Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 26

The freezing air of February was just beginning to thaw. Outside the icy wind pressed urgently against the house, and inside Gerard’s lips were pressed urgently to mine. There was an explosion of ecstasy, and then there was quiet.

We lay breathing shallowly for a while, and the stars hadn’t quite disappeared from my eyes as I nestled into Gerard’s warm shoulder, wishing that I could be welded to be a part of him.

“You’re so beautiful when you’re like this,” me murmured softly, and I closed my eyes contentedly because he was running his fingers through my hair.

“Like what?” I asked, “sweaty, frizzy haired, and red faced?”

“No,” he said, squeezing me once, “when you’re your natural and beautiful self,”

I giggled, and shook my head.

“Natural curly hair,” he whispered, once again running a hand through a lock of my hair, “no make-up,” his finger traced my bare face, “you are always gorgeous,”

I couldn’t help but grin happily, and I threw my arms around his neck, kissing him deeply.

“You’re pretty good looking yourself Mr,” I told him happily, “I don’t deserve you,”

He laughed ironically, “You can’t be serious,”

I didn’t say anything, but I just curled up in a ball in his arms.

I loved hanging out with Gerard at his house, because there were no secrets there. His parents were both fully aware of our relationship and they loved me. Gerard didn’t have to worry about putting his arms around me or kissing me in front of anyone (even if Mikey did tease us something dreadful).

At my house, on the other hand, everything was totally secret. If she found out that I was even spending time alone with a boy – or man, for that matter, three years older than me, she would flip out. If I told her that I was in a fairly serious relationship with Gerard, I knew that she would be devastated, hysterical, and would probably forbid me from seeing him.

Gerard’s breathing was becoming deeper and more even now, so I inferred that he was starting to drift off to sleep.

I dimly considered what might happen to me if I couldn’t see him anymore. The very thought of it made me strangely alert, and weirdly frightened that something bad could snuff out our relationship. Being known to all as a couple was liberating and all, but it also put us up for scrutiny and vulnerable to external damage.
Looking at Gerard’s perfect face I realised that what I really wanted was to keep him for myself forever.

“Please don’t leave me,” I whispered,

“Don’t be so stupid,” he grunted, and I felt my face flush even more; I was certain that he had been asleep.

“I thought you were asleep,” I confessed,

“And I thought you were sensible,” he countered, propping himself upright on his elbows.

His eyes were still half shut and he looked adorably sleepy, “I’d have to be crazy to leave you, you idiot,” he said.

I didn’t want to voice my opinion that maybe one day he would be ‘crazy’ enough to do it and leave me way behind him.

“Hello?” a voice called out suddenly, from downstairs. It was Donna, presumably accompanied by Donald, returning from their anniversary dinner.

“We should go down and say hey,” I said matter-of-factly, and Gerard agreed with a fervent nod of his head.

We were just about to walk out of the door and downstairs when we heard a resounding, authoritative knock on the door.

I threw Gerard a funny look, confused at who might be at the door. Mikey was the only person absent, and he would have a key...

“Who’d you reckon...” I began to say, but Gerard quickly quietened me.

The sound of the door opening with a slight creak came up the stairs to us.

“Oh! Hello!” said Donna, sounding wrong-footed and surprised,

Gerard and I pricked our ears up, leaning over the banister of the stairs to listen in.

“Mrs Way?” said a man’s voice,

“Yes,” she replied and I detected a hint of fear in her voice, “what do you want?”

“We need to speak to your son, Mr Way,” said the man, and I was shocked to see a police officer cross the threshold.

My blood ran cold, and I turned to Gerard in despair and shock, longing to ask ‘what the hell did you do?’

He was perfect in my eyes, and I couldn’t stand the idea of him being ruined. I felt tears start to rush to my eyes; we were only just starting out.

His expression was as shocked as mine, and his imploring hazel eyes seemed to be trying to tell me that he was innocent of reproach.

“He’s just upstairs,” said Donna, sounding utterly dazed,

“Donna, what’s all this?” came Donald’s perplexed voice,

“Gerard!” called Donna, but he was already on his way down the stairs, having given me a fleeting kiss on my cheek.

I gently began to sneak down the stairs after him, remaining hidden in the shadows with just enough of a view to see and hear what was going on clearly.

“Gerard Way?” asked the police officer, who I now saw was accompanied by a softer faced female officer,

“Yeah,” said Gerard, and my heart broke when I heard the quaver of fear in his voice,

“You are under arrest under suspicion of Statutory rape. You do not have to say anything, but anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law.”

My knees started to buckle and my vision went black; I heard the sound of the hand cuffs before I saw their silvery glimmer...