Teenagers

Somehow...

I knew she needed to get back to class but I couldn't tell her to go. We had only about ten minutes before the next bell would ring, and we'd have to leave for 7th period.

"Please take my jacket. Your sleeve is bloody."

Almost smiling, I accepted her offer. "So," I said, "I am truly the only person you've talked to today? "

"Yes. I said hi to two boys earlier. One nodded, and the other just stared at Ms like I was a freak. So, thank you."

"No problem. I wouldn't want you getting stuck with the wrong people. "

She giggled a little. "I'm already messed up."

"But you're not like them."

Shaking her head, she sighed. "Let's leave."

"Excuse me? "

"You can drive right? Let's go. I don't want to go to seventh period."

I stared at her. "Well we can't just leave."

"Sure we can," she argued with a smirk. "Don't you know those rules are just there to be broken. They're options for boring people." She stood, extending her arm toward me." Grasping her hand in mine, I stood to my feet.

Somehow, we made it out to my old truck.
When she said my truck was cute, I realized that I still hadn't figured out her name.

"Amaya Delilah Johnson."

Smiling, I complimented, "pretty."

"Thank you." Rolling down the passenger window as I drove from the school parking lot, she pulled out a pack of Marlboro Reds from her jacket pocket. "You don't mind, do you?"

"Of course not. Just try to blow the smoke out the window, okay? "

She nodded and obeyed the request, turning the radio up and singing along joyously.

"Where do you want go? " I asked curiously.

"How about my house? "

Pause. "Won't your parents be mad?"

"Of course not. I live with my dad, and he really doesn't care. He probably won't be home anyway, but if he is, I'll try to keep Val and Cal off our backs."

"Younger siblings? "

"Yes, and I love them to death." I remembered seeing the three of them in their front yard, and understood what she meant. I could almost see her love for them.

"Sounds like a nice family."

At this, she only nodded.

When we got to her house, it was completely empty.