Teenagers

Sing to Me

Can't say I'm surprised. What else should I have expected? It did upset me, though, as I stared at the empty spot in the Saxophone section thinking of those two down there alone...

Knowing there was one more thing I didn't want to have to deal with that day, I texted my mom and told her I was spending the night with Amaya. Carlos and I devised a plan, and if it worked, it would be pretty funny.

Mom texted me back the okay, and Mr L dismissed us with a stupid speech...but we still had to go to the band room to put our instruments away. Carlos stuck by me, like my little protector, until we entered the band room. From there, I stood by his locker while he took apart his sax, and then he stood by mine while i put my clarinet in its case. Teasing, he stole the mouthpiece, reed still on, and was about to put his mouth on it. I squealed, snatching it from him instantly. He giggled and I proceeded to shove my Case into the small locker.

We each sat in our seats, and I realized Amaya and Kyle had decided to show their faces. His eyes were red and her hair was a little messy. I was tempted to laugh and cry at the same time. Ignoring them, I turned my attention to Mr. L on the podium in the front of the room.

"Great playing tonight, guys. I'm tired. I know you are too, so go home."

It was odd for him to just immediately tell us to go, and everyone cheered. Amaya and Kyle glanced at each other, smiling. He grabbed her hand and they stood. I was walking towards Carlos when she ran into me.

"Seriously, Amaya?" I said it even though I knew she wouldn't be the one to answer.

"Why'd you leave, Adira? Carlos your new boyfriend?"

He entered the conversation then. "No, and even if I was, that's be none of your business, would it?"

I suddenly realized that I had no clue who would win if they fought. "Oh, God."

"Who are you to say what is and isn't my business," Kyle snapped at Carlos.

My best friend was so silly. "Carlos Arroyo, thank you very much." He looked angry, though.

"Thanks." Heavy sarcasm, and i knew what was coming. Shit, i thought as his punch almost hit me but smacked Carlos right in the jaw. He was quick to defend himself, sending one straight to Kyle's gut and in a moment, it was too much. I looked at Amaya, who was staring into space. Groaning, I saw John walking toward us. He was a big guy. Not as tall as Carlos, who was 6'5, but he was big and round. He was the band captain, and he shoved his way between Carlos and Kyle. They glared at each other silently, and I held on to Carlos, keeping him at a safe distance.

"What is this all about?" Kyle nodded at me. "Oh? You two are fighting over a girl?"

"It's not like that," said Kyle, breaking through John's grasp and walking towards me. He grabbed me by the shoulders, pulling me with his hand over my mouth. I couldn't find my voice anyway. I saw that John was holding Carlos back as I looked back in fear. He had me in front of the band students, who were scrambled around the room at random, hardly paying any attention. "Excuse me, everyone." Now they were paying attention.

"Hey Kyle."

He smiled and then proceeded his evil-doing. He pulled my long sleeved shirt off painfully and so sudden that I screamed. Luckily, I had a tank top on underneath. Immediately, I tried to cover my arms up, but I couldn't. I heard gasps, and everything went foggy. Who was who? And who was saying what? I could only hear Kyle say, "She's anorexic, too. Think we should kick her out of band?"

I felt dizzy, and fought my way through the crowd. I couldn't handle it. When I felt the night's cool air on my skin, the dizziness cleared a little and I no longer felt claustrophobic, but I kept running. I ran to where no one would find me. Except Carlos, if he even cared.

I was an idiot. I'd blame Amaya, but I never should have exposed myself to her. The first urge was revenge, but I pushed that away, focusing on my surroundings: a small door that led into a tiny little closet where we had shown each other our voices. He had a beautiful singing voice. That's all I wanted then. I wanted him to sing to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments, even critique, are needed :)