Say Anything You Want, I'll Turn the Music Up

Chapter 4: Big Time Big Mouth

Say Anything You Want, I'll Turn the Music Up ♥ James Diamond{BTR!}

Chapter 4: Big Time Big Mouth


Two weeks ago I'd struck a deal with Bitters. Until school let out for summer, I only had to work weekends-Friday after school, all day Saturday, and afternoons on Sunday. Whatever James had said to him must have been magic, because he shockingly agreed. The catch: now that it was summer I had to work all day every day until the Palm Woods pool closed; my one ultimatum was that I still could only work afternoons on Sunday or I wouldn't work at all ("You're the one who came to me for a job," Bitters had reminded me, but other than that he didn't argue).

Summer also meant the Palm Woods kids lounging around all day every day, with me doing their every bidding. That's what my job really was: someone needed a towel, I got one for them. Sunscreen? Let me put that on your shoulders and back for you. Smoothie? Coming right up. Bitters was the worst. Instead of managing the Palm Woods, as was his job, he would clear out the pool area so he had it all to himself while I waited on him hand and foot. Until, of course, James and his crew started trouble and took back the pool.

This is what I learned about James's posse: the Hispanic was Carlos Garcia, aka Carlitos, and he constantly wore his hockey helmet no matter what. The blonde was Kendall Knight (whose mom was the only one caring for all four boys), and the brunette was Logan Mitchell, the brainiac. Together, they were Big Time Rush.

The other guys were actually not so bad; Kendall was really down to earth and cool, Logan wanted to be a doctor and didn't fit in with the others at all, and the only one I could even kind of see James being best friends with was Carlos, because Carlos had a very... child-like manner that made him naive yet dumb like James. At least he was the good kind of dumb though, like he just didn't know any better. Hang out with self-absorbed stupid James long enough and I guess that's what happens. Anyway, so I was wrong about his friends, I'll be the first to admit that; although it was a shock to me that he could be so close to such considerate, selfless people. But how they could stand to put up with James is beyond me. Under all that perfect hair is... more perfect hair. Then, nothing. But air.

Today was different than my first few days at work. Because my best friend ventured into this place for famous people to come visit me on the job. But she made a huge mistake and went and opened her big mouth, because she never ever can shut up about anything. But perhaps I am getting ahead of myself.

Carlos and James were lying on towels by the pool like every other day, trying to get tans that neither of them needed, Kendall and his girlfriend—and one of my newly acquired friends and the star of one of my favorite shows New Town High—Jo Taylor were under the shaded area at a table playing cards with Logan and Camille Roberts, his ex and the second of the two friends I'd made here. Jo and Camille were the only non-airheaded actresses residing at the Palm Woods, as well as two of the only people here who didn't look down on me for "not being famous" and for "stooping so low" as to get a job around famous people to "make myself feel better about being a lowlife."

I had to wear a stupid uniform that caused the sun to beat down on me even more than it already did; the outfit was navy, so I was a magnet for absorbing heat. And it consisted of suit pants. Suit pants. And a blazer (but whenever Bitters wasn't around the blazer came off. The upside: I got my own name tag. It was gold. Except, it didn't actually say my name. It said Pool Boy, because apparently there had either been a pool boy before me, or Bitters had planned on me being male. I was betting if there was a pool boy he quit because he was tired of feeling like a slave. Either way, a gold name tag is a gold name tag). Under the blazer I had to wear white, so I usually wore a white tank. I was planning to have a long discussion with my boss about a change in attire. Someday. Maybe I could bat my eyelashes and get James to work his magic for me again...

I was walking past the side of the pool to go inside and get some towels when someone yelled, "Pool Girl!" I knew exactly who it was: the one person besides Bitters who took to using me as a personal do-my-every-bidding slave. I crossed my arms over my chest and turned around to face James Diamond.

"What?" I shot. He was just lying on that towel facing the sun with his eyes closed like a prince. Like the entire universe revolved around him.

"Bring me a strawberry banana smoothie," he said. He was always so demanding. "Please," he tacked on, opening his eyes bending his head farther to look at me towering above him, batting those thick full eyelashes.

I could have a) done it or b) flat out said no. Instead I smirked. "Why dearest James," I said in a fake saccharine-sweet voice, "that's probably not the most wise idea. Need I remind you what happened the last time I had a drink in my hand around you?"

James frowned, but Carlos opened his eyes, bent back to look at me, and cracked up. "Bro, that's her? You never told us? Oh my God!"

I turned back around, ignoring them, and went inside to get those towels from a supply closet. When I came back outside, a folded stack in my arms that reached barely below my eyes, I saw a bright red shirt, curly blonde hair, and a figure I would recognize anywhere chatting it up with Carlos and James, who were now sitting up on their towels and turned around to face her. Rain's fists were on her hips, and her back was to me; I must've been invisible behind so many white towels, exactly like a servant, because apparently Carlos didn't see me either. But James caught my eye, then smirked. I knew immediately I was the topic of conversation, and I paused to eavesdrop.

"Think you could score me a date?" Carlos was saying to Rain. I could tell he was sort of joking, yet not. "If she can pour a drink over Jamesy's head and get away with it, she is definitely awesome."

Rain laughed. She was about to say something, but then James interjected, seemingly forgetting I was listening, "You don't want to go out with her. She's evil."

Rain laughed again. "Harper? She's harmless. She just... doesn't have much experience. Her last 'boyfriend' was in, what, first grade?" I knew I should have stopped her there, but something held me in place. "Heck, I don't know how she can resist. Sometimes I question whether she even likes boys at all..."

"Rain!" I screamed, then threw the towels at her. James cracked up; Carlos and Rain were shocked, finally realizing I was there.

"Chillax, Harp, you know I was only joking." She turned to the boys. "I was only joking. I know for a fact that Harper likes boys, but still, Harp," she turned back to me, "you're like a nun or something."

My cheeks were burning. I was going to kill her. "What are you even doing here? I have to get back to work." I bent down and started to pick up the towels.

"I was just coming to see my bestie in her new habitat," Rain replied nonchalantly. "Plus, you know, when there's an opportunity to meet, hot famous guys..." she trailed off and then winked at the two BTR boys.

"I think you should go," I said. "You shouldn't be at the Palm Woods. If my boss finds out you're here and you're not famous... Just go, Rain, we'll talk later, okay?"

She looked slightly hurt, then put on her brave face. "Fine. Sorry I'm such a good friend that I didn't want you to be lonely which, apparently, pissed you off."

"Good friend? Rain, you know you're my best friend and I'd take a bullet for you, but sometimes you just don't know when to keep your freaking big mouth shut about other people. I'd really prefer to have this conversation somewhere else, but seriously, would it kill you to not talk for 5 minutes?"

I could tell I'd really hurt her. But she had embarrassed me by telling two boys what no guys were supposed to know about me unless I told them myself.

"I was just leaving anyway," Rain said, and without a backward glance, she stormed out of the Palm Woods.