Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 30

Somehow, within the matter of a week, Mikey and Annabelle had reconciled and were once again enjoying their sickly sweet, intensely irritating relationship. It wasn’t so easy for me to move past the previous week’s events.

The combined message of both Mikey and Annabelle’s warnings to me weighed on my mind like a heavy dumbbell that could not be shifted.

I wanted more than anything to turn a blind eye to the issues they had raised, but I knew that it was not a possibility.

I spent all of my time secretly considering the weight of their arguments, and analysing every minute action of Gerard’s. Sometimes I forgot myself and allowed myself to slip into a sense of security, but I was always dragged unwillingly back into reality by the niggling thought that Annabelle and Mikey may have been right. Was he flirting with other girls at Jake’s party? Did he have the potential to be a cheat risk when intoxicated?

“What’s on your mind sugar?” asked Gerard, and I was startled by the smooth sound of his voice in my ear. We were sitting on his couch, watching a film, and I had been a million miles away worrying about the state of our relationship.

Now a new debate came rushing into my mind. Should I tell Gerard about what Mikey had said, and Annabelle had subsequently corroborated?

I didn’t want him to think that I was obsessive or overly neurotic about our relationship. The problem was, the more I thought about the views both Mikey and Annabelle expressed, the more I became distant and unsure of myself. It seemed like telling him was the only sane option.

“Just...something someone said,” I said evasively, knowing that he would probe me further,

He frowned a little, pausing the film that was still playing out before us. “Who?” he asked, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion,

“Mikey...” I whispered, slightly regretting my decision to reveal all, “and Annabelle,”

His frown grew heavier, “what did they say that’s affected you so badly?”

“Well...” it was more difficult than I expected to put into words, “they just warned me a bit...”
He looked a little bit angry, and took a tight hold of my hand, “what did they warn you about?”
I took in a deep breath, and tried to look as innocent as possible, lest he decide that I was somehow to blame and get angry, “well they just sort of said that maybe you might get a bit like Annabelle is,”

He gripped my hand even more tightly and his eyes flashed dangerously, “what do you mean?” he asked,

“Well,” I began, feeling that I was selling Mikey and Annabelle short through not presenting their argument too eloquently, “they both seemed to think that maybe you could lose control when drunk and perhaps do some similar things...”

“And that’s what’s upset you?” demanded Gerard, looking as angry as I had ever seen him, almost as angry as when the incident had occurred with the guy in the club. I let my head whizz back in time to that moment and I felt in awe; it seemed like it was 200 years ago. We had come such a long way since then, we were a proper couple with all the trappings of commitment. I suddenly felt a lot more self assured and confident in our relationship. This feeling of security overwhelmed me, and I looked once again into Gerard’s agitated hazel eyes. There was genuineness in them, a very real feeling of outrage that communicated more than he could say with mere words.

“Yeah,” I said, not fearing his wrath anymore, because I knew that, just like all that time ago with the fiend in the bar, he only wanted to protect me.

“I can’t believe that they would say that about me!” he raged, looking livid,

“I know...” I said, hanging my head, “and I didn’t want to believe it but it just got to me a bit, you know?”

He nodded, pulling me into a close hug.

“I know,” he said, “but let me tell you something,” I distanced myself a little bit and smiled up at him. Instantly his expression soften and his beautiful face cracked a winning smile at me, “I love you. Just you, no one else...when I go into a bar or wherever, I don’t even notice any other girls because you’re the only one I can see!”

I grinned crookedly, wrapping my arms tightly around him, “really?”

Normally I didn’t like it when people went all over the top and emotional with their feelings, but with Gerard, it was like all of my birthdays and Christmases coming at once.

“Really,” he affirmed, “from the moment I met you at that stupid Christmas party I could tell that Annabelle was trying to set us up, and all that I could think was that you were way too good for me,”

I giggled, “how could you ever think that?” I asked,

“Well, do you have time for me to list them all?”

“Stop,” I said, playfully shoving him, “you’re making me blush,”

“You’re cute when you blush,”

Our eyes met, and we both flashed each other identical smiles.

“You’re way cleverer than any other girl I’ve met, you’re talented too, considerate, kind, friendly, not to mention probably the hottest girl alive!”

I shoved him again, “liar,” I said, sticking out my tongue,

“No joke,” he said, raising his eyebrows in a cute way, “I showed a picture of you to my college friends and they were like ‘well done,’”

“Stop flattering me!” I told him girlishly, blushing the way I always did whenever he lavished tension on me.

“Ok,” he agreed, kissing my cheek tenderly, “but I want you to know that you are probably the best thing in my life right now, and that I wouldn’t risk what we had for anything...no matter how much alcohol ingested, or how many available sluts around.”
I looked into his sincere hazel eyes for one last time before kissing him.

‘Mikey and Annabelle can go screw themselves,’ I thought, ‘I’m sure.’

I could trust him, I knew it.