Teenagers

Church is for Men, I Guess

When my eyes finally opened, I felt stiff, as if I had been asleep for a while. The clock said 5, but by the light coming in through the window, I knew it didn't mean 5 am. Puzzled, I stood from my bed, and exited my room, looking for someone, anyone.

"Mornin, Sleeping Beauty!" It was Chris in the kitchen who said this, and he winked at me. Then I knew. I had missed the entire day because of him. It was Saturday, so it didn't matter much, but he still stole my freedom with those stupid pills. He had done it once before. A long time ago, and I didn't know it. I was confused for so long. Now, though, I just avoided his stare, and when my mom entered the kitchen, she felt my forehead and said she hoped I felt better. I told her I was fine, but she just thought I was being "modest."

I tried to avoid her at all costs. I knew that if she had walked into my room last night, she would have convinced herself that it was only a dream. I'd never bring it up again, because she'd tell me I need to quit accusing my "Father" of these things.

Since she thought I wasn't feedling well, I told them I was going back to bed. When she informed me that we were going to church the next morning, I cringed, but only nodded as I left, creeping through the hallway's shadows into my safe, solitary room.
It was a small white church, a beautiful church that should have been somewhere more public, but no, it sat in the middle of our isolated neighborhood. There were only about 25 people here, and I was the only teenager. Small children were walking around, collecting change for children's church. No one could resist giving them a little quarter because of their precious smiles.

It was our first time there, and the music was beautiful. The two men that sang... I could have fallen in love right then and there. So I was liking it until the preacher spoke. We'll narrow his message down to this: Men dominate over women. I may not be Christian, but I don't think that's what the Bible is all about.

We left immediately after the service, while Mom mumbled inappropriate words under her breath. I stared out the window as we drove home, and noticed someone new was moving in, just down the street. I could see two small children, and one girl who looked about 15 years old. She had long blond hair that fell to the middle of her back. She looked strong, athletic, and she was skinny, but a natural skinny, unlike me. I could see her eyes from here, reminding me of almonds sparkling in the sunlight. She was beautiful.

When she looked up at me, I blushed and turned away, blasting music into my ears through my headphones. Escape the Fate sung about their Gorgeous Nightmare, while for the first time in a long time, I was a little excited for school. Maybe she'd be there. Knowing it was crazy but also not caring, I wished I could be the first to welcome her, warn her about certain people, and tell her who the good teachers are. She'd turn into one of those snobby girls if she wasn't careful. Something inside of me panged at this thought, and I shoved it, and her, away immediately, knowing she was probably already like that anyway. No need to get your hopes up, told myself, though I couldn't get her off my mind.