Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 14

The raucous noise from inside the house seemed to be getting louder and more oppressive by the minute. I sighed and checked my watch, 1145. 15 minutes until the start of a new and exciting year.

I could feel that my tipsiness was starting to wear off, so I set my wine glass down and just enjoyed the sight of the perfect sky stretching far ahead of me in its infinite mysterious beauty.

“Aren’t you cold?” said a voice, so close that it obliterated the sound of Frank’s drunken squealing. I felt myself jump, and I turned instinctively, to see Gerard standing there. His head was now inclined skywards. Far from being relieved at his presence, my heart race rapidly quickened, and my hand started to shake.

“I guess I don’t really feel the cold right now,” I said, still gazing at the sky above,

He sat down next to me, and our sides were touching. I could feel the warmth from his body flow slightly into mine and I sighed.

“It is so beautiful out here,” observed Gerard, and I just nodded. “The stars,” he added unnecessarily, and I could feel his eyes swivel onto me.

‘If this was a movie he’d turn around and say ‘it’s not as beautiful as you’’ I grumbled to myself in thought.
Instead of any cheesy flattery, we just sat and watched the sky for what felt longer than just 10 minutes.

“Hey!” exclaimed Gerard suddenly, looking at his watch, “its nearly midnight! Don’t you want to go and see the New Year in?”

I nodded, even though I didn’t think I cared much about the new year, and followed him inside, tripping slightly over my feet and relishing the fact that his hand was closed around my wrist.

The others had managed to get Time Square up on the television screen, where scores of people were starting to shout out “10! 9! 8! 7!”

Everyone in the room, merry and raucous with the consumption of alcohol, joined in, “6! 5! 4!”

My mind fleetingly flashed back to what Annabelle had said to me earlier…Mikey had his arm around her and they were looking only into each other’s eyes as they called out the descending numbers. At that very moment, I would have given anything for a sign from Annabelle to know what to do…

“3!” Gerard was grinning. He had such a beautiful smile.

“2!” everyone seemed to have split off into units; Mikey and Annabelle were one, and then Frank, Ray and Matt were standing together. It was almost like…

“1!”

“Happy new year!” we all yelled in unison, and Mikey and Annabelle kissed passionately without hesitation.

Frank kissed Ray on the cheek, which made me want to giggle, but I couldn’t because Gerard had just said, “why not?”

He held his arms open in a non-committal way and I pasted a grin onto my apprehensive face, preparing myself in vain for what was potentially about to happen.

He crashed his lips against mine, politely keeping a hand on my shoulder. It only lasted 2 or 3 seconds, but they were undoubtedly the 2 or 3 most thrilling seconds of my life.

My stomach flipped about 50 times and I felt so high that I was unsure if I would ever recover. Maybe this year was going to be a good one after all…