Our Rebel Love Song

Him

The new kids ended up at our table with us. I know. It was a big surprise to me, too. Jinxx, Jake, and CC were all brothers. We also could quickly tell that they all had distinct personalities. Jinxx was more conserved and quiet. On the other hand, Jake and CC were just really loud and crazy. Particularly CC. He was all over the place, cracking jokes when he could, really easy to warm up to. They almost made me forget about him.
“So, is this place fun? Are there friendly people here?” Jinxx asked. Dylan and I laughed.
“Yeah! People will warm up right to you if you guys didn’t look like you do right now.” Dylan informed them. “These people really suck. They’re just a big group of bullies and I have a feeling that their next target is you guys.” Jinxx looked very uncomfortable along with the other two.
“Well they better not come near me because I will beat the shit out of anyone who touches us. Especially Jinxx. He already has a girlfriend to protect.” How the hell does he already have a girlfriend?
“Her name’s Sammi Doll. It’s a long distance relationship now.” It’s like he read my mind.
“Oh.” CC stood up and flexed his muscles.
“But I am completely available.” He yelled, making sure everyone heard. We all laughed, but everyone just looked mad. As if interrupting their lunchtime was the worst thing that someone could ever do to them. Tough crowd.
“Good! Stay that way!” A girl yelled.
“I know that you want me!” CC yelled back. Then someone threw a sandwich at him so we couldn’t help but laugh.
*****
It was now the end of the school day, thankfully. The best part was that it was Friday, so I didn’t have to go to school for at least another two more days. I guess the new guys lived nearby because they decided to walk home with us.
“You guys seem really cool, you know?” Jinxx said.
“Thanks. We don’t get that often.” I said.
“Really? You guys are the kind of people that we wish we had as friends at our other school.”
“People really don’t like that we’re different and all.” Dylan told him. I looked down at the sidewalk, as we all walked along, thinking. All I could think about was whether or not they could see if I was upset. I was hoping that it wasn’t showing. The last thing that I want to explain is my heartache over Ash, or that I’m gay, to a group of new kids.
“Something wrong?” Dylan asked me.
“Yeah. Just a little upset, that’s all.” I didn’t look back up. Suddenly everyone stopped walking and they all went silent.
“Um...” Dylan said.
“What?” I looked up and saw him.