Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 5

Five

“So spill about Gerard!” said Annabelle excitedly. We had been hanging out for a few hours already, but I could tell that she had been longing to gush out those words since the minute I had arrived on her doorstep.

It was the day after boxing day, and all of the Christmas cheer had subsided somewhat, and given way to that slightly deflated feeling after all of the merriment.

We had been through the usual topics of conversation; what we got for Christmas, and how we rated our days with our respective families; but it was clear to me from her wandering eye and uncontainable grin that what she really wanted to talk about was a subject never far off from her mind – my love life.

“There isn’t anything to spill about,” I sighed, rolling over onto my front and looking absent-mindedly out of the window.

She made an ‘argh’ sound at the back of her throat and mimicked my actions. “What I mean is, what did you think of him?”
Her hazel eyes were as wide as dinner plates and her red hair seemed to crackle with electricity. The gleam in her eye told me that there was no way that I would be able to get her to leave this one alone.

“I barely spent 5 minutes with him,” I said coyly, not wanting to admit the truth; which was that in those short minutes, he had successfully given me butterflies and rendered me utterly tongue tied.

“Yeah, but you must have gotten a general impression!” pushed Annabelle. She knew me too well; she knew that there was more to tell.
“Fine,” I gave in, “I thought that he was really…attractive,” I conceded, “and…I guess I kinda got butterflies a little bit,” I saw her face light up with an excited smile. “Just a little bit!” I protested, but it was too late.

“There’s nothing wrong with having feelings for a guy!” said Annabelle, “you’ve just got to embrace it…when are you going to see him again?” she demanded, almost threateningly; as though if I said I wasn’t, she would go and drag me by my hair to his house.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged, “I guess I’ll see him when I see him,”

Little did I know that that would be sooner than I thought.