Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 1

“I’ve got to thank you so so much!” squealed my best friend Annabelle. She had just emerged from my bathroom, and had her red hair haphazardly tied up in a messy bun. Outside the sky was velvety black and we were still buzzing with the few drinks we had ingested. Annabelle bounced on the balls of her feet and fell back onto my queen size bed, her arms and legs spread out.

“You don’t have to thank me!” I giggled, brushing my hair as I examined my reflection.

“If Frank wasn’t your cousin, then I would never have met his good friend Mikey, and I would not have just started going out with the cutest, sweetest, loveliest boy in New Jersey,” she squealed again.

“Shh you’ll wake my mum!” I laughed,

“You need a boyfriend now!” she joked and I shook my head.

“I haven’t met anyone who’s made me go wow like Mikey has you,” I said softly, lying next to her on the bed.

“You will,” she said, squeezing my arm, “what do you think of Ray and Matt?”

I made a face at her,

“Fair enough, but Mikey says he has an older brother we haven’t met, and he’s at college,”
“Maybe,” I murmured, not seriously, starting to drift off to sleep.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Mikey and Annabelle were the most intolerably cute couple I had ever seen. It was clear that he was absolutely devoted to her. Every time he saw her, his face lit up like a Christmas tree; everything she did he advocated, he worshipped everything she touched, everything she liked.

“Kinda makes you wish you had someone, doesn’t it,” commented Frank, my cousin and closest confidante as we watched Mikey and Elise dance closely at the party we were at.

“I don’t need someone when I’ve got you Frankie,” I commented, and he grinned at me.

“You don’t have me for much closer cuz,” he said, spying an attractive blonde prancing in front of his line of vision, “have mercy,”
“Go get laid,” I joked, pushing him up off of the sofa. And so he did.

I studied the walls and the drunken people jumping up and down around me. My only company on the couch was now a passed out guy who seemed to have mislaid his shirt. Everyone I had come with had now hooked up with someone. I tried not to feel alone and stared resolutely at my feet.

“Hey, are you alright here all by yourself?” asked a male voice, perching on the arm of the couch.

I squinted up at him; the alcohol I had ingested clouded my vision. Once I established that he’d do, I responded, “I could do with a bit of company,”

I could have done. Frank had no problem finding himself a cute girl to kiss, and Annabelle and Mikey were so into each other that they could hardly see straight. The truth was that I felt uncomfortably alone, and I knew that I was destined to feel that way for some time. I allowed my eyes to travel over to the guy who had sat next to me on the couch. I recognised him loosely from school…he was in my math class…wasn’t he?

Oh well. He tumbled drunkenly onto me, and soon enough our lips met and we started to make out, knowing that it was love for one night and that was all.