asked what was wrong, I just told them I'm excited for the wedding and to see Caleb.

Caleb's POV

I was running around doing some last minute things, preparing my wedding gift to Audrey. The house was finished being built, and it looked amazing. This entire week the guys and I have been making multiple trips to Ikea and other places like that buying stuff to fill the house with. We even got the kitchen painted pink for Audrey. I just know that she'll love this, it'll be the perfect place to raise a family.

The guys left about half an hour ago to go and pick them up from the airport, and I eagerly awaited their arrival. I had just walked back from the house, through the orchard, when I heard a group of people laughing and talking. I saw them getting out of the vehicles.

I smiled as I ran up to the house, quickly greeting the others but singling out Audrey to hug and kiss her.

"Hi Caleb." She softly smiled, hugging me tightly. She held me for a moment and then kissed me, looking into my eyes and kissing me again. I sensed that something was off. I whispered to her, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She laughed, "I just missed you. That's all."

I smiled back, feeling somewhat reassured. "I'll grab your bags, do you wanna go up to the room?"

She nodded and went to greet our parents; her parents came yesterday from Los Angeles.

Audrey's POV

I was up in the room sitting on the edge of the bed, my heart racing, feeling sick to my stomach. Then Caleb came into the room and put down my bags by the bed.

"I have something for you. A wedding gift, do you wanna go check it out now?" He grinned, sitting down next to me holding a small box neatly wrapped.

I lightly smiled, "Yeah, I'd love to. I'm just gonna use the bathroom first."

"Okay," He kissed my cheek then stood up, "I'll be downstairs." He left the room and shut the door after him.

I sat there for a moment, frozen with fear. Finally I worked up the courage to open up my purse. I tore the white paper bag from the pregnancy test's box, but then all of a sudden the bedroom door quickly opened.

"I almost forgot your wedding gift." Caleb laughed, walking in. As soon as he saw the test in my hand he stopped dead in his tracks. "What's that?"

I looked down then back up at him, I sheepishly smiled, "Possibly a wedding gift?"

He shut the door and quickly came over, sitting down next to me. "Are you?...Are you?"

"I don't know...I've been sick for days, and I'm late."

"For what?" He asked.

I made a face.

"Oh."

"Caleb...I'm scared...what if I am?" I whispered. "What would you think?"

He then smiled, "I'd be the happiest man on earth."

I smiled back, "Really?"

"Of course! Audrey, this is-this is! I don't know but I'd be so happy!" He laughed, standing up.

"Okay...then I guess I'll take the test." I lightly laughed. I got up and slowly walked into the bathroom, shutting the door slowly behind me, but soon there was a fast knock at the door. I furrowed my brow then opened the door again.

Caleb pulled me in for a kiss, "Good luck."

I started laughing, "I'm peeing on a stick, how much luck do I need?"

"Okay, go. Do it." He smiled, shutting the door again.

Again Caleb was pounding his fist against the bathroom door, this time I didn't open it.

"Well are you pregnant or not?" He asked.

"Hold on, I haven't even taken it out of the box yet." I laughed.

"Well how long is it gonna take?" He whined.

"I just gotta pee, then we'll wait two minutes, then there'll be an answer. Just be patient." I chuckled.

"Well it's kinda hard to be patient when finding our whether or not I'm gonna be a dad!" He leaned against the door.

After I was finished, I opened the door with a smirk, "2 minutes."

He slumped to the floor as I walked passed him to the bed. I sat down on the edge of the bed, he crawled over to me and sat up, he held my hands.

"So...what if I am? like, for real..." I asked.

He grinned and held my face with his gentle hands and kissed me, "I will be the happiest, proudest, and bestest father and husband in the world."

"Bestest isn't a word. But I'm sure you will be." I smiled. I slipped my arms around him and rested my head on his shoulder.

"And you're gonna be a really great mom." He whispered in my ear.

I just smiled, worried and sick to my stomach. I remained quiet for a while, thinking long and hard about it. I picked up my wallet and took out an old and faded picture of me when I was toddler, at the apartment in Olympia. Me, a mom? This is not how I anticipated this to be. If I was, I'd be happy. If I wasn't, I'd be a little sad, but more so relieved. I took deep breaths.

"I think it's time." He whispered.

I swallowed hard and looked at the time. "You're right." I quietly said. I was nervous.

"Do you want me to come with you?" He asked, holding my hand.

I couldn't say anything, I just nodded. We both stood up and walked to the bathroom. The pregnancy test was on top of the toilet tank. I stopped before I could go any further to see the sign.

"Can you check?" I whispered.

"Of course." He stepped a little further and picked up the test. He smiled and turned around.

"We're having a baby." He grinned.

I covered my mouth, I was smiling but I also started crying. I was shocked and happy, and overwhelmed. He wrapped his arms around my slender waist. A waist that would no longer be this slim. No more modelling for a while, no more acting. I was pregnant.

He kneeled down, continuing to hold me, but now resting his head on my stomach.

"I love you so much." He whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a comment and subscribe :)