Status: Comment Please :)

The Way We Were

Football and Wedding Rehearsals

Image

In the late afternoon, after my parents were getting settled in at my in-laws home, we were all out on the lawn having drinks and laughing.

"Now, before we do the rehearsal, I thought that it'd be cool if we did some family and friend bonding. That means a healthy game of football." Nathan announced as he came from the garage carrying a football.

"Yeah, let's do it!" I grinned.

"Versace's against Followill's, and we can choose our friends." Nikolas stood up, smirking.

"Sounds fair. We're gonna put you to shame anyway." Jared laughed.

"'kay then, let's go play in between the orchard." Caleb smiled. So we all went out there, our parents stayed behind and watched us from the lawn.

My brothers, sisters and in-laws were all on my team and they nominated me as the team captain. Caleb had his brothers, sister-in-laws, and cousins on his team and he was made the captain. So far we each had eight on our teams, and we still had our friends to pick from.

I chose Lily, Behati, Jack, and Dan. Caleb chose Garrett, Jamie, Patrick, and Tyler. We all got into our teams and huddled, I never understood the rules of football, so I just told my team to win, and kill if they have to. Caleb called out some numbers and was passed the ball, we all started running as he threw the ball. Nikolas jumped up and caught it, and then began running to the other side. We trailed alongside of him before he was tackled down by Nathan.

Again we went through the same motions, Jared scored the first touchdown of the game. When I caught the ball I was protected by my defence and booked it all the way through, and just as I was about to score a touchdown, Caleb wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to the ground on top of him.

I laughed as I tried to get free from his hold but he was fooling around and kissing me.

"C'mon you two, save that for the wedding night." Tyler laughed, taking the ball from me. I got up and playfully elbowed Caleb before running off to join my team. Again Caleb caught the ball and broke from the pack, running his hardest to our side. I ran after him and catching up to him I jumped on his back, but that didn't phase him as he kept going.

They scored another touchdown, and this meant war. I got my team together and we came up with a plan. We caught the ball and Daniel ran down the field, dodging the other players, he looked to his right and saw Nikolas waiting just where he was supposed to, on the other side ready to catch that ball. Daniel threw it over the players heads and into Nik's hands. He ran his hardest and jumped across the touchdown line.

We cheered and high-fived each other going back to our side, getting ready to to score another touchdown.

"We're still gonna win!" Jared laughed.

They did. We only scored that one touchdown, they made four more.

"That's only because this isn't our kinda sport." Nik panted as we all walked over.

"Yeah, soccer right?" Jared laughed.

"No, baseball. You up for it?" I smirked.

They agreed, so we played a heated game of baseball and beat them into a withering pulp. We won the game and gloated, rubbing it in the faces of the losers.

"It's 'cause we're New Yorkers." Nikolas laughed.

"Yeah but you're losing one of your fellow Yankees, tomorrow she's gonna be a redneck." Caleb laughed, wrapping his arms around me. I noticed more and more of our guests arriving, during our competitive games, our guests were beginning to arrive.

As we were greeting all of them, Ivan suggested that we should start the rehearsal, so we asked everyone to take their places as we were about to begin. Ivan has had a lot more experience in performing weddings, so he helped out Dan when it came to organizing the ceremony.

Matt brought out a stereo for me to play the song I was gonna walk down the aisle to. I picked some wildflowers to serve as my bouquet and waited as my bridesmaids and men of honour were queued one by one. Nikki stood by my side since he was doing the honour of walking me down the aisle and giving me away.

As they each made it up to the front and took their places, I waited for Ivan's signal. He nodded for me to come forward. So in my plaid shirt, faded jeans and old sneakers, I made my way down the grassy aisle. Caleb smiled as he watched me and I smiled back giving him a wink.

Nikki and I made it to the front and waited for Dan to begin.

"Who gives this woman to this man in marriage?" Dan read from his notes.

Nikki smiled and cleared his throat, "Her mother, her late father, and I do."

"So at this moment Nikki will place Audrey's hand in Caleb's, and then Nikki you can go take a seat." Dan instructed. Nikki placed my hand in Caleb's and then proceeded to go take a seat next to my mom.

"So at this time I'd be welcoming the guests with 'we are gathered here today', and then I'd make my speech and do the reading and all that jazz, and then you two would go into your vows, then the "I Do's", ring exchange, and declaration." Dan told the both of us.

"Okay." Caleb smiled, holding my hands tightly.

"Do you Caleb, take Audrey to be your wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?" Dan spoke.

"I do." Caleb smiled.

"And do you Audrey, take Caleb to be your husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part?"

I smiled back at Caleb, "I do."

"And at this we'd do the ring exchange, so pretend you're wearing each other's rings." Dan laughed, "By the power vested in me by the State of Tennessee, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Caleb, you may kiss your bride." He smiled.

Caleb smiled at me and pulled me in for a passionate kiss, dipping me as everyone cheered and whistled.

"Family and Friends, I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Followill...or something like that." Dan chuckled, tucking his notes into his pocket.

"And that's a wrap, let's eat!" Jared laughed, coming up to us and handing us each a beer.

"Oh, no thanks, you can have it." I chuckled, waving it off.

"That's the second time you've brushed off having a drink, what're you pregnant or something?" Jared laughed.

I held my breath and didn't say anything, Caleb started to laugh, holding my hand.

Jared's jaw dropped and he covered his mouth, starting to laugh. "Holy crap, are you having a baby?" He whispered, leaning in.

"We were gonna tell everyone tomorrow. Please, don't spoil the surprise." I smiled.

"I promise, wow! I'm so happy for you! I'm gonna be an uncle!" He quietly laughed, hugging me.

"Thank you." I smiled, hugging him back.

"Wow!" He grinned, "Well c'mon, let's go...drink some lemonade or something." He laughed.

Still holding my hand, Caleb led me over to where the women in his family prepared a big meal for everyone. I sat at the table with him and I couldn't stop smiling, I leaned in and kissed him.

That evening was great, we were among the best company you could ever have, our family and friends. Great food, great...lemonade, everyone eagerly anticipating tomorrow's big day. Later on, after the sun went down and the stars were out, and everyone was laughing and singing and getting all tipsy by the bonfire, Caleb and I went for a little walk along the lake and settled down in the grass.

I laid in his arms as we both looked up at the big dark sky, filled with a blanket of twinkling and sparkling stars.

"This is exactly how I wanted my life to turn out." I smiled.

"How's that?" He asked, his fingers entwining with mine.

"Marrying my best friend and love of my life, pregnant with our child, having a home out in the country and being free to be...myself. No cameras, no media, no one following my every move. This is what I want. This is what I have; happiness." I smiled.

"I'm glad that I'm able to give this to you." He whispered, holding me close.

"I owe everything to you." I whispered back.

"First, let's just get married." He lightly laughed.

"It's a deal." I chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment and Subscribe :)