Status: Completed!

When I'm With You, I'm at Home

I'm not the one who sings her to sleep.

Ashtons POV-

Brian took me outside. We stood under the strings of twinkling lights.

"Ashton," Brian whispered, pulling me to his side. He looked down at me, and smiled crookedly. "I need to ask you something."

"Alright."

Brian placed his hand in his pocket and pulled out a tiny box. "Ashton, will you marry me?"

My heart felt as if it had stopped. I couldn't believe he was asking me to marry him. I stared at him, and then at the sparkling ring. "What?" I gasped.

"Marry me." Brian repeated. "Yes?" He lifted his eyebrows, anticipating my answer, his dark, cloudy eyes gazing down at me.

How could I say no? No wasn't even an option with him. I gulped and finally opened my mouth, "Yes." I muttered, shakily.

Brian yanked my body against his, and leaned down attacking my lips.

This moment should be the happiest moment of my life.

But it wasn't.

It wasn't even close.

•••

I felt almost numb, while Brian and I walked back in to the hall. My mother glanced over at us, calling us over to her, and my father. Brian had a smug grin playing in his lips, as we approached my parents.

"How is everything?" My mom asked.

"Why don't you tell them, Ashton?" Brian encouraged.

I took a deep breath, and then started, "Well, Brian and I are uh, engaged" I informed my parents.

Their faces lit up. My mom hopped up and down, clapping her hand, excitedly. "Oh, I've been waiting for this since the day you were born." My mom took a breath, and then turned towards all the people scattered about, "Everyone, Ashton and Brian have an announcement."

Everyone stopped, and turned towards us. All their eyes burned into my skin. "Brian and I are" I paused glancing at the floor. "Engaged."

Everyone cheered, and began to clap. My mom pulled me in to her arms, squeezing me tightly.

As she hugged me, I looked past everything, and saw John. He was alone, away from everyone. His expression was hard to read, because he just looked so blank. His eyes locked with mine, and all I could see was hurt.

I lightly tapped my moms back, still focusing on John. After several seconds passed, John shook his head, and slammed his glass down on the table.

My heart was breaking.

John hated me.

I let go of my mom, and started over to him, but Brian grabbed my arm, and yanked me to his side. "Where do you think you're going?" He whispered.

"Let's get a picture of the happy couple." My mom smiled, holding her camera. Brian pulled me close to him, wrapping his arms around my waist. I forced out a happy face, as the camera flashed.

"You guys are so cute." My mom gushed. While she waved her hands in front of her face, "I'm not going to cry. I'm not."

I stepped away from Brian, and hugged my mom. "Mom, don't cry." I pleaded, to her.

"I'll try not to." She replied. "Let me get another picture of the happy couple!"

Brian leaned down, and kissed me on the lips, while he gripped my waist tightly. The room was filled with, awe’s, while he kissed me. My mom snapped a picture of the kiss. When I pulled away from Brian, I quickly looked around to find John. He was shaking his head, in disgust. The next thing I knew, John was storming out of the room, out the patio doors.

I had to get out of here, and talk to John. I wiggled away from Brian, and said, "I need to fix my makeup. I'll be back."

I sneaked away, and glanced back at Brian; he wasn’t paying attention to me, so I slid the patio door open, and ran outside. I looked around, finding John leaning against the patio railing.

"John." I breathed, walking to his side.

He didn't look at me; he just kept his eyes locked on the ground. I placed my hand on his back, leaning towards him, "I'm sorry."

"You're going to marry him." He choked out, finally peeking over at me. "How?"

"I don't know." I confessed. "I just feel like… I have to."

"You don't." John shouted. "You shouldn't be with him."

I stepped back, and rubbed my temples.

"Don't expect me to be happy for you, because I won’t ever be." John hissed.

"I wouldn't expect you to be." I mumbled, feeling the tears slip down my cheeks.

John placed his hands on my shoulders, and looked me in the eyes. "Ashton, you know I love you..." He began. "I thought you loved me to."

"John, why do you always have to do this?"

"Why would you marry him?"

"I have to."

"You don't." John pulled me towards him, holding me in his arms.

"It's complicated." I choked out through my tears. "Can you just pretend to be happy?" I asked him.

He shook his head, no, and leaned down kissing my damp cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, you can hate me.

Thank you to my AMAZING commenters:

becauseiamfree

amandabenton22

smoke-and-fire


And THANK YOU, for sticking around even though my updates have been less frequent. You alll are amazing! Thanks for reading! :)