Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 22

One week on, and I still couldn’t help but grin like an idiot when I thought of Gerard kissing my cheek. Annabelle had gone on for hours and hours about how it was a clear cut sign of his alleged ‘feelings’ for me.

I didn’t even worry about that though. On that bleak Saturday night when the rain was too heavy to go out, all that mattered was that he made adrenaline course through my veins and a soppy smile spring to my face without even being in the room.

I rolled over happily on my bed, feeling like nothing could ever go wrong. I didn’t even want to consider what his feelings may be, I wasn’t going to let anything kill my high.

It wasn’t even boring lying there alone, staring at the ceiling. Thoughts of Gerard played across my mind like a pleasant slideshow that gave me butterflies. The rain pounding on the windows was soothing to me, and the only thing wrong with my state of absolute content was a slight tickle at the back of my throat.

I decided to saunter downstairs and fetch myself a glass of water, so I practically skipped down the richly carpeted stairs.

“Hey mum,” I called to my mother, who was sitting watching law and order re runs on the television.

“Hey Con,” she replied with a smile, “what are you so happy about?”
I tried to stop grinning and shrugged, “nothing,” I said, “it’s just a beautiful day!”

She cast an eye out of the living room window to the impenetrable rain and dark evening.

“Not what I’d call beautiful,” she said sceptically,

“There’s beauty in everything,” I replied simply, before resuming my jaunt to the kitchen. I began pouring myself a glass of water, when I allowed my gaze to slip absent-mindedly to the window.

I nearly dropped the glass smashing to the floor, because there was a shadowy figure standing at the back door. My jaw slackened and a fierce swoop of fear savaged my stomach.

Then I saw a dazzling smile, and I partially relaxed. It was Gerard.

I grimaced as I realised that I was dressed only in comfy sports shorts and my favourite jack Wills hoodie, with my hair tied up in a very messy pony tail.

Nevertheless, I recognised the slow return of sensation in my body, returned Gerard’s smile, and hastily opened the back door.

He was soaked through; I could see the beads of water glistening on the impervious surface of his leather jacket. He was conspicuously dripping water all over the kitchen floor, so I grabbed a cloth and mopped it up, leaving him looking slightly wrong-footed.

“What brings you here?” I whispered curiously, but smiling to show that I was pleased to see him.

“Just wanted to hang out,” he whispered back with a naughty little grin that sent shivers running up and down my spine.

“Why didn’t you drive and come round the front?” I asked curiously,

“Mikey has my car, and I figured that your mom wouldn’t exactly be too happy to see me,”

I had almost forgotten that my mum was in the house! I quickly glanced back to check that she was still happily engrossed in Law and Order. Thankfully, she was.

“Come on,” I hissed, “let’s go upstairs,” I tried to shake the sexual connotations from my mind as I carefully sneaked him up the stairs.

“I’ve never been in your room before,” he breathed as we crossed the threshold. I tried not to notice the wet footprints he was leaving all over the ground.

“Let’s get you dry,” I said matter-of-factly, even if he did look cute with wet hair. “You’ll catch a cold!”

He grinned crookedly as I hurried off into my bathroom to get a clean, fluffy pink towel.

“Pink?” he asked, as I handed it to him.

“You got a problem with that?” I challenged with an eyebrow raised.

“You’re lucky you have your own bathroom,” he said sitting on the edge of my bed and taking his wet jacket off. I went and sat on my bed behind him with the towel and hairdryer, to start drying his hair.

“Perks of being an only child,” I grinned back, starting to towel dry his soft tresses.

I couldn’t resist, so eventually I just ended up running my hands through his hair longingly. He seemed to relax and lean back, and for a minute there was an awkward, tension filled pause.

“So anyway,” I said, turning on the hairdryer onto a low heat, “how was your day?”

“Good,” he replied, “better now,” he grinned cheekily.

Was he flirting with me? I could never tell, let alone attempt flirting myself.

“How was your day?” he asked,

“Good,” I replied in a slightly high pitched voice. I was blushing again.

A few more tense minutes passed, and I scarcely noticed that his hair was falling through my hands, now completely dry.

“I think its dry now,” said Gerard, turning around and pressing the off button for me. Our fingers brushed, and electricity prickled excitingly there. We both looked down at our hands in apparent wonder.

“I guess,” I said, scared that if I looked into his perfect hazel eyes he would be able to read what was going on in my mind.

“Thank you,”

I couldn’t help it, I looked up into his eyes from beneath my eyelashes.

“Don’t do that,” he said, and as I felt his breath on my face I realised he was leaning a little closer to me,

“Do what?” I asked, feeling myself indulge in leaning a little closer too,

“Look at me like that, I don’t think I can...”

“Can what?” I asked.

We were moving closer by the nanosecond.

“You’re too fucking beautiful,” he said, and then suddenly the gap between us was closed.

At first I was shocked, and I couldn’t even respond. But as his lips continued to caress mine, the feeling of infinite pleasure washed over me. It was like a dream. Gerard was kissing me, at long last...