Status: Completed!

When I'm With You, I'm at Home

I remember every night we spent on weekends, with good friends.

Ashton’s POV-

I woke late in the day. And as I walked down the stairs, I knew my mom was going to complain about me sleeping in. I rubbed my eyes, while leaping off the last step. I turned the corner, entering the kitchen.

"Morning, mom."

"More like afternoon." She proclaimed, setting her coffee down.

"This my vacation. I should be allowed to sleep in, if I want." I stated. I grabbed a mug off the rack, and poured in some steaming hot Coffee.

"Why don't you go out with John?" My mom asked. "And the other guys. You haven't seen them in a while."

"Yeah, that would be fun."

"Want me to call John, for you?"

I shook my head. "No, mom. I can handle it."

"Okay," She smiled, standing up, and walking to the sink. "And you should go outside. You could use some sun."

I rolled my eyes, while I pulled out my phone. I scrolled through my contact list, stopping when I saw Brian’s name. My breath caught, as I stared down at his name. I haven't called him since I've been here. He's probably really angry with me. I sighed, and skipped over his name. I didn’t want to deal with him, not right now.

I got to Johns name, and hit send. I patiently waited for him to answer, but he never did. I put my phone away, and decided to just go next-door. I knocked on the door, and he answered. His hair was disheveled, dark bags under his eye, and he just had jeans on.

"I knew it was going to be you." He mumbled, slightly smiling.

"Did I wake you up?"

He nodded. "Yeah."

"Sorry."

"Don't worry about it. Come in." He opened the door wider, and I stepped inside. "So what brought you over here?"

"I wanted to hang out with the guys... And you."

"They have been asking when they could see you. I'll text them, and tell them to come over."

•••

"Oh my gosh, who are these guys?" I shouted, as the guys all shuffled into Johns house. "Seriously, unrecognizable. Well, except for Pat."

"I look different, I think." Pat said, tucking some hair behind his ear.

“Pat, you look exactly the same. Well, maybe handsomer.” I said, as I hugged him. “I missed you guys, a lot.”

“We’ve missed you to.” Kennedy spoke up.

“Yeah, we are glad you’re back.” Garrett

"Oh man, nice facial hair, Gare." I laughed, pulling him into a hug.

"Everyone hates it." He muttered.

"Nah, I like it."

We caught up a bit. I got filled in the bands progress, and what not.

“We have band practice tonight, because we have a show coming up on Friday.” John told me, trying to hide his proud smile.

“Really, that’s awesome.” I exclaimed.

“You are going to come, right?” Jared asked me.

“Yeah, of course. I haven’t seen you guys play in years.” I stressed. “I’m warning you, I may cry.”

"Oh god." John laughed.

"Can I cone to practice?" I asked.

"No." John said. "You have to wait until the show Friday. It's a surprise."

I sighed. "Ugh, okay."

•••

I drove downtown, to the venue. John said, I could go with him, but I decided against it. When I arrived, there was forty-five minutes until show time.

I’ve been back stage before, for Brian's band. But I still felt pretty special to have a backstage pass. I walked around, trying to find one of the guys.

“Hey, Ash." Kennedy called. He came over to me, with a girl with long, dark blonde hair "This is my girlfriend, Cara.” Kennedy introduced.

“Hi, I’m Ashton.” I said, shaking her hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“You to! I’ve heard a lot about you, from John.” She said.

“Oh really.” I laughed, peeking over a John, who was oblivious to the world around him. He was sitting on a large box, leaned up against the wall. He had a red party cup in his left hand, and was looking down at it. “I hope nothing bad.”

“No, all lovely things.”

“That’s good.” I laughed.

“I think you and Cara will get along really well.” Kennedy said to me, with a smile.

“Oh, I’m sure. I don’t have any girlfriends here, anymore. So it would be cool.”

“We can go shopping, or something, soon.” Cara suggested. “Girl time.”

“Sounds like a plan.” I said. “Well, I have to go help John, with something. I’ll see you guys a little later.”

“Okay, bye.” They said, as I started to walk away.

“Hey, John.” I greeted.

He looked up from his cup and smiled. “What’s going?”

I shook my head. “Nothing. Just wanted to talk to you.” I pulled myself up on the box, next to him. “So, I hear you talk about me, a lot.”

“What?” He said, acting like he was confused.

“Cara said you talk about me. She said its all good things.”

“Well, yeah. I do, I guess.” He blushed. “Do you ever talk about me?”

I sat there, not wanting to lie to him. I didn’t talk about him, ever. I did when I first moved to California. I told Carson a little about him. But once Brian came into the picture, I had to forget about him.

John started to shake his head, up and down. “Oh.” He mumbled. “I see.”

“John, its just-“ I started.

“You don’t have to explain. Its fine.” He interrupted, and then he downed what ever was left in his red cup. “Lets just forget about it.”

I sighed, and pushed my blonde hair back. “Are you excited to play?”

“Yeah, hometown shows are always one of my favorites.” He nodded. “I’m glad you could be here, for one.”

“Me to.” I added. “Play some old songs, for me, so I can sing along.”

•••

Cara and I stood upstairs, on the balcony over looking the stage, from the side. The lights on the crowd went down, and the stage glowed red. As the band took the stage, the crowd, Cara, and I all started to cheer.

Their set was getting close to being over. John was talking to the crowd, before playing the next song. "Uh, this song we are going to dedicate to an old friend of ours." John said, into the microphone. "She's up there. Stop hiding Ashton." He laughed, while he pointed at me. I covered my face with my hands, and turned away. "This ones for Ashton."

Cara laughed at how red my cheeks were turning, as I watched him sing. He gripped the microphone with both hand, standing crookedly, as he tips his head to one side. His eyes close as he begins to sing the lyrics to the chorus.

His eyes open, and he struts around the stage, a bit.

He gazed up at me, and smiled wildly. He held on to the microphone stand, and held the mic in the other hand. He kept his eyes on me, as he sang the rest of the song. I leaned against the cold metal bar of the balcony, forgetting the crowd below me, my life in California, and just focused in on John. I could of floated there, staring at those green eyes, for days. Suddenly, Cara nudged my arm. I switched back to reality, and glanced at her. A smug smile played on her lips.

"What?" I asked innocently.

She rolled her eyes at me. "Oh, come. Don't act like you don't know."

"Know what?"

"You totally love John." She exclaimed.

"What," I gasped. "I don't love him... Well, I do, but one of my friends, kind of love."

"Please, you have a thing for him. You can't even hide it."

I shook my head at her, before turning my attention back to the stage. John had his eyes closed, once again. Singing, as he brushed his hair back. The stage lights shining down on him, lighting his skin up.

.

"This will be our last song." John announced, and the crowd whined with no's "Until next time." He smiled, taking a sip from his beer bottle.

Pat kicked in with the drums, playing the beginning of Don’t Give Up On 'Us'.

Cara and I stayed, and watched half of the song. And then we decide to head downstairs, to get backstage. When we finally made our way through the crowd, to get backstage, they were finished playing. Pat was still on stage, tossing drumsticks, and set lists into the crowd.

"You guys were so great." I exclaimed, walking over to the guys.

"Thanks, Ash." Jared said, grabbing a water bottle.

Cara ran over to Kennedy, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

John walked over to me. "So, did you have fun?" He asked, pulling me against his chest.

"Yes. And you were incredible.... But a little sweaty, now." I mumbled, stepping back from though.

"Sorry, that’s part of the job." He laughed, pushing his damp hair back with his hand. "I'm going to change, before heading out to meet the fans. Want to chill after?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh man, I am so sorry this took so long! I didn't know what to write to bridge whats going to happen next. But I now have it all figured out! Thank you for sticking with me!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pre-subscribe to my new John fic! Well, its a sad story :( But It will be good I promise! Stay Away, Sweet Misery. Im excited for that one! :)

Thank you to my commenters:

smoke-and-fire

Becauseiamfree


Thanks for reading!