Status: Comment Please :)

The Way We Were

This One's For the Girls

"Nowadays all the married men live like bachelors and all the bachelors live like married men."
- 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'


February 14th

The next day, at about 11 in the morning, I sat out on the large patio eating a light breakfast with a Starbucks coffee while reading the newspaper. I decided that I would stay at the Chateau rather than purchasing an apartment, here I had more privacy than I could ever ask for, especially since this hotel took in almost every type of celebrity.

I was reading the Los Angeles Times, reading up on the reviews of the New York Fashion Week. The reviews were mixed, nothing I really cared about. As I turned the page, I saw two separate pictures; one of Caleb, and one of myself.

The headline read: "Rockstar and actress on the rocks. Literally."

The contents talked about our recent separation, comparing our marriage to Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries 72-day marriage, Caleb being drunk on stage, and the question: will we last?

I turned the page and read a different article. "Versace Brothers in a Brawl."

Last night only a few hours after Audrey stormed out of the club, her brother Daniel Versace stormed into the club and started a physical fight with their other brother, Nikolas. They exchanged some choice words and had actually fallen down the stairs that separated the celebrity and the nobody. Nikolas went on a verbal tirade ordering everyone to get out of the club immediately. The Versace family have taken the title of Most Dysfunctional.

I sighed and pushed away the paper and sat there and just drank my coffee. My cell phone then began to ring, so I checked the caller before answering, seeing that it was my agent.

"Hello Ari." I answered.

"Audrey, babe. Where are you? Everyone is saying you just up and left New York." He asked.

"Yeah, I did. I'm in L.A."

"But why?"

"I need a break from everyone over there. Especially my family."

"Well babe, you need to keep me updated when you go and live somewhere else. Where are you staying now?" He asked.

"Chateau Marmont."

"What are you gonna do now? Are you still going to do that Sofia Coppola film?"

I shook my head, "I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I'm not going back to acting. At least for a while. I just need some time to myself."

"Okay, well babe, take it easy alright? And stay out of trouble, the last thing we need is another Lindsey Lohan on the loose."

I just gave a laugh.

"So what's going on with you and Caleb? Is there any progress there?" He asked.

I sighed, "No, he's still not talking to me."

"Okay, I was just wondering. Well I'm in L.A too, call me if you need anything alright?"

"Okay." I half-smiled.

"Take care of yourself, love ya babe." He spoke before we both hung up.

I scrolled through my phone and then noticed today's date. February 14th. It's Valentine's day and I'm here in L.A alone. I decided that I'd just send a little text to Caleb.

"I just realized that it's Valentine's day today. So happy valentine's day. I left New York early this morning and am now staying at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood. I can't take New York anymore. I'm sorry we missed each other too."

I drank the last of my coffee and got up, taking the dishes inside and putting them in the sink. I went to brush my teeth and change since I had planned on going to pick up my California car from the garage I kept it at. I hadn't driven it in years, since I haven't lived in L.A in a long time.

After I got ready for the day, I put on my shades and asked the desk clerk at the front lobby to have a cab waiting for me our front. I walked from my private bungalow to the hotel and thanked the desk clerk before leaving.

The driver dropped me off at the garage where I was greeted by the same middle-aged man that had always ran the place, even when I first came to L.A.

"Long time no see." He chuckled, unlocking the drawer that my car keys were kept in. I smiled as I signed out the car and passed him back his pen.

"It has been awhile hasn't it?" I replied, gently taking the keys from him.

"I filled her up, so no need to worry about gas for awhile. Take it easy a'ight?" He smirked.

"Thanks." I smiled, hooking my finger in the key ring and walking over to the parking spot where my car was. I smile as I laid my eyes upon my Tiffany Blue 1973 Chevrolet Chevelle with an leather ivory interior. I unlocked the door and eased into the driver's seat and smiled giving a slight sigh.

I started it up and revved the engine, leaving the garage and heading out on my next excursion; to go to Nikolas and Edie's California home, to see Edie.

It was about a forty-five minute drive to Chatsworth where the home of the late great Sinatra was, but it was nice. I listened to synth-pop music all the way there.

I pulled into the driveway and up to the house. It was very quiet as I cut the engine and stepped out. The sound of gravel beneath my feet and the breeze going through the trees was all I heard. This was my first time being at this house. Arriving at the door I knocked at it and waited for an answer.

The door slightly opened and Edie peeked out from inside the house. She opened the door a little wider, not looking entirely happy that I was standing at her door.

"Hello." She spoke.

I gave a half-smile, "Hi Edie, can I come in?"

She thought for a moment and nodded, waving me in. I walked in and saw that the place was daintily decorated, something Edie must have done herself.

"So what brings you here?" She asked, walking to the living room and taking a seat. I followed her in and sat down.

"Edie, I left New York."

She didn't say anything.

"I understand why you left the place. It changes people, it has changed Nik in the worst way. I knew I had to get out of there before it was too late."

She closed her eyes and had a pained look on her face. "I don't know what to do anymore."

"Edie, I'm not like him. I came for you."

She was silent for a long time as she leaned back into the sofa, looking out the windows at the pool. "He used to be so gentle and so sensitive. We used to talk about the future...our future. He said we'd move to the south of France and live a simple life..." She started to cry, "He's changed. He's become this hateful, evil person. Drugs and the partying lifestyle have become the only priority in his life now...I've never been closer to anyone and I don't know him at all."

I went and sat with her, putting my arm around her as she cried.

"I'm sorry Edie. I don't know what to say anymore, I can't even get through to him." I sighed. "But you're not alone in this, my husband...I don't know what's up anymore, but we don't even talk."

She wiped her eyes and looked at me, "Why is this happening to us?"

I sighed and shook my head, "I have no idea, even Chanel and Daniel are on the rocks."

Just then there was a knock at the door. Edie made a face and stood up, "I wasn't expecting anyone." I got up too and followed her to the door. When she answered it Chanel came in looking stressed out and almost in tears.

"I hate Daniel!" She gritted her teeth, walking in with a suitcase. When Chanel saw me, she looked down. "Sorry Audrey."

"That's alright. What's wrong?" I asked.

Edie took her hand and led her to the living room. "What are you doing in L.A?"

"I had a fight with Daniel last night, and I can't believe what a creep he is!" She replied, her fists clenched.

"What happened?" I asked.

She looked down and buried her face in her hands. "I'm pregnant."

Edie and I looked at each other with surprise and our jaws dropped. Edie looked at Chanel, "You're pregnant?"

The three of us knew that Daniel was still unsure whether or not he wanted children.

"Last night as he was getting ready to go to the club, he was drinking as usual. We were getting into it because I asked him to stay with me that night, that I needed to talk to him. He said we'd talk later and he was going out regardless of what I had to tell him. I began telling him how upset I was that he started drinking again, and that we're hardly a couple anymore and he started yelling and we were in this big fight and I just blurted it out that I was pregnant. He was just as shocked as you two are. He asked how it happened and sarcastically I said "how it usually happens" and then he started going on about how he was always so careful." She started to cry, "How it happened was that he was drunk."

I let out a deep sigh of disappointment with Daniel, I held her hand and told her how sorry I was.

"I wanted a baby and now I have one. After he left I packed up my things and spent the night at my parents and left New York early this morning. With or without him, I'm raising this baby."

"You have us, Chanel." Edie put her arm around her.

"We're here for you always." I added.

"Does he know you left?" Edie asked.

Chanel shrugged her shoulders, "Probably now, I took almost all my clothes and everything else."

Chanel then looked at me, "Where's Caleb?"

I rolled my eyes, "I get asked that a lot. Phoenix maybe? I'm not sure, we've stopped talking to each other."

She nodded.

"But while we are all here, why don't we spend this day together. It's Valentine's day and no one should be alone." I half-smiled.

Edie and Chanel both smiled and agreed. "That sounds good."

I clapped my hands, "Perfect. Today, we're gonna go out and shop, have lunch or..." I checked the time, a meal afterwards. And then come back and have a glass of wine while we get ready to go out tonight-"

"I can't have wine." Chanel bit her lip.

"We'll come back and have a glass of water while we get ready to go out tonight." I laughed, "And then we'll go to the hottest clubs in L.A and dance the night away. And when we come back, we'll have a slumber party and watch chick flicks and eat chips and candy and go into a Valentine's day coma."

Edie and Chanel started to laugh, "Sounds good."

"Awesome, should we go now?" I asked, shaking my car keys.

"Sure, but I have to go to pee. Being pregnant makes me go to the bathroom like every ten minutes." Chanel chuckled.

"I'll go grab my purse." Edie got up and left the room.

"Chanel?" I spoke.

She stopped and turned around, "Yeah?"

"How far along are you?" I asked.

She then realized that it meant a lot to me. She put her hand on her stomach, "Four weeks."

I smiled and went to hug her, "I'm so happy for you."

She smiled back, "I know it's early, but I want you to be it's godmother."

I was grinning by now and I hugged her again, "I would be honoured."

"Now I gotta pee." She laughed, making me laugh as I left to go out to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please Comment
and
Subscibe