Sequel: 'Cause I've Got You
Status: completed!!! sequel on the way...

Walk in the Sun

Chapter 7

Ever since I got back home, I would find myself walking around my house in a haze from time to time. My mom thought I was going crazy or something. Carmel called her and told her all about Sid, so she would be “prepared” for my over-happiness when I got home. She was prepared, and for a little while she supported it. It didn't take long for her to try giving me a "reality check", though. She would tell me that she couldn't see it lasting between Sid and I because he was a hockey player, and travelled a lot. I tuned it out as much as I could. I was in my own little world until school started, waiting for a call and text from Sid.

I was dancing along to “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston while getting my school stuff organized, when my mom knocked on my door.

“It’s open.” I turned my music down a little bit as my mom walked in with a smile on her face.

“Do you have everything you need for school tomorrow?”

I nodded.

“I think so. All that I have left to do is find something to wear.”

My mom nodded slowly. It was then that I noticed that she had her hands behind her back. She was up to something. I raised something.

“What are you hiding behind your back?”

My mom shrugged her shoulder and brought out the bag that was in her hands in front of her and handed it to me.

“I thought maybe you could wear this.”

I looked in the bag and pulled out what was inside. My jaw dropped and I looked back up at my mom.

“Mom! This must have cost you a fortune!”

She shook her head.

“What makes you think I bought it?”

My brows furrowed for a minute and then my eyes widened again.

“No… you mean….. Sid?”

She smirked and shrugged her shoulders as she backed out of my room.

I couldn’t stop staring at the item of clothing that I laid out on my bed. My eyes locked on one detail.

CROSBY

Looking at the jersey brings me back to Halifax, and the many moments we shared. I noticed that there was an envelope sticking out of the bag. I was anxious to open it, but scared all the same. I didn’t get through the first one without completely breaking down. Happy tears, of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Flashback*

I was sitting on the train and listening to music while looking through the many, many pictures that I took on my amazing, life-changing summer. I got to my favourite picture of Sid and I. His mom took it at one of the few times we went over there for a barbecue. I was sitting on a bench in their backyard and Sid was laying down with his head in lap. We were just smiling at each other and I was running my hand through his hair. I didn’t even know at the time that his mom was taking the picture, but I loved it.

Putting my camera down for a second, my eyes landed on the envelope that was sticking out of my purse. I was on the train, so technically I could read it whenever. I grabbed the envelope and tore it open.


You didn’t think I’d let you go that easily, did you?

Sid

I was puzzled. I didn’t know what he meant by that. I just stared at the little piece of paper for a few minutes, trying to make sense of it. I grabbed the envelope and checked to see if I missed a part of the letter. Sure enough, there was a smaller envelope that I didn’t grab. I didn’t tear this one open as fast, seeing as it was smaller and I didn’t want to rip what was inside. When I saw the contents, my jaw dropped. I pulled out my phone and immediately text Sid.


‘Are these real?’

It didn’t take him long to respond.


‘ Took you long enough. Haha. Yes, they are. You think I’d let you get all excited over a fake plane ticket?’

My heart melted and I could feel the happiest tears drift down my cheeks.


‘You do know that I’m crying right now, right?’


‘Well, I hope they’re happy tears. I can’t wait to see you in 2 months.’

I smiled at his reply.


‘Of course they are! I can’t wait to see you either.’


‘:) Now, get some sleep, beautiful. I’ll call you tomorrow.’

The tears continued to flow and the smile was taking permanent placement on my face, but I knew that sleep would be coming on quickly. It was a long train ride back home.


‘Okay. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.’

I put my phone down in my lap and picked up my camera again. I wasn’t overly tired yet, so looking a few pictures couldn’t hurt. I had a lot to go through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was startled awake by the announcement that the train had stopped in Brantford. My mp3 player must have died since the last time the train stopped because I couldn’t hear anything over my music before.

Gathering all of my things, I took a quick glance at my phone. I had one text message. It was from Sid.


‘ I love you.’

*End Flashback*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I smiled at the memory as I looked over at my calendar. I had the numbered the days until I got to see Sid again. That was another thing that I still hadn’t talked to my mom about.

I shrugged off those thoughts while I jumped on my bed and tore open the envelope that came with the jersey.

I tried to give you a more subtle clue.
But this tells you what you’ll be doing
when we see each other.

Love, Sid

P.S. Sorry these letters aren’t that romantic,
You know me and my wonderful way with words Haha.


I let out a chuckle while reading the last line of the letter. It brought me back to his birthday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Flashback*

Sid and I were over at his parent’s place for a family birthday dinner. I felt a little awkward being there, seeing as I wasn’t officially his girlfriend or anything, but the last time I was there, Taylor, Sid’s little sister asked me to come to the dinner. I couldn’t say no to the puppy dog face she gave me. I was just happy that Sid and still hung out, let alone talked to each other, so I couldn’t disappoint Taylor.

We were sitting around the table on the back deck and Sid’s parents, began to bring up stories about Sid’s childhood. Sid had told me a lot about growing up himself, but I was intrigued to hear the stories from their point of view.

Trina, Sid’s mom, brought up a story about when Sid had a crush on a girl in grade 5.

“It was the cutest thing. He came home and told Trina and I that he was going to marry her. So I asked him how he was going to ask her. He looked up at me and said ‘Dad, what are you talking about? I’m just gonna marry her.’ I told him, ‘Sid, you gotta ask a girl to marry you. She might not want to marry you.’ His face fell a little bit, and I thought that I had broken his little heart. Then he quickly snapped his head up at me and said, ‘I know! I’ll make her a card.’ I looked down at him and asked him what he was to write in the card. He said, ‘what do you think? “Dear Martha, I’m going to marry you. From Sidney.”’ I smiled at him, but as soon as he walked away, I don’t think I laughed so hard.”

I laughed along with Trina, then looked over at Sid, who had a sour look on his face. I leaned over and whispered to him.

“Don’t worry, whatever you write to me, I’ll love it. Now, wipe that sour look off your face, it’s your birthday.”

He finally cracked a small smile and put his arm around my shoulder. We spent the rest of the day talking and laughing with his family.

*End Flashback*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The memory must have taken me out of reality for a moment, seeing as I didn’t notice my mom come back into my room.

“So, who was the shirt from?”

I smiled.

“It was a jersey, and it was from Sid. I don't think I'm going to wear it tomorrow. I'll find something else.”

My mom smiled then softly sighed.

“Stephers, do you really see this lasting? You and Sidney? I mean, he is a hockey player.”

I gave my mom a small smile.

“Yeah mom, I do. I mean, I love him.”

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, I think it’s a little too early to talk about love. You two only had two months together and who knows when you’ll be able to see each other again.”

I sighed and went over to my bedside table. I pulled out an envelope and handed it to my mom. She opened it and her mouth dropped.

“How did you get this? Oh Stephanie, don’t tell me you spent some of your college money on this.”

I shook my head.

“No, I didn’t. Remember I told you that Sid gave me a note and told me to read it when I got on the plane?”

She nodded. I walked up to her and pulled out the little piece of paper that she didn’t pull out. She read it and her eyes widened. She looked at me with a shocked expression.

“Well, when do you think you were going to go?”

I shrugged my shoulders.

“Well, I was hoping to go on the date that’s on the ticket. I know it’s during the school year, but it’s a Friday night flight and I would come back on the Sunday afternoon. ”

She stood in my room and pondered on the thought of me going to Pittsburgh. If she didn’t want me to go, as much as I loved Sid, I wouldn’t go. I still lived under my mother’s roof, so I still had to obey her rules. Finally, she turned to me.

“One condition. He gets another ticket and you take a friend. I don’t want you going alone.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is!! I'm proud of myself. I managed to finish this chapter in just over an hour!!
After writing the last one, I knew that I couldn't just leave you guys hanging like that, wondering what was in the envelope. I hope that it's not too corny.

Feedback is always welcome. =)